The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bella Bai
OMG! I finally find someone who have the same question as me. And I am not the only one who is asked to take STEP. I have a Maths offer as well. They offer me A*A*A+2 in STEP. Even though I have already got my A-level grade from last year, I really don't think I can get grade 2 in STEP.

2 in which STEP? Getting a 2 isn't that bad. I have to get a 1 in STEP II for straight computing lol.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hi, I have an offer for A*A*AA to study Biomedical Engineering at Imperial, with specified A* maths. What is the chance that they'll still let me in if I get A*A*AB say !!!!!!!!
Original post by natsciballer
Hi, I have an offer for A*A*AA to study Biomedical Engineering at Imperial, with specified A* maths. What is the chance that they'll still let me in if I get A*A*AB say !!!!!!!!

Pretty much 0% from what I've heard.
**** me, but I though because they give such high offers they are sometimes lenient. Thanks for the reply anyway.
Original post by Brubeckian
Pretty much 0% from what I've heard.
Original post by natsciballer
**** me, but I though because they give such high offers they are sometimes lenient. Thanks for the reply anyway.

This is just from what they told us on interview day lol (computing), it might be different for your department, all the best!
2 in which STEP? Getting a 2 isn't that bad. I have to get a 1 in STEP II for straight computing lol.

true but you're on a gap year. Doing 4 A2s are a lot of work on my part, if I had so much time I don't think I would be complaining about STEP. I have done a STEP 2 paper and got a grade 1 in it (timed), but after leaving it for so much time and drowning in A2 chemistry etc, it can be a hindrance.

And getting an A* in further maths is more irritating and difficult than ever, because with S3, one slip of a decimal place during a hypothesis test and that can cost you a grade. It doesn't test my maths but all I can do is keep practicing.
(edited 8 years ago)

Grade 2 in STEP paper 2. :colonhash: I can't imagine they ask me to get grade 1.

We should just transfer to maths or JMC lol
Anyone else feel like the computer science department have way underestimated the difficulty of STEP Exams.

They've given out so many STEP offers this year and a lot of them are even more demanding than some of the STEP offers given for the straight maths applicants.
Original post by lllllllllll
Anyone else feel like the computer science department have way underestimated the difficulty of STEP Exams.

They've given out so many STEP offers this year and a lot of them are even more demanding than some of the STEP offers given for the straight maths applicants.

I'm pretty sure they're doing some weird experiment, did you mention at any point during the interview that you were interested in doing JMC? I did, that's why I think they gave me this offer.
I'm pretty sure they're doing some weird experiment, did you mention at any point during the interview that you were interested in doing JMC? I did, that's why I think they gave me this offer.

Doubt that's the case, after applying for JMC initially and being transferred to computing, my offer made no mention of Step.
According to them they give harder offers (Step) to students who they believe have the potential to reach the offer.
(Don't ask me about the logic behind it).
Original post by Icicle Man
Doubt that's the case, after applying for JMC initially and being transferred to computing, my offer made no mention of Step.
According to them they give harder offers (Step) to students who they believe have the potential to reach the offer.

Hopefully if I meet the offer I'll have a chat with the admissions tutor about it :P Because I'm really baffled at why I would even need to sit it in the first place.

Tbh I don't even mind any more, starting to enjoy doing STEP lol.
I'm thinking of doing the STEP assessments but my college does not teach it, does anybody know any good websites/books for self teaching it? Cheers
Original post by grimshawsalex
I'm thinking of doing the STEP assessments but my college does not teach it, does anybody know any good websites/books for self teaching it? Cheers

I don't think anywhere 'teaches' STEP, you have to do it in your own time. It has the same content as A-levels, best way to 'learn' it is to actually do the questions.

No way am I doing JMC lol. I did AEA last year and got a merit. Maybe that's why they wanted a STEP from me? However I never expected II grade 1. Well at least I don't need to do STEP III :tongue: Good luck with III btw.
No way am I doing JMC lol. I did AEA last year and got a merit. Maybe that's why they wanted a STEP from me? However I never expected II grade 1. Well at least I don't need to do STEP III :tongue: Good luck with III btw.

Thanks (I'll need it), you too :P

Same :tongue:
How many people applied for JMC then? Seems like there is a ton of us on TSR but so few people compared to the rest of the applicants.

Am I right in thinking that JMC would be much more intense than doing STEP? Not that that's a bad thing :biggrin:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Their offers just seem so all over the place. Maybe they just want to get us used to the stress? Or used to the fact that we would be treated very unfairly at Imperial too :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Karoel
How many people applied for JMC then? Seems like there is a ton of us on TSR but so few people compared to the rest of the applicants.

Am I right in thinking that JMC would be much more intense than doing STEP? Not that that's a bad thing :biggrin:

Don't think you'd be wrong to say that.
I think it's regarded as the hardest degree at Imperial.
Don't think you'd be wrong to say that.
I think it's regarded as the hardest degree at Imperial.

Which gives me a very good reason to move my ass and do some STEP xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending