The Student Room Group

Successful at AS - so is Cambridge possible?

Hi! I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS - and was doing quite well with them; especially because I was considering applying to Cambridge. Then, the exams came and I thought they went much worse than I expected. Because of this, I decided to give up on Cambridge as I thought the pursuit to be pointless. However, this was not the case, as at A-Level I obtained:
Maths - A - 300/300
Further Maths - A - 251/300
Physics - A - 269/300
Plus chemistry (which I'm almost certainly dropping at A2) - A - 256/300

My three relevant A-levels average out at 91.1%; this is above the average Cambridge applicant. I'm right in saying that I do have a chance, yes, and is there anything I can do to increase my chance? I'm already reading around maths/physics (what I want to apply for) a lot. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you have a chance at Cambridge. You might want to increase your Further Maths score but as long as you continue your grades seem fine. Reading about your chosen subject will also enhance you application to show you are interested and devoted to the subject.
You do have a chance, although I believe you are around the average science applicant (science applicants usually have a higher average than arts applicants); nonetheless, a perfect maths score will look good.
Congrats on that maths score.
What course are you applying for? I applied for Engineering with a marginally better UMS score than yours and got rejected after interview (due to my UMS marks).

I'd say yes you have a chance, but to increase your chances you absolutely need to ace the interview because they place more importance on UMS than interview. (especially Cambridge)
(edited 9 years ago)
Your UMS results aren't as fantastic as some applicants but you certainly have a chance - so if you want to, go for it!
Original post by Stickman
What course are you applying for? I applied for Engineering with a marginally better UMS score than yours and got rejected after interview (due to my UMS marks).

I'd say yes you have a chance, but to increase your chances you absolutely need to ace the interview because they place more importance on UMS than interview. (especially Cambridge)

Did they tell you they had rejected you due to your UMS? I'm surprised, because while more people with higher UMS get in, I know people who got in with fairly low (for Cambridge) UMS because the rest of their application was so strong...
Do they look at individual modules exams or just the overall grade UMS?

And for humanities subjects do you reckon Eng Lit (96%) French (88%) Geography (92%) and Maths (92%) would be enough to get in to study English Literature?
Original post by georginaoxford
Do they look at individual modules exams or just the overall grade UMS?

And for humanities subjects do you reckon Eng Lit (96%) French (88%) Geography (92%) and Maths (92%) would be enough to get in to study English Literature?

It's certainly good enough to have a reasonable chance. They do look at individual modules to some extent.
Original post by LeFailFish
Did they tell you they had rejected you due to your UMS? I'm surprised, because while more people with higher UMS get in, I know people who got in with fairly low (for Cambridge) UMS because the rest of their application was so strong...

Yes my UMS wasn't strong enough (92-93).
Reply 10
Thanks all, I read around maths and physics (especially physics) somewhat anyway so that's good!
I'm applying for Maths with Physics - as I'm not sure which I want to do more and can decide after year 1 in cambridge which is good. Leaning towards physics right now though.

If I get an interview I'll see how that goes, I'm not banking on Cambridge but really want to have a crack at it as I know I'm capable of the workload and such.
Definitely in with a chance, I applied (and drowned in the pool) with only marginally better UMS marks for physical Nat Sci, so similar, they made it clear my grades were sufficient and it was an average interview that let me down. Smash that and I see no reason why you can't go one better than me!
Original post by Garmort
Hi! I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS - and was doing quite well with them; especially because I was considering applying to Cambridge. Then, the exams came and I thought they went much worse than I expected. Because of this, I decided to give up on Cambridge as I thought the pursuit to be pointless. However, this was not the case, as at A-Level I obtained:
Maths - A - 300/300
Further Maths - A - 251/300
Physics - A - 269/300
Plus chemistry (which I'm almost certainly dropping at A2) - A - 256/300

My three relevant A-levels average out at 91.1%; this is above the average Cambridge applicant. I'm right in saying that I do have a chance, yes, and is there anything I can do to increase my chance? I'm already reading around maths/physics (what I want to apply for) a lot. Thanks!

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it:smile:
Yes, you definitely have a chance, they're great results man!
I'm in a similar position, do you guys think I have a shot at least getting an interview for Cambridge economics?

A2 Maths- 488/600- A*-81% overall, 92% average C3&4
My applied modules let me down big time, I got 87+ in all core modules however.
AS Geography- 190/200-A (getting a remark)- 95%
AS Economics- 189/200-A- 95%
AS History- 176/200-A-88% (dropping it)

90.3% UMS across maths, eco, geog
89.7% UMS across all 4
Taking AS&A2 Further Maths next year.

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Johnpeters
Yes, you definitely have a chance, they're great results man!
I'm in a similar position, do you guys think I have a shot at least getting an interview for Cambridge economics?

A2 Maths- 488/600- A*-81% overall, 92% average C3&4
My applied modules let me down big time, I got 87+ in all core modules however.
AS Geography- 190/200-A (getting a remark)- 95%
AS Economics- 189/200-A- 95%
AS History- 176/200-A-88% (dropping it)

Taking AS&A2 Further Maths next year.

Thanks.

Yes you have a shot at an interview.
Reply 15
Thanks all! Another question, if it's okay - my college did a weird thing where they offered critical thinking AS only but you did one exam each year - so we didn't have to give the grade first year - and I've done the first year exam and got a C. Is there any repercussion of taking the second exam through this second year, such as them thinking I'm not a straight-A student? Thanks :-)
Original post by Garmort
Thanks all! Another question, if it's okay - my college did a weird thing where they offered critical thinking AS only but you did one exam each year - so we didn't have to give the grade first year - and I've done the first year exam and got a C. Is there any repercussion of taking the second exam through this second year, such as them thinking I'm not a straight-A student? Thanks :-)

They are very unlikely to care about Critical Thinking, it isn't considered a worthwhile subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
They are very unlikely to care about Critical Thinking, it isn't considered a worthwhile subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, granted, but will it harm my chances at all? Because our lessons are a mere hour a week (and they don't give us) and I wouldn't be doing anything in the hour anyway so it wouldn't lessen anything else; my only concern is the lower grade affecting anything :-/
Original post by Garmort
Yeah, granted, but will it harm my chances at all? Because our lessons are a mere hour a week (and they don't give us) and I wouldn't be doing anything in the hour anyway so it wouldn't lessen anything else; my only concern is the lower grade affecting anything :-/

I can't imagine Cambridge taking any notice of Critical Thinking at all, although I might be wrong. As they do not include it in their offers then they can't really complain about it being too low.
I can't imagine Cambridge taking any notice of Critical Thinking at all, although I might be wrong. As they do not include it in their offers then they can't really complain about it being too low.

The advice we got from our teachers was that unis would look down on your application if your CT grade is considerably lower than your AS grades and predicted grades. A bad grade shows unis that you will only work hard if you want to and so if you're studying a specific topic you don't like at uni which is more or less bound to happen then you won't work as hard which unis obviously won't want. It can show that you're not a "well rounded " applicant as your grades and PS should show.

Although this made sense to me, bear in mind this is the advice we got at the start of the course and so may have been said just so we worked hard in it.

Quick Reply

Latest