The Student Room Group

Are there any exceptions to the adjustment process? I want to change course.

I completed my A levels in 2013 and went on to study a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design rather than attending university. At the time I thought I wanted to progress to study an art based Uni course so this seemed like the best option to allow me to build my skills. I applied for 5 art courses this year which all varied greatly including Costume Design, Fine Art and Textile Design. I didn’t particularly like any of the courses but the head tutor of my foundation course told us all we must apply for an art based uni course to pass one of the units on my Foundation Diploma. I wrongly accepted an unconditional offer for a Textile Design course. I am currently due to start this course in September but really don’t want to do this course at all. I was hoping I’d be able to change my course through adjustment following A Level results day, but as I had an unconditional offer I’m not sure this is possible. I would really like to change to a different course and different university; I have over 800 UCAS points, far more than the course I wish to do requires. I really want to attend university this year instead of having to reapply to start next September. Does anyone know if there is any possibility for me to change course ready for this September? Will UCAS make exceptions to the adjustment process? Are there any other ways to change course besides adjustment? :confused:
Original post by Jamiehannah
I completed my A levels in 2013 and went on to study a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design rather than attending university. At the time I thought I wanted to progress to study an art based Uni course so this seemed like the best option to allow me to build my skills. I applied for 5 art courses this year which all varied greatly including Costume Design, Fine Art and Textile Design. I didn’t particularly like any of the courses but the head tutor of my foundation course told us all we must apply for an art based uni course to pass one of the units on my Foundation Diploma. I wrongly accepted an unconditional offer for a Textile Design course. I am currently due to start this course in September but really don’t want to do this course at all. I was hoping I’d be able to change my course through adjustment following A Level results day, but as I had an unconditional offer I’m not sure this is possible. I would really like to change to a different course and different university; I have over 800 UCAS points, far more than the course I wish to do requires. I really want to attend university this year instead of having to reapply to start next September. Does anyone know if there is any possibility for me to change course ready for this September? Will UCAS make exceptions to the adjustment process? Are there any other ways to change course besides adjustment? :confused:

You cannot use adjustment but, if you get the textile course to release you then you can look at clearing
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
You cannot use adjustment but, if you get the textile course to release you then you can look at clearing

Okay, how do I go about this, do I ring the uni which currently holds my offer? Do I then apply online or ring up my desired uni like with the adjustment process?
Thankyou very much for your help, i didn't think there was any hope for me to change course under the conditions.
Original post by Jamiehannah
Okay, how do I go about this, do I ring the uni which currently holds my offer? Do I then apply online or ring up my desired uni like with the adjustment process?
Thankyou very much for your help, i didn't think there was any hope for me to change course under the conditions.

Be 100% sure before you ask to be released

Have you found places that you want to apply to

Take these steps

look for places that you want to apply to

give them a tentative call

ask if they still have places and explain your situation

if there are places that seem interested in you

call your current place and ask to be released

badger them if they are slow

then you will get a clearing number

then re-call the place(s) that showed interest and apply

Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
Be 100% sure before you ask to be released

Have you found places that you want to apply to

Take these steps

look for places that you want to apply to

give them a tentative call

ask if they still have places and explain your situation

if there are places that seem interested in you

call your current place and ask to be released

badger them if they are slow

then you will get a clearing number

then re-call the place(s) that showed interest and apply

That's great thankyou, it is something I have been thinking about since I got my grade for my Foundation Diploma back in June so I'm certain that it's the right choice for me to change. I shall ring up first thing tomorrow. Many thanks once again, guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed now that the course I want has places still available.

Quick Reply

Latest