The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosetheturtle
didn't feel like that much work when i was actually doing it tho :') i did gcse science in year 10 so i guess in year 11 i just thought 'eh might as well learn ahead instead of doing nothing' and then it lead to 'eh might as well do the exam' AHHAHAH oooh what was your EPQ on?

My epq was totally unrelated to chemical engineerinv which is the sad thing but I found my topic really interesting and managed to do really well. It was on whether it's possible to train your non-dominant hand to become equal or superior to the dominant and the effects of this on the human brain :P
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by SelinaUchiha
My epq was totally unrelated to chemical engineerinv which is the sad thing but I found my topic really interesting and managed to do really well. It was on whether it's possible to train your non-dominant hand to become equal or superior to the dominant and the effects of this on the human brain :P

Ooh what did you find?? I've been writing with my non dominant hand in physics class to keep myself entertained :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SelinaUchiha

It's definitely possible. Rafael Nadal is right-handed but he has been trained to play tennis left-handed since a young age, and, well, we all know how successful he is. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I emailed them and this is what they said:
Being invited for an interview is no indication in itself on likelihood to receive an offer. All outcomes on undergraduate applications will be processed by the end of March 2015 at the latest.
Civil engineering offer, must admit rather unexpected
Original post by civeng1597
Civil engineering offer, must admit rather unexpected

Congrats! How did you find the applicant day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobertCalifornia

Posted from TSR Mobile

The group discussion was terrible, I barely got a word in. But I felt the written test went well and the smaller interview was much more comfortable.
The group discussion was terrible, I barely got a word in. But I felt the written test went well and the smaller interview was much more comfortable.

Congrats!

I think I went to the same recruitment day as you did. I haven't seen anyone who is rejected yet, so I'm guessing we all did really well lol!
Original post by RobertCalifornia

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it makes you feel any better, I got an offer last weekend and was "completely certain" on less than half of the questions on the written test! I know I completely missed two, and the rest were all "educated guesses".

I'm not quite sure how important the small group tour interview thing in the end is. A friend of mine said that she didn't say a single word during that (nor the big group one) but she got an offer anyway?! I don't really get why, maybe it's something to do with the fact that ~50% of applicants get offers anyway...
Original post by Cake44
If it makes you feel any better, I got an offer last weekend and was "completely certain" on less than half of the questions on the written test! I know I completely missed two, and the rest were all "educated guesses".

I'm not quite sure how important the small group tour interview thing in the end is. A friend of mine said that she didn't say a single word during that (nor the big group one) but she got an offer anyway?! I don't really get why, maybe it's something to do with the fact that ~50% of applicants get offers anyway...

What do you mean about 50% of interviewers get a offer?
Original post by Cake44
Congrats!

I think I went to the same recruitment day as you did. I haven't seen anyone who is rejected yet, so I'm guessing we all did really well lol!

What sort of questions came up in the written test ?
Original post by EPR Paradox
What do you mean about 50% of interviewers get a offer?

They mean 50% of those who apply to the course receive an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EPR Paradox
What sort of questions came up in the written test ?

Nothing you can revise for, so just don't worry about it. Bring your calculator though, you're allowed to use one.
Original post by Reacher65
They mean 50% of those who apply to the course receive an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and that figure is a little bit higher for local applicants AFAIK.

50% of all applicants is actually quite 'hard' lol (relatively speaking)! I think Warwick has like 90%+ (the engineering course was allegedly in UCAS clearing) and the only engineering course which has a lower offers/applicants percentage is Cambridge (~17%)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aersh8
Ooh what did you find?? I've been writing with my non dominant hand in physics class to keep myself entertained :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice to see you're interested!
Well I found yes it's possible, easier for left handed people to train their right hand rather than the other way due to how their brains are wired slightly differently to right handed people. Found that it's not good to try and switch your dominant hand, messes with your brain & it's been done to people who were left handed and seen as to be associated with the devil. They were forced to use their right hand as their dominant and results weren't great! Also found that if you don't even have a non-dominant hand to retrain you can rely on science to design a robotic one that is controlled by your mind! :O Put an interesting spin on it. :biggrin:

It's good to use your non-dominant hand to complement the dominant not over take it. If you do that, it's all good :P
Original post by jonathanyyt
It's definitely possible. Rafael Nadal is right-handed but he has been trained to play tennis left-handed since a young age, and, well, we all know how successful he is. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i haven't a clue on tennis but yes you're right
What type of questions you're expected to ask during the group interview ? It's only a tour of the campus no ? so they don't test you on this !
Anyone who had recruitment day on the 3rd December heard anything yet?
Also, I'm right in assuming I wouldn't hear anything before the 5th Jan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any Computing or JMC applicants not heard anything yet?

What kind of things did you discuss? Oh and you have an individual interview as well as the group one? :redface: I have an applicant day in February and I'm really nervous about it :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending