The Student Room Group

Are these realistic targets?

I've just finished my AS year with ABCC. The A was in Economics. The B was in Accounts, 1 UMS from an A, however is quite an objective subject so i'm not sure if a remark would benefit me. One C was in History, 2 UMS from a B, which I may consider getting remarked. and the other C was Business Studies (3 UMS from a B) which I would like to drop (i didn't enjoy, didn't turn up to lectures and did no revision).

I am aiming to keep Economics at an A (or push to an A*), Pull Accounts up to an A and pull History up to a B. This would then enable me to apply to do an Economics course at places like Cardiff, Loughborough and Lancaster (I understand that I should have done Maths, but I didn't realise I would enjoy economics quite so much!). I think there was room for me to increase my workload last year so I am hoping that i can do it!

My question are: How realistic are my targets? Do you think i would be able to get my lecturers to set my predicted grades as AAB? Would you recommend me to take re-sits? Is anyone else in a similar boat as me?
Reply 1
They seem pretty realistic to me, you're in a similar (actually better) situation to what I was in last year. In my AS year I achieved BBBE, with my B in English being 1 mark from an A, and the other two B's were just solid B's, and then I dropped Maths (E) because I hated the subject with a passion. As for your predictions I think you should be fine really, from my grades my school predicted me ABB but after speaking to my teachers I managed to get it raised to AAB and got offers from everywhere I applied (Nottingham, Leicester, Loughborough, Keele, Uni of Birmingham). By the sounds of it you're applying to similarly ranked universities as I did and since you did better than me I see no real reason why you shouldn't be able to get into them!

As for resits and remarks it's really up to you. Personally I didn't bother with the remark for my English because it's all about the examiner's interpretation of what you wrote really and I didn't really wanna risk lowering my grade, I just looked at it more as 'Okay, I need to get 1 mark into an A next year to get an A overall'. In the end I resat one of the English exam's I got a B on but when it came to the exam period I was that busy with other exams I didn't really have time to revise for it and I ended up with a B again, but I got the extra mark this time! I also resat a Biology and a Film module as I figured it was worth a shot to improve my grades and take the load of my A2 results a bit. My Biology didn't improve (again I didn't really have time to revise) but my Film exam went from a medium B to a high A, but honestly that was because I put a lot of effort in and essentially retaught myself the whole year with new films and no help from my teacher to push my grade up to the A I needed for A2. So resits are definitely worth it and can be really helpful to scrape your grades up those extra few marks that really matter, but you need to consider how many exams you are going to have already and think will you really be that interested in revising for an exam you already have a solid grade in when you could be revising for exams you are yet to be graded in. Honestly, by the sounds of it I think you'll be fine so congrats on your results and good luck next year!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Only being a mark off means they shouldn't take too much talking round to predicting that B to an A. Universities don't see how close you are, but in the end at AS, it's the UMS that counts more. I got BBBC at AS, and ended up with AAA predictions because two of those B grades were 2 & 3 UMS from an A.

I don't think the remark will help that much in Accounts, because really, you need to get an A next year regardless. It's so unlikely it will go up by much, and could always go down, so you may as well take it as it is. It's one mark to make back, so you can do it.

History, could be worth it. Things can probably change more in that. Request your paper back anyway, because you may feel like resitting it later. It's also a question of how easy is it to make a difference. If you've got a few modules that are all around a B/C region then it's quite difficult to make a decision. If you have an A and a C then clearly resitting the C has plenty of room for improvement, even if it's just up to a B.

The predictions are alright though, I think you'll be fine. It's really not uncommon for people to go up a grade in some cases.
Reply 3
Thank you very much! you have filled me with confidence now :smile: I could maybe afford 1 retake, because History has a coursework module in A2 which means i will only do 5 exams rather than (the average of) 6 (2 for each subject).

How did you do in your A2 year? Did you get to the Uni you wanted?
Original post by UkeHarvey
I've just finished my AS year with ABCC. The A was in Economics. The B was in Accounts, 1 UMS from an A, however is quite an objective subject so i'm not sure if a remark would benefit me. One C was in History, 2 UMS from a B, which I may consider getting remarked. and the other C was Business Studies (3 UMS from a B) which I would like to drop (i didn't enjoy, didn't turn up to lectures and did no revision).

I am aiming to keep Economics at an A (or push to an A*), Pull Accounts up to an A and pull History up to a B. This would then enable me to apply to do an Economics course at places like Cardiff, Loughborough and Lancaster (I understand that I should have done Maths, but I didn't realise I would enjoy economics quite so much!). I think there was room for me to increase my workload last year so I am hoping that i can do it!

My question are: How realistic are my targets? Do you think i would be able to get my lecturers to set my predicted grades as AAB? Would you recommend me to take re-sits? Is anyone else in a similar boat as me?

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Reply 5
I did better than I expected after my exam period, I was expecting to get AAC due to one horrible Biology paper. Luckily I did really well on my other Biology paper and it gave me a B overall so I got AAB and got into Loughborough which was my firm choice so I was really happy!
Reply 6
I really like Loughborough! I have been there once when I was younger for a Pole Vault course. I want good sports facilities, so I think it's perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Congratulations too! I wish I was going this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most important advice I can give you:

The biggest downfall people run into today isn't aiming high and missing, it's aiming low and hitting.

Quick Reply

Latest