The Student Room Group

Kings A *starszzzz

Hey, I'm considering applying to KCL next year. However, there's rumour going round that Kings usually interview people with 4/5 A*'s+ (even though they don't specify this in their prospectus). The rumour seems to be true looking at a few of my friends GCSE grades. (8A*'s, 6A*'s, 10*'s, 7A*'s lol)

So, if you got an interview at Kings for Medicine (5 yr), how many A*'s did u get at GCSE level?
Reply 1
never did GCSE's but got all A* equivalent at my russian school...sorry
Reply 2
That rumour is complete rubbish... i got 3A*s at GCSE and im starting my second year of med at kings in a few weeks. Im also paid by the uni to talk to prospective students at open days and the admissions tutor has specifically said that that is one of the daftest rumours he's heard, as long as you have the minimum GCSE grades required they only look at AS, alevel, your PS and now UKcat.

Just to put your mind more at rest i've talked about this to a fair few people in my year, and although some do have a million A*s, there's as many who only have one or two, and in a few cases some people who don't have any!

If you've got any more questions about applying to KCL or anything on the course just PM me!
are you sure? ok heres the thing i spoke to a friend of mine who called the admissions tutors up. I applied to kings last year and so did he both of us didnt get in. The admissionst utor said that because they had so many applicants this year they used a "filter". Anyone who got 6 or more A*'s at gcse was considered everyone who failed to meet that was just thrown in the bin (like myself). This depressed the hell out of me i shouldnt have wasted applying to kings if i knew this. This guy also said that they will be doing it again this year...and i plan to reapply for kings this year :frown:
Reply 4
Well they've told me that as long as you have the passes they state on the web you're ok. At the end of the day if they were going to filter academically they'd filter at alevels which matter more, so their offer wouldnt be AAB, it would be AAA, which it isnt.

The thing with medicine is that no matter how good you are, or your ps is, at the end of the day its luck. Most applicants will meet all requirements and will have brilliant personal statements, but there's no way everyone can be interviewed. Obviously no uni is going to say "you might be fab, but its down to luck really". Have another try as Kings is fantastic as a uni, or at least it is in my opinion and maybe you'll have better luck.
Reply 5
ah that sucks, if only i got one more a* :frown::frown::frown::frown:
i havent got a single A*

you telling me i shouldnt/cant apply to Kings!?
Reply 7
Problem is I suppose because the unis are being swamped with applicants they have to implement strategies to "filter" applicants, eg some girls from my old school (yay) came back from an open day at B'ham and claimed that 1 of the lecturers had stated that they would certainly be increasing the GCSE requirement to 7 A*s for 2007 entry, which our careers teacher doubted, but on checking with B'ham Admissions was told that it was highly likely!

Re Kings I have 8A*s at GCSE, and have a place--my only offer this year, a guy I work with has 1A* at GCSE he also has a place at Kings and had 2 other offers, I am convinced that there are far more factors involved in gaining a place at med-school than just your GCSE scores.:wink:
Reply 8
PS to above I actually have 2 IGCSEs at A which are counted as A* at GCSE?!. So 10 GCSEs at A*---big deal!!!! Also heard about another 2 peeps going to Kings this year 1 with 1A* and 1 with 0 (gapper), so it's do-able.
Reply 9
Connemara
Problem is I suppose because the unis are being swamped with applicants they have to implement strategies to "filter" applicants, eg some girls from my old school (yay) came back from an open day at B'ham and claimed that 1 of the lecturers had stated that they would certainly be increasing the GCSE requirement to 7 A*s for 2007 entry, which our careers teacher doubted, but on checking with B'ham Admissions was told that it was highly likely!

Ah damn :frown: I was prob gonna apply to b'ham and though i'd be OK because i have 6.5 A*s but i can't if they raise it to 7 :frown:
supanogi
Hey, I'm considering applying to KCL next year. However, there's rumour going round that Kings usually interview people with 4/5 A*'s+ (even though they don't specify this in their prospectus). The rumour seems to be true looking at a few of my friends GCSE grades. (8A*'s, 6A*'s, 10*'s, 7A*'s lol)

So, if you got an interview at Kings for Medicine (5 yr), how many A*'s did u get at GCSE level?

6. That's not true, a lot of people who got interviews don't have a lot of A*'s. It's based also on PS and AS-Levels rather than GCSE A*'s.
u mostly need luck and get good gcse results (not neccesarily 6A* plus), a good persnoal statement, and good AS-level results.

AS-level results count the most. but the ukcat may also be used in the screening as well though, who knows.
Cos at the end of the day, there are far too many applicants who want to get into medicine, so they have to creen out ppl somehow.
Reply 12
general-david
u mostly need luck and get good gcse results (not neccesarily 6A* plus), a good persnoal statement, and good AS-level results.

AS-level results count the most. but the ukcat may also be used in the screening as well though, who knows.
Cos at the end of the day, there are far too many applicants who want to get into medicine, so they have to creen out ppl somehow.

I have to say, it seems ot me as though there is a 6A* policy (with some 'lesser' applicants given intw, possibly at random (to throw ppl off the scent!)).

If you say AS's are the most important, i would have got an interview, i got 5As. (a opposed to friends with better GCSEs but not as good As's).

Personal statement -wise, my 3 other uni's thought i was gud enuf to invite to intw (whereas friend with better GCSEs didnt necessarily get ANY other intws).

i got 4A*s and 7As. I asked for feedback (when i got rejected) n they said they couldnt give me any!

I'm not 2 fussed, coz KCL was never my first choice (and i got into my first choice) but just for those who didn't get 6A*s, it's a gamble! (altho its a gamble anyway so....i dont even know why i posted! lol)

Latest

Trending

Trending