The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyaanL97
could anyone suggest any books to read about civil engineering ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, You should check out cambridge's engineering reading list:
http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/information/reading.html
For civil engineering you should take a look at "structures or why things dont fall".
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by elias_123
Thanks for the advice friend, means alot, do you reckon I have a chance of getting an offer from Imperial college for mechanical engineering? (PS: I'm dropping econ)

If your GCSEs are good then hmm I think why not you have 5 choices in UCAS and if it is mechanical engineering you want then pick imperial and then maybe bath (they are good with mechanical engineering) and even if they don't give you then your other choices will for sure do. Make sure you state your Further maths on your personal statement.

Also are you sure that mechanical engineering is what you want I mean the engineering sectors are quite similar at the start they only diverge at second year. But honestly you don't have chemistry and so you cant take chemical engineering. For me Chemical number one then mechanical. Even though mechanical engineering is the widest out of all them and there are many job sectors you can get in with that.

Look my friend you do your best this year and next year and only study what you find is fun. Don't study because you have to, study because this is your pleasure. I found this out too late unfortunately and feel so bad and depressed with my self. I have wasted very very precious time of my life and honestly I haven't just wasted I used it to destroy my self as well. I was always expected to score the Highest grades and always did but when GCSEs and A-level came and with my parents being super busy I couldn't do it my self. I got A*AAAC in GCSEs and AABC in AS-level. and two months before my A2 exams I realised how much of an idiot I became and in those 2 months I have changed my life and got A*A*AB. I am still not happy I really wanted A*A*A*B (I am not naturally good at biology).

It is all about how early you mature and realise that there is a purpose of this whole life. And even if they don't accept you due to your AS grades then take a gap year and apply maybe to Oxbridge as well if your grades are above A*A*A. Sorry for this long post but honestly I hate my self so much for what I did I don't want to see anyone do my mistake. From what I can see is you have a lot of talent for maths but probably you are like me when you get to the exams you start doing stupid mistakes which you wouldn't do any day no matter what. I hope this helps and good luck my friend.
Reply 22
Looking to do Biology at imperial.
Requirements: AAA
AS Grades: ABBC
Predicted: A*AA
GCSE's: 6A'S 4B'S 1C

what do you think?
Original post by hajs

what do you think?

Good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Want to apply aeronautical engineering

Physics:A(252/300)
maths :A (290/300)
geo:B(156/200)

i will study whole further maths for A2 next year
i will try to get my predict grade of physics as high as possible , should I still give it a go?
Biomedical Engineering

IGCSE:
A*A*A*AA B(English Language) C(English Literature)
AS Grades: AAAA E(English Literature :frown: )
A2 Grades: A* Mathematics
Predicted: A* Physics A* Chemistry A Further Mathematics
IELTS: 7.5 overall

What will Imperial think of an E grade in AS English Literature? Since I already received an A* in Mathematics, what kind of offer will they give me?
By the way I do all CIE with 90 in Chemistry and Physics and I'm doing A- level Further Mathematics in one year.
Original post by faisalalz
If your GCSEs are good then hmm I think why not you have 5 choices in UCAS and if it is mechanical engineering you want then pick imperial and then maybe bath (they are good with mechanical engineering) and even if they don't give you then your other choices will for sure do. Make sure you state your Further maths on your personal statement.

Also are you sure that mechanical engineering is what you want I mean the engineering sectors are quite similar at the start they only diverge at second year. But honestly you don't have chemistry and so you cant take chemical engineering. For me Chemical number one then mechanical. Even though mechanical engineering is the widest out of all them and there are many job sectors you can get in with that.

Look my friend you do your best this year and next year and only study what you find is fun. Don't study because you have to, study because this is your pleasure. I found this out too late unfortunately and feel so bad and depressed with my self. I have wasted very very precious time of my life and honestly I haven't just wasted I used it to destroy my self as well. I was always expected to score the Highest grades and always did but when GCSEs and A-level came and with my parents being super busy I couldn't do it my self. I got A*AAAC in GCSEs and AABC in AS-level. and two months before my A2 exams I realised how much of an idiot I became and in those 2 months I have changed my life and got A*A*AB. I am still not happy I really wanted A*A*A*B (I am not naturally good at biology).

It is all about how early you mature and realise that there is a purpose of this whole life. And even if they don't accept you due to your AS grades then take a gap year and apply maybe to Oxbridge as well if your grades are above A*A*A. Sorry for this long post but honestly I hate my self so much for what I did I don't want to see anyone do my mistake. From what I can see is you have a lot of talent for maths but probably you are like me when you get to the exams you start doing stupid mistakes which you wouldn't do any day no matter what. I hope this helps and good luck my friend.

Hey, thanks for the reply, yeah I'm sure mechanical engineering is what I want to do and I also enjoy my subjects, yeah I panicked a bit in the exams and did stupid mistakes, I'm going to study a lot next year and hopefully get my A*A*A, I'm just a bit worried about not getting an offer, Thanks for the message.
Original post by peterith
Biomedical Engineering

IGCSE:
A*A*A*AA B(English Language) C(English Literature)
AS Grades: AAAA E(English Literature :frown: )
A2 Grades: A* Mathematics
Predicted: A* Physics A* Chemistry A Further Mathematics
IELTS: 7.5 overall

What will Imperial think of an E grade in AS English Literature? Since I already received an A* in Mathematics, what kind of offer will they give me?
By the way I do all CIE with 90 in Chemistry and Physics and I'm doing A- level Further Mathematics in one year.
Your results seem very good and I don't think the E will be that bad, also, you already got an A*, and for biomedical the requirements are A*AA, and you have predicted A*A*A*A! So you are well above their requirements, they will give you an offer of A*AA and you already achieved one A*, so you will just need an A in chemistry and an A in Physics.
Original post by chermaine123
Want to apply aeronautical engineering

Physics:A(252/300)
maths :A (290/300)
geo:B(156/200)

i will study whole further maths for A2 next year
i will try to get my predict grade of physics as high as possible , should I still give it a go?

Hmm, you would need predicted an A*A*A to stand a chance of getting an offer, also, did you get an A* in maths? If not you should retake one of the modules (C3 or C4 ) and convince your teacher you will get it. Also, you should convince your physics teacher to predict you an A*(Depends whether he likes you and sees that you study hard in class and are motivated). If you get predicted A*A*A then its definitely worth a shot, if not, then I don't think so.
Hmm, you would need predicted an A*A*A to stand a chance of getting an offer, also, did you get an A* in maths? If not you should retake one of the modules (C3 or C4 ) and convince your teacher you will get it. Also, you should convince your physics teacher to predict you an A*(Depends whether he likes you and sees that you study hard in class and are motivated). If you get predicted A*A*A then its definitely worth a shot, if not, then I don't think so.

yeap I will definitely try to convince my Physics teacher to predict me an A*
and for Maths I got 94 for C3 , I will take C4 in the coming year.
Thanks for your help though :biggrin:
yeap I will definitely try to convince my Physics teacher to predict me an A*
and for Maths I got 94 for C3 , I will take C4 in the coming year.
Thanks for your help though :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin:, what do you think about my odds? ( check first page)
I was thinking of applying for Theoretical Physics at Imperial, but it would mean retaking C3 and C4. My UMS marks are as follows:

Maths - 525/600 (A)
Physics - 254/300 (A)
Computing - 162/200 (A)
I'm going to do FM next year.

Is this too **** to even consider applying?
No problem :biggrin:, what do you think about my odds? ( check first page)

I think you have everything ready , which is great :smile: especially you did A2 maths this year !
Good luck for retaking C3 and I hope I will be ok for C4 next year ><
I think you have everything ready , which is great :smile: especially you did A2 maths this year !
Good luck for retaking C3 and I hope I will be ok for C4 next year ><

Thanks:smile:, C4 is just C3 with integration and vectors, the integration isn't that hard, you just have to learn the different methods like you did in c3 for differentiation but the vectors I found it to be hard to get my head around it at first.
Original post by hajs

what do you think?

Nope, low chance. Your grades are lower than the requirement and your GCSEs are below average...
Original post by StarvingAutist
I was thinking of applying for Theoretical Physics at Imperial, but it would mean retaking C3 and C4. My UMS marks are as follows:

Maths - 525/600 (A)
Physics - 254/300 (A)
Computing - 162/200 (A)
I'm going to do FM next year.

Is this too **** to even consider applying?

Hmm, Depends on your predictions, If you get predicted A*A*A, a good personal statement then you have a good shot at an offer.
Original post by yl95
Nope, low chance. Your grades are lower than the requirement and your GCSEs are below average...

Depends if your referee has a good reason as to why you got a B instead of an A and you have a strong personal statement, then.. I dont know, still give it a go you never know
Hmm, Depends on your predictions, If you get predicted A*A*A, a good personal statement then you have a good shot at an offer.

Thanks, I suppose I'll have to wait until I'm told my predictions then. It's so nerve-racking!

Repeat some of your A2 maths modules which should then become an A* and make sure you try hard to get another A* in Further maths or Physics as will or both hopefully. Most important is your prediction grades. I dont think imperial looks at UMS.
Depends if your referee has a good reason as to why you got a B instead of an A and you have a strong personal statement, then.. I dont know, still give it a go you never know

I already went through the process for Imperial; I'll be going there in October. There aren't many reasons as to why you should get a B. Also, predictions should be reasonable...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending