The Student Room Group

Foreign language AS grade v A2 grade

Hi, I was wondering what mark you got in a foreign language at AS compared with A2?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to drop my Spanish AS because I love the subject but struggle with it and only received a D at AS (9 ums of a C). I just want to see if people normally go up a grade and improve or stay the same, thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I got a C in AQA AS French last year (4 UMS off a B) so I decided to retake unit 1 to boost my grade and take the pressure off the other units. I worked my butt off all year and came out with a B in unit 3 and an A in unit 4! I actually did worse than last year in my unit 1 resit but did so well in my A2 units that I got a B overall.

My friend also got a D last year (really high B in unit 2 but a U in unit 1) and resat unit 1 like me. Overall, she ended up with a C!

I find that the A2 units are easier than AS as you get to study pretty much what you want with your cultural topics, but a bit of hard work and it will all pay off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sammyruse
I got a C in AQA AS French last year (4 UMS off a B) so I decided to retake unit 1 to boost my grade and take the pressure off the other units. I worked my butt off all year and came out with a B in unit 3 and an A in unit 4! I actually did worse than last year in my unit 1 resit but did so well in my A2 units that I got a B overall.

My friend also got a D last year (really high B in unit 2 but a U in unit 1) and resat unit 1 like me. Overall, she ended up with a C!

I find that the A2 units are easier than AS as you get to study pretty much what you want with your cultural topics, but a bit of hard work and it will all pay off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? It's great to hear with hard work you can improve at A2! I'm a bit like your friend as I got a B in the speaking but an E in unit 2 (3 off a D)which balanced out to be a D :s-smilie: I'm just worried that I will find A2 overwhelming. Well done on your result by the way! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Zango11
Really? It's great to hear with hard work you can improve at A2! I'm a bit like your friend as I got a B in the speaking but an E in unit 2 (3 off a D)which balanced out to be a D :s-smilie: I'm just worried that I will find A2 overwhelming. Well done on your result by the way! :biggrin:

Yeah just make sure you work really heard and you'll do fine! If it helps, I found A2 much easier and more enjoyable than AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I have a friend who got a C in AS French and German. She was really upset but in a way it was good because it really motivated her to work hard with her A2s. She re-took the AS oral and paper for both French and German and ended up with an A* in French and an A in German, so you really can improve and as my languages say it's the subject where you see the biggest improvement between AS and A2.
Reply 5
I got a B in Japanese AS, retook the AS exam alongside A2 and got 1 mark off an A*. So, yes, it is possible! The step up from AS to A2 in most languages is pretty non-existent compared to the gulf between GCSE and AS.
Reply 6
I got a low C at AS in French (Edexcel), then ended up with a high B at A2. A2 I found much more enjoyable - literature and debates etc. The best thing about doing a language o A2 is that with AS resits you're almost guaranteed to go up, seeing as you become even better at the language!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending