The Student Room Group

Where did you live/ will you be living in your first year of uni? + your experience

Hey guys

Just thought it would be interesting to make a thread on this. I applied for halls for this September but it isn't looking likely that I'll be getting a place. So I'll be looking around at private accommodation, i.e. flatshares/houseshares. I'll be a bit gutted if I don't get halls as I was really looking forward to the whole "halls experience" but I guess private accommodation has its plus-sides too.

So where did you live in your first year? What was your overall experience of your living conditions? Do you feel you got the most out of it? If you lived with other students, did you get on with them? I'd love to hear about people's experiences :smile:

And to those who are starting this year, where will you be living? Are you happy with this?
I'm starting in September and will be living at home as an annual railpass for the 10 minute journey was cheaper than halls so it seemed like the right decision. I'm a bit fussy when it comes to toilets, showers, kitchens as I have some weird germ phobia so staying at home helps with that.

In some ways it's a bit gutting as all the social side will be missed but in other ways it's great as I'll have a luxurious student life :smile: I'm not a big partier anyway and plan to make most friends through clubs so the advantages of home seemed to outweight the disadvantages.
Original post by Madeline_H95
I'm starting in September and will be living at home as an annual railpass for the 10 minute journey was cheaper than halls so it seemed like the right decision. I'm a bit fussy when it comes to toilets, showers, kitchens as I have some weird germ phobia so staying at home helps with that.

In some ways it's a bit gutting as all the social side will be missed but in other ways it's great as I'll have a luxurious student life :smile: I'm not a big partier anyway and plan to make most friends through clubs so the advantages of home seemed to outweight the disadvantages.

Haha yeah you won't have to be paying extortionate rent like I'm going to have to! So that's a massive plus side. I know someone who was at home for her first year and she still had a great time, made friends who she then did a flatshare with in her second year. So it is possible to have a good time whilst living at home, theres just no way in hell I'd ever consider it because my mum and I argue on a daily basis :lol:
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Haha yeah you won't have to be paying extortionate rent like I'm going to have to! So that's a massive plus side. I know someone who was at home for her first year and she still had a great time, made friends who she then did a flatshare with in her second year. So it is possible to have a good time whilst living at home, theres just no way in hell I'd ever consider it because my mum and I argue on a daily basis :lol:

I know rent was so expensive it was over £1k for the year and that doesn't include the summer :eek: I plan on renting a flat for my second or third year depending on who I meet. I did consider jsut going straight for a mortgage but it seems such a long time off yet. I think the whole idea of living in halls and how much more social it is is overblown. Parents are annoying sometimes as they only want the best but I do feel for you there, constantly arguing with parents is never nice.
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Hey guys

Just thought it would be interesting to make a thread on this. I applied for halls for this September but it isn't looking likely that I'll be getting a place. So I'll be looking around at private accommodation, i.e. flatshares/houseshares. I'll be a bit gutted if I don't get halls as I was really looking forward to the whole "halls experience" but I guess private accommodation has its plus-sides too.

So where did you live in your first year? What was your overall experience of your living conditions? Do you feel you got the most out of it? If you lived with other students, did you get on with them? I'd love to hear about people's experiences :smile:

And to those who are starting this year, where will you be living? Are you happy with this?

I am starting in September. I was allocated uni halls yesterday which I am really pleased about because the uni I'm going to doesn't have enough for everyone and they were fully booked but I was given a cancellation slot. I applied through clearing so thought I didn't have a chance. But I think private accomodation would be cool so don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 5
I was in halls. The accommodation blocks themselves were lush, plenty of typical arguments and fallings out with flat mates though :rolleyes: as you do. I met one girl who is a friend for life though, but yeah it was a long and tiring situation to argue with others at 5 am when you have labs at 9 am, or trying to avoid maggots/mould all over the kitchen.

Lots of university areas have private halls which are very close to what the universities offer. I think they are quite decent if you're not sure about living in a private house with shared areas etc. as they usually have en-suites. They're not all that cheap though, which tends to be the downside.

The problem with signing up for a private house is you really ought to see it beforehand, which can be difficult if you're far away and need to organise something quickly. I expect most other students are pleasant enough, and even if you don't become best of friends then you can be civilised and live together fine. Just need to avoid somewhere that has damp coming through everywhere, and have a landlord or letting agent that actually pays attention and actions stuff when you complain. If you get a nice house it can be a really comfortable place to live in.
I was in halls, it had its upsides and downsides. On a whole I'm glad I went for halls, it meant that I made loads of friends. The downside was the noise because my flat mates were probably the loudest girls on the planet but overall the pros outweighed the cons.
i spent my first year in halls, and honestly it had its ups and downs. it wasnt on campus, and the food wasnt brilliant, but it was alright and i had a decent room and decent friends around me so it was good.
Long story short - my parents allowed me to move into shared accomodation about half an hour away from them. I advertised the free space and I got some new friends for life :h:

But before that, I stayed in halls for two weeks. Couldn't sleep because of all the noise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending