The Student Room Group

What you wish you'd known when starting year 13

Title says it all really. I'm starting year 13 and would love some tips, so:

What do you wish you'd known when you started year 13?

Scroll to see replies

That this is the year that will basically decide your life, so please please DO NOT waste it on your friends girlfriends games etc.

As soon as you get back to school make sure all your UCAS stuff is sorted, don't delay the process because dragging it on only means your being lazy.

And don't overwork yourself at the beginning.just keep up with work from the beginning and about 2 months before the exams switch to intense study.

Use all past papers!

If you'd like specific tips on bio or chem just ask. I got A in both of them, I narrowly missed an A*

If youd like help on what to resit send me your grades and I can help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That most of the teachers will be useless and 99% of lesson time is usually "private study".

And also - alcohol will not get you through an upcoming test.

Edit: Also peaches and cream, I studied Biology and Chemistry (both AQA) and achieved A*s in both. So if you need any help and advice, please ask. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by apple_byte
That this is the year that will basically decide your life, so please please DO NOT waste it on your friends girlfriends games etc.

As soon as you get back to school make sure all your UCAS stuff is sorted, don't delay the process because dragging it on only means your being lazy.

And don't overwork yourself at the beginning.just keep up with work from the beginning and about 2 months before the exams switch to intense study.

Use all past papers!

If you'd like specific tips on bio or chem just ask. I got A in both of them, I narrowly missed an A*

If youd like help on what to resit send me your grades and I can help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really helpful, thank you! What are you going on to study at uni?

I'm aiming for an A in biology and chemistry so tips would be much appreciated. I got A's in both at AS level (biology - 266 UMS and chemistry - 260 UMS) so won't be resitting any papers.
Reply 4
Invest in Apple and Google
Short Sell Rim and RBS

Bet tons of money on Germany winning the world cup.
How many hours a week of work should I do without overworking myself and burning out?
Should my work throughout the year consist of making/learning notes and practice questions/past papers, or should I leave the latter to do closer to exam times?

Are 10 exams (AS and A2) too much?

When should I start revision?
How many hours should I do a day?

If anyone is willing to answer my questions I'll be most grateful :smile: :tongue:
Put a lot of effort into the UCAS application and choose options wisely, not just applying to places you like but may not have a chance to get in.
I'm going into year 13 myself but here are some of my answers below!

Original post by daisychain_

Should my work throughout the year consist of making/learning notes and practice questions/past papers, or should I leave the latter to do closer to exam time?

Definitely take notes throughout the year, what I did last year was I typed up my notes at the end of the day/week/topic which created little revision guides which I went back to and revised. Work hard for your mocks, it will make it so much easier when you come to revising again for the real thing! Do most of the past papers near the end of the year, otherwise you run out, but make sure you always go back and check where you made mistakes. Once you have run out do them all again - you should have improved!

Are 10 exams (AS and A2) too much?

I hope not because I'm doing 10 next year! I'm doing further maths AS spread across both years, so there's 9 modules in total. I did 5 last year and the other 4 I'm doing this year. I also have 2 each for bio, chem and econ so a total of 10. I think it should be manageable!

When should I start revision?

I think you should start doing proper intense revision at the beginning of the Easter holidays. Spend a few weeks learning the content really well and then just move onto past papers and do them. If you get stuck on a question go back to that part in your notes and re learn it.

If anyone is willing to answer my questions I'll be most grateful :smile: :tongue:

H​ope that helped!
Reply 8
Personally I believe A levels are a conspiracy created by lizards to stop young people thinking outside the prism of numbers on exams which test ability to take exam and not intelligence or knowledge

if I was in year 13 I would leave school and open a 3D printer shop
basically there was this Arab girl that liked me, and i was too f***ing thick to see it at the time.

she was fit aswell

:frown:
Original post by Peaches and Cream

I'm aiming for an A in biology and chemistry so tips would be much appreciated. I got A's in both at AS level (biology - 266 UMS and chemistry - 260 UMS) so won't be resitting any papers.

I'll be studying computer science at Kings College.
Will you need any help on chemistry or biology (I'll be getting my biology paper remarked as I missed an A* by 3 ums!! unlucky :frown:
Original post by Peaches and Cream

Btw what's your method of learning.
I didn't make any notes throughout the year.
I didn't think it was necessary.
The only notes i made was making tables of the colours that you need to remember in chemistry.
Stop spending every last waking hour rote learning like you did in year 12, and start writing answers to practice questions under timed conditions. Give yourself a day off every weekend so that you don't burn out. I did these things and ended up doing a lot better than I did in my first year at college.
Reply 13
Is it worth starting revision for my A2 biology, chemistry and maths exams (all AQA) now? I got BBC in them at AS (very disappointing, I know) and really want to get AAA at A2. I want to appear knowledgable when we start A2 so my teachers can predict me higher:wink:- unlike how clueless and careless I was during my AS classes (honestly I laughed more than worked in lessons). I feel like Y13 is going to be very serious and all the jokes gone:frown: And what revison techniques shall I use?
I'll be studying computer science at Kings College.
Will you need any help on chemistry or biology (I'll be getting my biology paper remarked as I missed an A* by 3 ums!! unlucky :frown:

Btw what's your method of learning.
I didn't make any notes throughout the year.
I didn't think it was necessary.
The only notes i made was making tables of the colours that you need to remember in chemistry.

Wow that's brilliant, congratulations! Do you already live in London or are you moving here? :h: And I guess I should've been able to tell from 'byte' :') though I do prefer a humble nibble myself. 4 bits is always better than 8 in my opinion.

...wow I really should not try and make computer science jokes with someone who's starting undergrad in it at UCL and all I've done is GCSE ICT... and now I'm rambling I'm so sorry!

I typed up brief notes in Easter, then attacked every past paper I could get hold of. once I'd done and marked the paper I wrote out model answers to each question based on the markscheme so I could really cement the corrections to my mistakes.

Thank you so much for offering to help me, it's much appreciated and very kind:h: you seem lovely!
Original post by James222
Personally I believe A levels are a conspiracy created by lizards to stop young people thinking outside the prism of numbers on exams which test ability to take exam and not intelligence or knowledge

if I was in year 13 I would leave school and open a 3D printer shop

Indubitably. Though it isn't exactly that ("A levels are a conspiracy created by lizards to stop young people thinking outside the prism of numbers on exams which test ability to take exam and not intelligence or knowledge"), one could argue that the real purpose is to be cash cows to the society, to be ordinary and to learn to repeat ideas already created. Most people don't even consider this - truly sad.
Original post by PhilosophicalHat
Indubitably. Though it isn't exactly that ("A levels are a conspiracy created by lizards to stop young people thinking outside the prism of numbers on exams which test ability to take exam and not intelligence or knowledge"), one could argue that the real purpose is to be cash cows to the society, to be ordinary and to learn to repeat ideas already created. Most people don't even consider this - truly sad.

True, Lizards are a methaphor for the elite closely realeteated psuedo species and out of touch with fellow humanity like Lizards. A Level students are taught to tick boxes and confirmity.

Exam Boards have secret deals with publishers where they endorse books or have private gathering with teachers from the best schools to discuss the new sylabbus its all a joke. Ofcourse ability plays a important role but exam technique is the most important thing you learn from school
Original post by James222
True, Lizards are a methaphor for the elite closely realeteated psuedo species and out of touch with fellow humanity like Lizards. A Level students are taught to tick boxes and confirmity.

Exam Boards have secret deals with publishers where they endorse books or have private gathering with teachers from the best schools to discuss the new sylabbus its all a joke. Ofcourse ability plays a important role but exam technique is the most important thing you learn from school

I agree indefinitely. Haha to add to that, lets say you wanted to do somethin' else and you weren't super rich or super talented. How do you go about doin' that? It's nearly impossible. You're forced to go through this outdated and beguiling process.

It's like Corrupt minds at the top, good people in the middle clueless as hell, thus we're reassured that it's all good. Fc this world is messed up to the point that you can't even see through anythin'.
Reply 18
The earlier you start revising, the easier it'll be. You will not do work at your computer, go to a library and use books. Other people don't matter, don't worry about other people; focus on your own life and education. Neutral Milk Hotel will play in the UK, you will see them twice, stop worrying about it.

Some of that might be more for me, but there's some advice nuggets in there.
Reply 19
The name 'free period' is totally misleading. They are not 'free' - you should use them wisely, and if you do work, you will reap the benefits. :tongue:

Print specifications at the start of the year, and start ticking stuff off.

Basically, if you're aiming for A/A* grades, there is no way that just doing classwork and homework is enough. You need to be doing whatever you can outside of class to stay on top of the game. No need to learn everything, but you need to make sure you're topping up your learning.

Read examiner reports!!! I can't emphasise this enough. 1. They're written by examiners i.e. the people who mark your papers, therefore they are the Year 13 Students' Bible 2. they will give you an idea of what other people are writing. I read an English lit one and an examiner comment said 'nearly all candidates mentioned [blah blah blah] which was pleasing' - we had never encountered this in class, so I got off my ass and made sure I knew it.

Obviously don't go crazy and burn out. I got so stressed this year that I ended up with shingles (0/10 would not recommend), so keep things in check. Don't despair if your mocks don't come out with all A*, you need to time yourself so you hit your stride in the real thing.

There's probably more, but I don't want to scare you! Honestly, year 13 can be a really awesome year in terms of exciting things happening, teachers treating you as a real human rather than a bratty 13 year old and feeling like finally, you are studying for something that will make a difference to your life. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest