The Student Room Group

QUICK QUESTION re. taking a gap year.

How do you actually in form the university that you're taking a gap year?

Is it when applying for UCAS - through deferred entry, or do you simply tell the university once they give you your place at the end of A2 that you'd like to defer for a year and go on a gap year?

Or are both possible? With the second way of doing it, will ALL universities (inc. Oxbridge, LSE, Durham, UCL, Warwick etc.) allow you to do this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by supergrantholt
How do you actually in form the university that you're taking a gap year?

Is it when applying for UCAS - through deferred entry, or do you simply tell the university once they give you your place at the end of A2 that you'd like to defer for a year and go on a gap year?

Or are both possible? With the second way of doing it, will ALL universities (inc. Oxbridge, LSE, Durham, UCL, Warwick etc.) allow you to do this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

When you enter each course on your UCAS form it'll have a few drop down boxes attached, one of which lets you say yes or no to deferred entry. Stating your deferral at the application stage like this is the only sure way to know that if you get an offer it will definitely be for the year after. As you suspected, asking later does not guarantee it happening. Having applied to Durham I remember their policy being that after you get an offer they won't really let you defer unless it is beneficial to them. Don't know about the others, check their websites (but I suspect it'll be similar).

Also, most places I applied to stressed that they want to know what you'd do fron your personal statement.
Ok thanks for the response. So if I'm not really dead set on a gap year/can't handle planning ahead, it's probably better to just get into a good uni and then try my luck when I'm in that position

Quick Reply

Latest