The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
One final, final question. I am considering applying to cambridge to study MML. I took A2 maths along with ASs in two languages and economics. I was awarded an A star in maths and was wondering whether, having taken maths A level in junior sixth, would it be possible to drop economics and take up an AS more suited to my course? Would cambridge require 3 A levels at the end of the A2 year or would they be happy to "count" the A level I have already taken as fulfilling part if any offer that might be made? I.e. would it be likely that they require an A* in the second year or would they include my maths A-level as a part of that? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Necrosyrtes
I mentioned this in the previous sentence, I just showed that the 'false' case could be true in an attempt to remove the OP of the question's confusion.

I also looked at the Pt II questions, and I agree - they are quite interesting. I think I'd go for the first one, as there's more I can immediately think of to say. My quick conclusion on the second question is that the spiller objectively and directly caused the events which led to the death, but the poisoner had the intent and would've killed the person had the accident not happened. I think the person walking in the desert should probably have checked before they went out there though that they had water, so there is something to say there. I don't think I can form a good essay off it though.

The first question seems to have more depth at first sight, so I'd choose that one I think.

I think that if I had the money and the time there are about 5 degrees I would go for, but I have neither so unfortunately have to choose only one (for now). If this is the sort of thing that you learn in a philosophy degree, I'd be up for it, but I think I'd just end up having to memorise arguments of prominent philosophers, with a bit of deep thought on the side, and so I wouldn't like it too much. This is one of the subjects I will consider studying in my spare time I think, along with some others.

Hmm personally I think the first question is a bit more shallow. I'd start by defining more precisely what 'most efficient' means then basically say 'yeah, so it's possible to have justifiable goals apart from efficiency e.g. punishing may be better at instilling moral conduct than paying £10 is, even if it less efficient at stopping OB breaking toys'. I could probably bs some more on top of this but I feel it'd be superfluous - but maybe that's why I'm not a philosopher. :tongue:

I agree with your assessment of the second question but I feel like it's a bit less 'trivial' than the first question, if you see what I mean. You could plausibly do a 'for and against' format for each participant, so at least you can write more if nothing else!

Edit: although now I think about it, I guess it's possible to enter a discussion of whether it is justifiable to cause LB more than minimal distress with the goal of improved behaviour/outcomes for OB . . . so yeah, maybe question 1 after all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ClickItBack
Hmm personally I think the first question is a bit more shallow. I'd start by defining more precisely what 'most efficient' means then basically say 'yeah, so it's possible to have justifiable goals apart from efficiency e.g. punishing may be better at instilling moral conduct than paying £10 is, even if it less efficient at stopping OB breaking toys'. I could probably bs some more on top of this but I feel it'd be superfluous - but maybe that's why I'm not a philosopher. :tongue:

I agree with your assessment of the second question but I feel like it's a bit less 'trivial' than the first question, if you see what I mean. You could plausibly do a 'for and against' format for each participant, so at least you can write more if nothing else!

Edit: although now I think about it, I guess it's possible to enter a discussion of whether it is justifiable to cause LB more than minimal distress with the goal of improved behaviour/outcomes for OB . . . so yeah, maybe question 1 after all.

I thought the main focus of Q1 they were trying to suggest was concerning consequentialism. It's interesting to an extent but very difficult unless you've read a couple of non-consequentialist Philosophers, and I haven't personally.

(sorry for the off-topic btw)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I thought the main focus of Q1 they were trying to suggest was concerning consequentialism. It's interesting to an extent but very difficult unless you've read a couple of non-consequentialist Philosophers, and I haven't personally.

(sorry for the off-topic btw)

Consequentialism . . . yes . . . :vroam:

Guess I'm happy with armchair philosophising rather than proper academic stuff :tongue:.
AS Results
Maths - 99%, English - 79.5%, Chemistry - 77%, Psychology - 70%

I didn't really mentally mature until about January this year, and so these grades reflect a mere fraction of my potential. I also chose the wrong subjects, for the upcoming A2 year I will be taking Maths, Further Maths AS&A2, Chemistry. I will achieve A*A*A* in these subjects, with probably 95% or above UMS average for the 12 units over Maths and Further.

Is there a point to me even bothering to apply this year, or should I wait until next year? It would probably be a stronger application as I'd already have the grades and would have 5 AS levels too.

Thanks
Sorry to be a bore, but does an average UMS of 92% and a Pre-U History prediction of a D2 coupled with A-level predictions of A* and A respectively effectively guarantee me an interview if I'm applying for History?

Many thanks!

p.s Are there many Marxist historians at Cambridge ?
Hi, thank you so much for opening such a useful thread!

I have just received my AS':
-100% Geography,
-90% Economics and Business,
-77% English Literature,
-75% History.
(89% average for my best 3).

I grossly under-performed in History and English Literature, and with a re-mark I am expecting History to be 100% or thereabouts (as I never received less than 95% in mocks and homework) and English I'm not sure about; I hope that it goes up but I do not have the absolute confidence that I do for History.

I did, however, receive a Certificate of Merit for a Cambridge Classics competition (having never studied [or even heard] of it before); the basis was Literary and Historical. I am hoping that this will, to an extent, quell worries about my ability in History and English. Do you feel that is it valid enough proof?

I would like to still apply for HSPS (from a non-selective comprehensive school), and was wondering how much you think my grades (as they stand) will hinder my application? I would be likely to focus on: Archaeology, Social Anthropology, Egyptology and Assyriology.

Also, I notice that the college I want to apply to has a 'test at interview', which I'm not fully sure what is meant by this, despite doing a lot of research in order to find out. I was just worried as HSPS is such a diverse subject and I would have no idea what to expect. I saw 'test' and felt that inferred that it may be the type of questioning that has 'wrong' and 'right' answers. But I really have no idea and am concerned that it could negatively affect my application further should I under-perform on it, should it not fit with my strengths. I guess I'm really asking whether it would be along the lines of verbal and mathematical reasoning, essay writing or a general knowledge and/or current affairs type of questioning?

Thank you very much in advance for any help or advice that you are able to give!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fifa97
Hello again.
I just started school today and i'm not sure if I should drop physics or carry on doing it till A2. Would doing 4 sciences up to A2 be beneficial in the selection process or is 4 sciences up to AS then 3 sciences to A2 acceptable? Do you prefer candidates who drop a subject and take 3 a levels and use the extra time to read around their subjects and medicine or those who do 4 a levels but have slightly less time ? Would the decision of 3 or 4 have an impact in the admissions process? I remember you telling me that doing 4 sciences is beneficial if you do well in the 4th which I feel I have but how will this apply going from AS to A2 since you wouldn't know how we do till results day and the offers would have already been made? I'm interested in all my subjects and feel I can do well at 4 but I might benefit more by working harder and looking into biology, chemistry and maths in more detail. What is your opinion on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello again and thanks for your further question. There really isn't a fixed position on this at Cambridge, we do not 'prefer' either three or four or five A Levels as I think we recognise that different things will suit different people and that what is good for one person is not necessarily going to be the best for someone else.

You need to decide what is the best option for you - whether you feel your studies as a medical student will beneft from the extra bredth of a fourth Science or from the depth that you will be able to go in by just concentrating on three. If a student wants to do four and will do well in four then I would encourage him/her to do all four but if they would prefer to focus on three then that is good too. What we do not want to see, however, is a student doing all four and the time spent on the fourth compromises the performance in the other three. We would rather a student did really well in three than quite well in four. Doing really well in three A2s is quite enough to set oneself up well to do medical science at Cambridge.

I am sorry not to give a firmer steer to you but it really is your decision and you should make it for your benefit not on the basis of what will please us as you are already doing all that we require of you. I hope this is of some use.
Original post by Jeffrey_K
Hi,

I am currently in A2 taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French. However I have been given to option to do further maths (2 modules: Pure 1&2) but in order to do this I would have to drop French. I plan to apply for the natural sciences.
I should also point out that I have lived in France my entire life (17 years) and am fluent in the language.

I am not sure which of the two I should choose, so it would be appreciated to be given advice on which choice is more desirable for a University.

Thanks!

If you have any interest in taking Physics as part of the Nat Sci tripos then you should definitely do the Further Maths and drop the French. if you want to do Chemistry then it is less important to do FM but is probably still worth doing it as it will stand you in better stead than doing French, a language you are already fluent in.
Original post by JayKaur
Thanks for this, I'll try to be brief!

I'm applying for Spanish and Italian this year, but I'm just a bit worried about my chances of being called to interview. I didn't get what I had hoped at AS, I received AABD with As in Spanish and History, a high B in maths and the D in physics. My top 3 UMS is 83%, and I have extenuating circumstances if that helps. I attended a languages summer school at Sidney Sussex, and they told me to still go ahead with an application as my Spanish result was really good, and I'm still on track for an A*AA. I think I'll interview quite well and show that I'm passionate about the subject, I'm just apprehensive that I won't get that far. Do you think I can still make a decent application? Thank you so much!

Thanks for your question and I hope you enjoyed the summer school at Sidney. If they told you to apply at Sidney I am not going to gainsay them though, as you recognise, your UMS is weaker compared to that of most applicants. With a good score in Spanish and exentuating circumstances I would think you have a decent chance of an interview though this is not certain.
How many Afghans made it into Cambridge in general and Christ's more specifically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marinee
Hello! I have a question concerning a friend. She has already taken her French Baccalaureate and she got an average of 16.8. However, she only got a 14 in Maths. Since she is interested in Economics courses, how much would this hinder her application (at Cambridge but also possibly at other universities, is 14 considered like a really low grade?)? And would she have good chances applying for the Land Economy course since she received really good grades in other subjects like Languages and Philosophy? Thank you!

Hi there and thanks for your question. She should not apply to Cambridge for Economics with 14 in Maths. We would expect at least a 17 and most French students would have 19 or 20 in Maths. She would have a better chance applying for Land Economy if, having read the course description, she thinks it is a course that would suit her.
Original post by munited
Hi quick question,
If I am aiming to get into a computer science course, would I stand a realistic chance against those taking further maths or other mathematical subject. I am taking Maths, History and Business Studies at A2.
Thanks

It is going to be difficult for you to gain entry with just Maths. You can see on the course requirements tab of the Comp Sci entry requirements page that most colleges prefer FM and a lot prefer Physics as well. If your Maths is very strong you might be ok but you will start from a position of disadvantage compared to candidates with more Maths/Science than you have.
Original post by sir albert
My daughter starts her AS levels this time next year. Given that the present Government have decided to change the structure and format of many AS levels starting next September, de-coupling them from A2s, how will this impact how you assess candidates?

I'm assuming that the proposed changes must have a fundamental effect on how you evaluate prospective students. Will you simply replace current format AS level results with the new format AS level final results? Is it likely that GCSEs will take on more importance, temporarily, whilst the new AS levels bed down? Decisions on this will affect those embarking on GCSEs now.

For some subjects, as no doubt you know, the changes won't be implemented until the year after. The likely scenario for my daughter is that she will be sitting English and History 'new' AS levels whilst sitting German 'old' AS level (plus one other) at the same time.

How will Cambridge evaluate candidates given the 'dog's breakfast' changeover? (or 'large cat's' changeover at Selwyn)

While the current format makes assessing A Level candidates easier for us and we know there is a strong link between A level performance and Cambridge performance, it also helps students make decisions about which universities are realistically within range and provides them with a bredth in Year 12 taking four or five AS Levels that they won't get in a linear three A Level system. These are some of the reasons why the University has argued for the retention of AS in its current format.

There is a good chance now that the change will not happen as the Labour Party has said that it will halt the change and do more research into the question. If the Conservatives are returned to power, however, and the change does go ahead from September 2015, we are in internal discussions and also in discussions with other HE providers and schools about how we might proceed. Nothing has been decided yet but what we do will aim to keep public exams at the forefront of our decision making and any changes we make will be rigorous tested to ensure that they correlate with performance at Cambridge.

We currently are able to assess thousands of students each year who do not have UMS so it is not as if we do not have experience of this but life would be a lot clearer for students, parents, schools anduniversity were the government to at least pause this policy and not introduce it piecemeal as it looks as if they will.
Original post by joecaverly
Hello, just wondering in your general and subject specific interview will the person interviewing you have already seen all the other aspects of your application and will they question you on anything on your personal statement?

You should be prepared to talk about anything you have sent us (the PS, the SAQ and any written work). Your interviewers will have read yuor application form and any wirtten work you send in. They may not ask for about them but you should be prepared for them to do so.
Original post by joecaverly
Hello, just wondering in your general and subject specific interview will the person interviewing you have already seen all the other aspects of your application and will they question you on anything on your personal statement?

You should be prepared to talk about anything you have sent us (the PS, the SAQ and any written work). The interviewers will have seen your whole application up to that point (with the possible exception of any test you hve done at interview) and you should be prepared to answer questions about these things.
Original post by AJPaul
How much are relevant extracurriculars taken into consideration when choosing applicants?

I have already gained the GOLD Crest award, Ogden trust Award and recently an investigation myself and some classmates carried out has been chosen to be published in the Contemporary Physics Journal by Taylor and Francis. And next next year I hope to take part in either the Physics or Maths olympiad. Is this a serious advantage or are places based solely on grades?

And if i choose to do 3 A2 subject instead of 4 do these extracurriculars compensate for not taking the 4th subject? I take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, and want to drop chemistry due to my low ums (241/300) with the hope to study Maths with physics at cambridge.

Thank you very much for your time.

PS. would you advise me in not taking the 4th subject or is it best to take 4 even though chemistry my weakest area and I also have to study for STEP (I know thats not your decision but any information you have will help a great deal)

It is absolutely fine for you to drop Chemistry if you wish, especially if you intend to concentrate on STEP. Super curricular activities are helpful for you in developing your abilities in and uderstanding of your subject and if you do well in competitions etc. that is good but is not going to get you a place on its own. What they do, however, is hopefully indicate that you are a strong candidate which will be reflected elsewhere in your application.
Original post by karesade
Hi!
I have a question, and I'll be very grateful if you decided to answer my question.
I was very disappointed when the results came out having got a C in AS English Literature. I feel that this low grade might hinder my chances of getting into a medical school at Cambridge. Many people advised me not to apply to Cambridge, saying that the C will extremely disadvantage my application.
Could you please tell me whether a C in AS English Literature affect my chances of studying medicine (even slightly)?
IGCSE 9A* and 2A
AS C in English literature
Alevels 4A* in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Arabic. I'm still doing A level Physics.
Thanks in advance.

Hi there and thank you for your question. Congratulations also on your four A*s. While we look at all aspects of an application for Medicine (and indeed for any Sciience at Cambridge), it is you performance in your Science A Levels that is going to be of overwhelming performance. With 9 A*s at GCSE and A*s in Biology, Chemistry and Maths with Physics to come, there is no reason why you should not be a realistic applicant for Medicine at Cambridge.
Original post by C0balt
Has there been any Japanese students accepted at Christ in recent years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean students who are Japanese or students who wish to do Japanese in Asian and Middle Eastern study? The answer to both is yes.
How much emphasis do you place on predicted grades? Will they be considered to show that I under performed in a subject? E.g. if I get an A* prediction with <90% at AS Level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending