The Student Room Group

My maintenance loan doesn't cover my rent waaah

I changed universities last minute and only just got accommodation. Rent is £6800 a year and my maintenance loan is only £5090. My parents can't afford to pay me any money as they're paying for my brothers university fees. I have a job but I get paid min wage and it still won't be enough. I phoned up student finance and they said there's not much they can do. Any advice? :frown:
See if your university can offer you any help. If not, I would recommend not taking the offer of university owned accommodation, and just find fellow students who have a spare room in their student house.
I just phoned the uni and they said they couldn't offer any help and I already made the mistake of accepting the accommodation :frown:(
Reply 3
£6800 a year for rent is ridiculous! For that I imagine you're in London, in which case on your student finance form have you stated where it is you're staying? If you are in London you'll get more. Have you looked at grants too? If your parents get less than £25000 you can get a full grant and a loan on top, if it's between that and I think 40000 you can still get a partial grant and if they earn more than that, I don't know what the problem would be. Or have a talk with your parents. Tell them it's not fair they pay for one and not the other, maybe ask them to halve what they give him and he can get a grant or loan too. Or as someone else said look for people with a spare room? But £6800 is stupid. You could also just get yourself a regular proper bank loan.
Thanks for the replies! My university is in Cambridge unfortunately, not London. But I'll look into some of the things you've suggested. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending