The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2015

This thread is for people who are applying to (or considering applying to) Imperial College in the 2014/2015 cycle for 2015 entry.

Discuss your application here and find other people applying for the same thing.

Also check out TSR's new stalking pages: University Connect.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yo, I'm considering applying to Imperial for physics this cycle, my A(2)-level results are as follows: A* in physics, As in chemistry, maths and further maths. I was pretty close to an A* in maths, and I'm thinking about re-sitting a few exams this year to try and get that A*. I know minimum required on the Imp. website says it wants A*s in physics and maths, and I'm guessing the course is pretty competitive. I just want to know whether they might give me an interview with my current grades if I say I'm re-sitting maths to get an A*. Cheers.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Greetings from Finland!

I would really like to study in the UK as the level of education and research is unparalleled to anything in Europe, especially in Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL. I'm also intrigued by London.

I am looking at applying for aeronautical engineering but also keeping tabs on petroleum geoscience. I achieved 43 IB points with 777 at HL (Maths, Phys and Chem), which should be more than adequate grade-wise. The most significant problem with my application, I feel, is my lack of participation in activities such as science/engineering/debating societies. Granted, I have engaged in organising science workshops for primary school pupils and also taken part in a brief (university level) course on design engineering softwares.

I am currently fulfilling my compulsory military service where I hope to become a tank driver (:rolleyes:). Is it possible that I could use this as "work experience". However, I'm scared I'll be unable to attend the potential interview as it is really difficult to get off-days during duty. Is it hence possible to attend a telephone interview

Do you guys think I stand a realistic chance to get an unconditional offer for Imperial? Also, any experiences from earlier EU applicants are welcome!

All responses are greatly appreciated!
Original post by valaistunut
Greetings from Finland!

I would really like to study in the UK as the level of education and research is unparalleled to anything in Europe, especially in Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL. I'm also intrigued by London.

I am looking at applying for aeronautical engineering but also keeping tabs on petroleum geoscience. I achieved 43 IB points with 777 at HL (Maths, Phys and Chem), which should be more than adequate grade-wise. The most significant problem with my application, I feel, is my lack of participation in activities such as science/engineering/debating societies. Granted, I have engaged in organising science workshops for primary school pupils and also taken part in a brief (university level) course on design engineering softwares.

I am currently fulfilling my compulsory military service where I hope to become a tank driver (:rolleyes:). Is it possible that I could use this as "work experience". However, I'm scared I'll be unable to attend the potential interview as it is really difficult to get off-days during duty. Is it hence possible to attend a telephone interview

Do you guys think I stand a realistic chance to get an unconditional offer for Imperial? Also, any experiences from earlier EU applicants are welcome!

All responses are greatly appreciated!

Hi!
I was an EU applicant for Civil Engineering, and I'll be starting at Imperial in October. Like you I already had my grades (didn't do the IB but the French bac) so if you exceed the minimum requirements by far that's already a good start :smile:
I didn't have any experience in science/debating societies whatsoever either, but I did do two years of math/physics/chemistry at university level, as well as a small research project (which I ended up not finishing but I didn't know that at the time I applied). I also mentioned managing a small website as experience in my PS, as well as two sports at competition level.

I really think you should be fine if you mention, and emphasize, everything you've mentioned here (not sure the military service really counts as work experience but it shows you're used to discipline, etc. The important thing is to explain what everything you talk about in your PS brought you, usually skill and quality wise. There's a video somewhere on the IC website which explains all this very well, probably better than me haha). The reference can also make a big difference!

They didn't call me in for an interview (not even via phone or skype) so maybe you won't either! Anyway, since it's an issue ask your referee to explain it in the reference (UCAS usually ask for dates when you aren't available for interview but that won't really help in your case).
Or you could even call or email your department and ask them if it would be an issue for them and if they'd be okay with just a phone interview (not now since they're still busy with this year's applicants but somewhere in October/November before you send in your UCAS application).

Hope this was helpful! :smile:
Original post by wintertale
Hi!
I was an EU applicant for Civil Engineering, and I'll be starting at Imperial in October. Like you I already had my grades (didn't do the IB but the French bac) so if you exceed the minimum requirements by far that's already a good start :smile:
I didn't have any experience in science/debating societies whatsoever either, but I did do two years of math/physics/chemistry at university level, as well as a small research project (which I ended up not finishing but I didn't know that at the time I applied). I also mentioned managing a small website as experience in my PS, as well as two sports at competition level.

I really think you should be fine if you mention, and emphasize, everything you've mentioned here (not sure the military service really counts as work experience but it shows you're used to discipline, etc. The important thing is to explain what everything you talk about in your PS brought you, usually skill and quality wise. There's a video somewhere on the IC website which explains all this very well, probably better than me haha). The reference can also make a big difference!

They didn't call me in for an interview (not even via phone or skype) so maybe you won't either! Anyway, since it's an issue ask your referee to explain it in the reference (UCAS usually ask for dates when you aren't available for interview but that won't really help in your case).
Or you could even call or email your department and ask them if it would be an issue for them and if they'd be okay with just a phone interview (not now since they're still busy with this year's applicants but somewhere in October/November before you send in your UCAS application).

Hope this was helpful! :smile:

Thank you so much for the response. To my detriment (interview-wise), my referee is a university professor (in mech. eng. :biggrin:) and is thus kind of incapable of explaining the problem I face with the interview. I think I'm just gonna email the admissions department and enquire about other options. Also, I have A LOT of time to work on the details of my PS since we don't really have a whole lot to do during our daily evening spare time :smile:

Now that you also mentioned preparatory study at a (French?) uni, did you study in a regular university or a prep school for Grandes Ecoles (lol at spelling, French is not my strongest domain...)? This might be an interesting option for me as well since my grades allow me to go to any Finnish engineering uni

However, my situation is not so challenging as I might have described for it is possible for us to get off-days to take care of civil needs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for the response. To my detriment (interview-wise), my referee is a university professor (in mech. eng. :biggrin:) and is thus kind of incapable of explaining the problem I face with the interview. I think I'm just gonna email the admissions department and enquire about other options. Also, I have A LOT of time to work on the details of my PS since we don't really have a whole lot to do during our daily evening spare time :smile:

Now that you also mentioned preparatory study at a (French?) uni, did you study in a regular university or a prep school for Grandes Ecoles (lol at spelling, French is not my strongest domain...)? This might be an interesting option for me as well since my grades allow me to go to any Finnish engineering uni

However, my situation is not so challenging as I might have described for it is possible for us to get off-days to take care of civil needs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean he can't explain the problem with the interview? You explained it here, it's not that hard to understand (if I may :tongue:). Anyway yeah ask them and you'll see, depending on what they tell you.
It's a good thing to start working on your PS as soon as you can then, I had to do it in like two weeks and it wasn't easy ^^.

I studied in the prep schools for the Grandes Ecoles (I'm surprised you actually know about this system, most people have never heard of it!). So you're also considering this? It's really a different -and extremely challenging- system so make sure that's really something you want to get into (especially since there's no guarantee of getting a good school after those two years). Of course you could also do one year and then go to university in the UK. It's all up to you but anyway if you have any questions about the classes prépas feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by wintertale
What do you mean he can't explain the problem with the interview? You explained it here, it's not that hard to understand (if I may :tongue:). Anyway yeah ask them and you'll see, depending on what they tell you.
It's a good thing to start working on your PS as soon as you can then, I had to do it in like two weeks and it wasn't easy ^^.

I studied in the prep schools for the Grandes Ecoles (I'm surprised you actually know about this system, most people have never heard of it!). So you're also considering this? It's really a different -and extremely challenging- system so make sure that's really something you want to get into (especially since there's no guarantee of getting a good school after those two years). Of course you could also do one year and then go to university in the UK. It's all up to you but anyway if you have any questions about the classes prépas feel free to ask! :smile:

No, I'm not considering French uni-prep schools as my French is limited to a few cheesy phrases but Finnish engineering unis instead as an option to bolster my resume. In my previous post I was just wondering (out of curiosity) whether you attended a (selective) prep school or a regular not-so-competitive university (to which everyone w/ a Fr. Bac. get accepted?).

And the problem with the referee's explanation of my travelling hindrance is that I don't really personally know the professor that well, and I don't want to bother him too much as he is a very busy academic. But yes, as you stated, the problem is not that complicated so I will probably just write an appendix letter to the uni where I explain my situation. Perhaps they/I can arrange a distance interview should I be unable to attend their admissions day.
Hey guys! I'm planning on studying mechanical engineering at Imperial College, the requirements are A*A*A,
I completed the A level maths and AS physics and will be doing all Further Maths this year along with A2 physics.
I achieved an A in AS physics and got an A in A level maths:frown:(87% in C3 and C4, so I will be retaking C3 only to get A*)
Also, my year 11 grades are terrible because I was in a bad school in Africa, and your grades were judged by your teachers (no exam or anything), and when I switched to A level in England, I realised that I was thought very little and had alot to catch up on to get to a basic level.
Therefore my teachers understand that and expect me to achieve better this year, therefore they told me I am getting predicted A*A*A or A*A*A*.
I also read alot of books relating to engineering and concepts such as thermodynamics.
I also have little work experience and I am currently searching for more work experience :smile::smile:
No, I'm not considering French uni-prep schools as my French is limited to a few cheesy phrases but Finnish engineering unis instead as an option to bolster my resume. In my previous post I was just wondering (out of curiosity) whether you attended a (selective) prep school or a regular not-so-competitive university (to which everyone w/ a Fr. Bac. get accepted?).

And the problem with the referee's explanation of my travelling hindrance is that I don't really personally know the professor that well, and I don't want to bother him too much as he is a very busy academic. But yes, as you stated, the problem is not that complicated so I will probably just write an appendix letter to the uni where I explain my situation. Perhaps they/I can arrange a distance interview should I be unable to attend their admissions day.

Oh okay, I misunderstood sorry! (Since you had written "this might be an interesting option blabla" right after asking which one i went to)
And yes, everyone can go to uni as long as you have your bac. Although some better unis are obviously more selective but I'm not very familiar with the system since i never went for that.

I'm sure you/they'll be able to work something out. :smile:
Good luck with your application then! (And to everyone else on this thread :smile:)
Reply 9
I want to apply for Civil Engineering. I got 4A*s and 6As at GCSE and achieved AAAC at AS (Maths Physics Chemistry and History). I plan on dropping history and picking up AS further maths. I am predicted A*A*Aa in Maths Physics Chemistry and further maths respectively. I've read relevant books, attended physics lectures at Warwick, volunteered but have irrelevant work experience (Accountancy), I am currently applying for relevant work experience. I feel like my C in history will let me down. On the off chance I do get invited to the 'recruitment days' could someone tell me their personal experience of one? I have no idea what to expect especially in the admissions test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RyaanL97
I want to apply for Civil Engineering. I got 4A*s and 6As at GCSE and achieved AAAC at AS (Maths Physics Chemistry and History). I plan on dropping history and picking up AS further maths. I am predicted A*A*Aa in Maths Physics Chemistry and further maths respectively. I've read relevant books, attended physics lectures at Warwick, volunteered but have irrelevant work experience (Accountancy), I am currently applying for relevant work experience. I feel like my C in history will let me down. On the off chance I do get invited to the 'recruitment days' could someone tell me their personal experience of one? I have no idea what to expect especially in the admissions test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,It seems like you have good chances of getting an offer, I really don't think like the C in history will matter much as it is irrelevant to your course, I got bad grades in econ and don't think it will let me down, although you should start working on your personal statement and try and make it as good as possible to get an edge on the other people, also, you should start relevant work experience ASAP(Same thing goes for me)
Hello everyone.
Ok, so i got AAAC in Maths,Physics,Chemistry& Government&politics all at AS level. I got 6 A's & 6 B's at GCSE and I am looking to apply to Civil engineering at imperial this coming October. I have excellent work experience such as working at Arup for a week in the Civil engineering department and also at another french engineering company called Bouygue, I've actually been to an imperial summer school and also I spent a week at Birmingham university doing "Railway engineering", as well as many other Physics lectures and Maths "projects" at Kings college. I have also done duke of Edinburgh (silver) and read upon a civil engineering book.

I would like to ask generally the chances I have of being given an offer, any responses are welcome !
and good luck to all the other applicants :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I am international student looking to apply for engineering but Have studied in the UK for 9 years.

My GCSEs are very very bad A*AAAC (C in English) and rest are BTECs. My school was under performing.

I obtained AAAA in AS-level and in my A2 I got A* in Maths, A* in Physics, A in Chemistry and B in Biology.

Lots of work experience which unfortunately in health care sector and I also went to a very very under performing sixth form with 0% students receiving AAB or above and many years students don't even get an A in A-level.

My UMS isnt great at all. Do you guys think I even have a chance in Cambridge or Oxford or even Imperial college london? Please Advice me guys.
Original post by faisalalz
I am international student looking to apply for engineering but Have studied in the UK for 9 years.

My GCSEs are very very bad A*AAAC (C in English) and rest are BTECs. My school was under performing.

I obtained AAAA in AS-level and in my A2 I got A* in Maths, A* in Physics, A in Chemistry and B in Biology.

Lots of work experience which unfortunately in health care sector and I also went to a very very under performing sixth form with 0% students receiving AAB or above and many years students don't even get an A in A-level.

My UMS isnt great at all. Do you guys think I even have a chance in Cambridge or Oxford or even Imperial college london? Please Advice me guys.
You could easily get interviewed by Imperial and Oxford, you have A*A*AB, and you need only A*A*A for the highest entry requirement engineering (if that makes sense) Don't know about Cambridge, because you said your UMS isn't spectacular, but it's still worth a shot. Also the fact that you performed very well and also you were in an underperforming 6th form gives you and edge.
Original post by elias_123
You could easily get interviewed by Imperial and Oxford, you have A*A*AB, and you need only A*A*A for the highest entry requirement engineering (if that makes sense) Don't know about Cambridge, because you said your UMS isn't spectacular, but it's still worth a shot. Also the fact that you performed very well and also you were in an underperforming 6th form gives you and edge.

What about my GCSEs my friend? wont they affect my chance?
What about my GCSEs my friend? wont they affect my chance?

They don't care about GCSEs :biggrin:

Taking the whole further maths syllabus next year, and teacher predicted me A*A*A, and also retaking c3 next year for the A*
I feel though like my M1 might let me down... Retaking also Physics coursework.
What are my odds? Also my Economics wont appear in my UCAS
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
could anyone suggest any books to read about civil engineering ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elias_123

Taking the whole further maths syllabus next year, and teacher predicted me A*A*A, and also retaking c3 next year for the A*
I feel though like my M1 might let me down... Retaking also Physics coursework.
What are my odds? Also my Economics wont appear in my UCAS

I say you should maybe drop the economics and concentrate solely in the maths, FM and physics. Also your A2 maths modules is close to an A* and from my experience I say repeat either C3 or C4 or both and also mechanics. The physics is fine since an A* only depends on your A2 exams only. The only issue is I am not sure you will be able to cope with doing the whole FM next year even though it isn't that hard since it is pretty similar skills to your normal mathematics. You need to give it all you got and finish the FM early so you have enough time to practice your maths and FM and deal with physics. Personally I studied physics by my self because my school didn't have a physics teacher for 3 months and then we got really bad teachers which the student is better at the subject then the teachers. And please the physics course work do that again and make sure your A2 physics course work is top quality.
I say you should maybe drop the economics and concentrate solely in the maths, FM and physics. Also your A2 maths modules is close to an A* and from my experience I say repeat either C3 or C4 or both and also mechanics. The physics is fine since an A* only depends on your A2 exams only. The only issue is I am not sure you will be able to cope with doing the whole FM next year even though it isn't that hard since it is pretty similar skills to your normal mathematics. You need to give it all you got and finish the FM early so you have enough time to practice your maths and FM and deal with physics. Personally I studied physics by my self because my school didn't have a physics teacher for 3 months and then we got really bad teachers which the student is better at the subject then the teachers. And please the physics course work do that again and make sure your A2 physics course work is top quality.

Thanks for the advice friend, means alot, do you reckon I have a chance of getting an offer from Imperial college for mechanical engineering? (PS: I'm dropping econ)

Quick Reply

Latest