The Student Room Group

Mature students 2015 university applicants

I know there is a thread for 2014 applicants so i thought i would start one for people hoping to go to uni in 2015. I thought it would be easy to use the same format as the other thread. Hope thats ok :smile:

What are you currently studying/have studied. Starting Access to pharmacy & biomedical science.
Which universities are you applying to. Queen mary, KCL, hertfordshire, middlesex and im not sure on the 5th one yet.
Which course(s) do you want to do. Biomedical science
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 26 :smile: And very nervous about starting the access course in 2 weeks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are you currently studying/have studied. Starting Access to HE - Pharmacy and Biomedical Science.
Which universities are you applying to. Bath, Brighton, Ulster. (Can't decide on a 4th or 5th because I can't see myself going anywhere else right now!)
Which course(s) do you want to do. Pharmacy.
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 20, have my GCSE's and A Levels but they aren't in suitable subjects for entry to the MPharm course. (:
(edited 9 years ago)
What are you currently studying/have studied. I have BA in Social Services, currently working.
Which universities are you applying to. University of Stirling.
Which course(s) do you want to do. Postgrad diploma/MSC in Social Work
Any other info you feel like sharing. This programme starts in February 2015, but that's still 2015, right? :smile: I'll be 26 by then and I will move to Scotland with my husband and kids.. We are more than excited!
Reply 3
What are you currently studying/have studied - I am starting Access to Social Sciences in September.
Which universities are you applying to - Brighton and Chichester, need to be close to home due to family commitments.
Which course(s) do you want to do - Primary Education with QTS
Any other info you feel like sharing - I'm 34, mother of 2 boys, excited and nervous about starting the Access course :smile:
Reply 4
Good luck to you all :smile: I have induction on the 2nd and soooo nervous about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What are you currently studying/have studied- Completed a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Forensic Science in 2010, achieving DDD.

Which universities are you applying to- Surrey, Portsmouth, Brighton, Plymouth, UWE.

Which course(s) do you want to do- Paramedic Science

Any other info you feel like sharing- I am selling my house and quitting my job to go to uni, after withdrawing from a LLB Law offer at Reading uni back in 2010 & 2011. I didn't go, as i met my partner but have decided it's time to be selfish and do what i want to do. Fingers crossed! Need to get a personal statement done.
I'll be 24 next September, so still think i will be one of the golden oldies!
(edited 9 years ago)
What are you currently studying/have studied - currently self studying a level maths/economics/environmental studies

Which universities are you applying to-
Birmingham / Coventry / others not sure yet got open days planed!

Which course(s) do you want to do-
looking into environmental economics or maths with economics

Any other info you feel like sharing
- I'm 32 also registered carer for my mother. Its all a bit overwhelming but enjoying the challenge.
Original post by bittybee
Any other info you feel like sharing- I'm 26, and super excited but a bit nervous! If I get in I'll have to quit my job, we'll (me and my boyfriend) have to sell our house, and move across the country somewhere, find a new house, new jobs...it's all rather scary. But I'm ready for a challenge. If I don't get in...not sure really. We might still sell up and quit our jobs, then go travelling abroad and reassess what to do with the rest of our lives! What the hell. I want to do something big either way!

We are going through same kind of pondering. We don't know if I get accepted to the uni in Scotland - but we have already put our flat for sale and also sold most of our furniture! Either way an adventure is ahead of us and we will try our wings in UK while we are still relatively young and we have the guts (you can also call it immaturity or naivety or just daredevilism :biggrin:) to make this kind of change in our life. I am too leaving a steady full time job. Sometimes we've got to take your chances! I hope the best for you and your boyfriend!
What are you currently studying/have studied - Access to Science

Which universities are you applying to- Sheffield - it was that or Liverpool (which is too far)

Which course(s) do you want to do- Orthoptics!

Any other info you feel like sharing - I'm 29, mum of 2 and giving up my career in hope of getting a more rewarding job. Scared but excited!
Reply 9
What Courses I'm doing at the moment?

Hopefully Access Course in Psychology this year.

What unis am I applying to?

Sussex, Portsmouth, Surrey, Chichester and Brighton I think at the moment (Need to stay close to home as I will be commuting).

What course will I be taking?

Psychology, Applied Psychology, Forensic Psychology or Psychology and Criminology (depending on which uni, as each uni run different courses).

Any other information I wish to share?

I am 26 and have 2 little ones. I haven't been in education for over 10 years, since GCSEs. So the thought is a little daunting but I am looking forward to it.
Reply 10
What are you currently studying/have studied?
Starting Access to Science in a couple of weeks!

Which universities are you applying to?
Sheffield, Kent, Bristol, Hertford and Exeter.

Which course(s) do you want to do?
Astrophysics MPhys

Any other info you feel like sharing?
I've just turned 38 and very excited to get started.
What are you currently studying/have studied: IT BTEC Level 3
Which universities are you applying to:
Nottingham, Leeds, Lancaster, Aston and either Lincoln or Nottingham Trent.
Which course(s) do you want to do:
Computer Science
Any other info you feel like sharing:
One more year left at college and then I will be off to university! I will be 22 by the time I start, so not really "mature" but older than the majority - worried that I won't fit in :frown: Very much looking forward to the course though!
Reply 12
Hi

20 years old, starting access to engineering this September. Aiming to study BEng Chemical Engineering at Teesside!
What are you currently studying/have studied. Starting Access to Science and Engineering in two weeks
Which universities are you applying to. Leeds, Nottingham, Newcastle, Swansea and Cardiff or Loughborough
Which course(s) do you want to do. Civil Engineering or Civil and Environmental Engineering with a Foundation Year
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 32 :biggrin:
What are you currently studying/have studied
- I have completed BA Business Enterprise and 120 Environmental Studies
Which universities are you applying to - Oxford Brookes
Which course(s) do you want to do - adult and mental health nursing
Any other info you feel like sharing - I'm 38 just about completed 22 years Army service and can complete another 2 but I want to pursue a nursing career I'm just terrified I won't get a place and then will have left a perfectly good high paying job mmmm
Original post by Sinirastas
What are you currently studying/have studied. I have BA in Social Services, currently working.
Which universities are you applying to. University of Stirling.
Which course(s) do you want to do. Postgrad diploma/MSC in Social Work
Any other info you feel like sharing. This programme starts in February 2015, but that's still 2015, right? :smile: I'll be 26 by then and I will move to Scotland with my husband and kids.. We are more than excited!

Not 100 % but I saw another thread where early intakes in the year are classed as 2014 maybe worth ringing admissions as not to disappoint etc good luck..
What are you currently studying/have studied: Going to do Access in Social Science (Psychology and Sociology).
Which universities are you (ideally?) applying to: I'm looking at a fair amount but in order of difficulty in main contenders are - Cambridge, LSE, Bath, Warwick, Exeter, Birmingham, Goldsmiths, Aston
Which course(s) do you want to do: Politics, Social Policy, or a flexible Social Sciences course. I would like to do Economics but limited by the fact that the access course has no maths.
Any other info you feel like sharing: I wonder if I'm setting my sights too high. My previous academic profile is nowhere near good enough (As and Bs at GCSE, ABBC at AS) but I feel like I've been severely limited by my health thus far. But it could strike again...

I wouldn't blame the interviewer at the college to slap me in the face and say "You joking?" Okay perhaps a little harsh on myself ... GAH! :confused:
What are you currently studying/have studied: I have my A Levels and I also have a diploma of higher education from when I attempted uni once before! Currently studying a Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce (Early Years Pathway).

Which universities are you (ideally?) applying to: Bath Spa is my only choice really as I want to stay living where I am! Not sure if that's limiting myself a little too much...

Which course(s) do you want to do: BA Early Years Education (Primary Teaching Pathway)

Any other info you feel like sharing: 23 does not feel like a 'mature' age! However I feel much more prepared than when I applied for uni the first time.
Currently studying: I start my CIPD Certificate in HR course on 9th of Sept :biggrin:
University applying to: Northampton and possibly De Montfort too
Which course: Human Resource Management

I am nervous about September, starting my first ever level 3 course. I am 27 and a single mum of two :smile:
Reply 19
Good luck to everyone starting this September. I have induction next week and the nerves have really kicked in especially since all the Uni courses I'm applying for require 30+ distinctions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest