The Student Room Group

Maintenance Grants and Loans

Hey, I was just wondering, as I am eligible for the maximum maintenance grant, of about £3,300 but the halls I'm hoping to stay in will only cost £2664 for the year, should I apply for exactly this amount? Or should I apply for the maximum grant amount and use the rest for food and travel? I don't know how expensive university will be, so would I need to get a loan on top of that? Sorry, I just don't know. If I couldn't stay on the £2664 halls, the next cheapest is £2923 which would still leave me some for food and travel, but less. I don't know if I should get the exact maintenance grant, or the full grant and a little from the loan?

Thanks
get your grant and loan, even £50 a week (which isn't that much at all as an average - it will include all one off costs e.g. freshers, clothes, medication, presents, travel home etc) is £2500 for 12 months

you should also be entitled to a bursary which you will not have to pay back
If you're eligible for the maximum amount, take the maximum amount. Otherwise you would definitely struggle financially.
Hey guys,

just wondering do they give a maintenance grant only once during your time at University or every time you apply for a student finance loan?
Original post by ManWithTwoHorns
Hey guys,

just wondering do they give a maintenance grant only once during your time at University or every time you apply for a student finance loan?

You can get it every time you apply for a student finance loan :smile:
Thanks you that's fantastic news to hear!

But you are absolutely sure about the fact that they do actually give maintenance grants every year when I do apply for a student loan?
Definitely, if you qualify for it via the means test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending