The Student Room Group

Do Universities care about these?

Lately I've been looking at ways I can make my application stand out in contrast to all the thousands of other people trying to get a spot at a University. It's especially competitive and I have an older friend who scored A*,A and A at A levels but was declined from Medicine due to a lack of work experience. Hence, I've been getting into volunteering more and doing these award things.

For instance I shadowed a doctor at one of my local hospitals for a week, and then I worked at a small charity shop in the neighbourhood for a few days. But now I'm contemplating something "bigger" like doing Duke of Edinburgh (Gold) - And also doing the CREST awards to gain an advantage.

How much does this all come to play when applying to a University? I'd preferably like to get in a good university (I'm doing AS currently).
Reply 1
Medicine courses are one of only a few where even with entry requirements you may not be accepted due to lack of experience. Even if you want to do medicine at uni I think the shadowing will be enough to write about on personal statement or talk about at an interview. Good luck
I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Anyone else? :P
Reply 3
What do you want to do at Uni?
I'm contemplating either taking a science route and either doing actual Medicine or Biomedicine; but I'm leaning towards perhaps doing Economics, which sounds equally competitive.
Reply 5
It really is only medicine that experience is essential as long as you get the grades and have a good personal statement then youll be accepted on other courses without experience.
Original post by chem@uni
It really is only medicine that experience is essential as long as you get the grades and have a good personal statement then youll be accepted on other courses without experience.

Interesting. I guess Medicine is a hell of a lot more competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending