The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lykabelle
leave a blank line

Ah. Alas, I don't have enough room to leave a blank line, hence the need for indenting. Unfortunately, UCAS doesn't seem to like that...
Reply 21
Lykabelle
leave a blank line

leave a line! are you mad woman! valuable lineage would be lost!
mtbab
leave a line! are you mad woman! valuable lineage would be lost!

lol, yeah i know I won't be able to do that for my personal statement so i have to defy the laws of English in order to save lines.:wink: However i've been told that on a computer, you should leave a blank line without indentation but going on to the next line with indentation is all right as well.
Reply 23
the truth is as much as we think our PSs look terrible coz of the non formatting and no line leavage (cud be a word lol) admission tutors are used to this and know the traumas we face so there should really be no problem
mtbab
the truth is as much as we think our PSs look terrible coz of the non formatting and no line leavage (cud be a word lol) admission tutors are used to this and know the traumas we face so there should really be no problem

yeah, i bet they've seen just huge chunks of text without any paragraphs, indentation, nothing. Poor them:p:
At least making an effort to go onto the next line to make paragraphs should be enough.
Reply 25
Lykabelle
yeah, i bet they've seen just huge chunks of text without any paragraphs, indentation, nothing. Poor them:p:
At least making an effort to go onto the next line to make paragraphs should be enough.

mate in the yr above did this one long para lol it hurt your eyes to look at but he got 5offers including durham so it worked
mtbab
mate in the yr above did this one long para lol it hurt your eyes to look at but he got 5offers including durham so it worked

Good for him but i'm sure after quite a few some admissions tutors will be slightly peed off. I believe York asks that you leave a line in your personal statement. Whether people take notice or not is a whole different matter.:wink:
Reply 27
I managed to get mine to 4000 characters and 47 lines, putting in a couple of double line spaces. I had more trouble making it up to the limit than cutting it down, actually. I hate reading over my own work, though, so I kind of avoid looking over it too much.
I will be doing this tomorrow. Not looking forward to it! Trying to put it off for as long as possible- probably not a good thing.
I really don't think admissions tutors will be terribly fussed about the formatting of your personal statement, more about the content - they will be well aware of the limitations of the online system and will probably normalise the formatting once it beins being processed internally by each uni anyway?

Thats my guess anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending