The Student Room Group

Woman glasses a man's eye, has 18 previous assaults, gets anger management classes.

Scroll to see replies

If only there was some sort of egalitarian movement that tried to make genders equal in the eyes of the law and society.

Shame all we have is feminism :rolleyes:
Moved to news & current affairs :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Marky Mark
i'd let her off for looking good......

Christ.
Original post by SandmanMMA
Do you think most people would call the police over a threat or having a drink chucked in their face at though? Lets be real, no sane person gets 18 convictions for assault. Stop trying to make her seem innocent "oh but she could have had those when she was a teen" so? What is your point? She still hit someone. (most likely she hit. Why? Because probably only few cases ever of throwing a drink etc are actually taken to court. I don't think the court would take it seriously either, nor do I think the majority of he public know that it's assault. I imagine the jury would laugh it off and not believe the waste of time taking place.) About knowing her personally, we don't need to. If person A hits person B with a weapon and causes damage shouldn't jail just be automatic? And if person A has a history of assault convictions of a varying degree doesn't that strengthen the case for them to be jailed? Isn't that a form of ABH?

Especially if you're female because you can get away with a lot more before someone calls the police on you anyway.

Original post by ApeMob
Hold up why are we still talking about the photos? I don't care. I just wanted to clarify if the black woman is the Yasmin girl because I wanted to point out that because she is black and got off she must be somewhat innocent, if it's true that black people get put away the most for the least.

And also, understand law. I major in Criminal Justice and I know how law basically works. No one said "tickling" so stop hunting for reps and I didn't say pouring drinks, I said throwing. :rolleyes: Two totally different levels of force.

The number we've already discussed, why beat a dead horse. My opinion based on how I know the legal and penal system work is that assault isn't always punching, kicking, biting, weapons. It IS simply: threatening or making unpermitted contact with someone else's person, and that my friend, can and has included spitting and throwing drinks. :smile: We also don't know how she was penalised. Convictions ranges from community service, to probation, a stained record, must pay dues, or jail/prison. All we know is she was convicted unless you know her personally and can clarify further for me.

How does her being black make her innocent? :rofl: There are so many anti-racism, anti-discrimination laws here that isn't an issue. The fact is she's been giving anger management classes after 18 convictions because she's a woman. This just sends a message out to all the women in this country, "Acts of violence are okay as long as you only do it 18 times. After 18 times you'l need to take anger management classes. Just make sure you're not male mmkay?"

And the US legal system is much different from UK btw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by ChickenMadness
Especially if you're female because you can get away with a lot more before someone calls the police on you anyway.

How does her being black make her innocent? :rofl: There are so many anti-racism, anti-discrimination laws here that isn't an issue. The fact is she's been giving anger management classes after 18 convictions because she's a woman. This just sends a message out to all the women in this country, "Acts of violence are okay as long as you only do it 18 times. After 18 times you'l need to take anger management classes. Just make sure you're not male mmkay?"

And the US legal system is much different from UK btw.

Don't rofl at me >.< And I didn't say black means innocent. I said even in later posts :colonhash: that because of the "myth" that black people are "put away the most for the least" and she didn't get put away she must be innocent if she is black and didn't get put away. Not that she is black and therefore innocent. I never said that. Go back and read it again mister :eviltongue: And we've soooo argued about this before, the US vs UK laws and reverse discrimination of men. Ok fine that's your stance, that's important to you, ok we'll disagree :sigh:
Sexism
Original post by saayagain
Sexism

This day old thread is richer for this contribution.
Original post by ApeMob
Don't rofl at me >.< And I didn't say black means innocent. I said even in later posts :colonhash: that because of the "myth" that black people are "put away the most for the least" and she didn't get put away she must be innocent if she is black and didn't get put away. Not that she is black and therefore innocent. I never said that. Go back and read it again mister :eviltongue: And we've soooo argued about this before, the US vs UK laws and reverse discrimination of men. Ok fine that's your stance, that's important to you, ok we'll disagree :sigh:

You do realise that she got 18 CONVICTIONS right? That means she was already proven guilty 18 TIMES!!! How on Earth have you managed to gather from the info on this woman that she must be innocent? The one thing you are right about is yes, black people are unfairly looked upon in the justice system, especially in the U.S. However, that doesn't mean the only reason this woman got away was because she's innocent. If she's been convicted, she's already guilty, and even if she was convicted unfairly and really was innocent some of the time, the odds of her not having assaulted anyone in ALL of those 18 incidents are a little too long to consider. Like the OP says, the only reason I can think of for her getting off easy is her gender.

You may not be defending this woman, but as an aside, this most recent attack was unprovoked. She almost blinded the guy when she glassed him, all over a cigarette her friend knocked out of his hand, which she then picked up and asked 'you not going to say thank you?' I presume he didn't, and she glassed him for that.
Reply 48
^^I don't even give a **** anymore, how'd you find this.
Reply 49
I don't know what y'all are arguing about here but I'm gonna take this article pinch of salt seeing as it's The Daily Mail and every other article is fiction.
Jeez, women are just so oppressed
Black skin privilege
Original post by ApeMob
^^I don't even give a **** anymore, how'd you find this.

If you're asking how I found out if the attack was unprovoked, it says so in the article posted by the OP, just read it.
Original post by Danz123
You do realise that she got 18 CONVICTIONS right? That means she was already proven guilty 18 TIMES!!! How on Earth have you managed to gather from the info on this woman that she must be innocent?
For the sake of the argument if you plead guilty I think it's still labelled as a conviction and an incident can have multiple charges.
Reply 54
Original post by Truths
I don't know what y'all are arguing about here but I'm gonna take this article pinch of salt seeing as it's The Daily Mail and every other article is fiction.

There is plenty of other places which published this article. Although i've seen some of your posts, so it comes as no shock you like so many feminists would choose to ignore this to focus on menial issues.
Reply 55
Original post by JG1233
There is plenty of other places which published this article. Although i've seen some of your posts, so it comes as no shock you like so many feminists would choose to ignore this to focus on menial issues.

Lol that's rich. I am far from a feminists, in my life I more likely accused of misogyny, but I suppose up against the extremists on TSR I do look like Sinead O Connor XD.
But back on topic even though this is a unique case, everyone including femanists understand that women have advantage in the justice system but it wasn't women or femanists perpetuating the doctrine that females are WEAK and this harmless to society. That was still the mans fault.
Reply 56
Original post by Truths
Lol that's rich. I am far from a feminists, in my life I more likely accused of misogyny, but I suppose up against the extremists on TSR I do look like Sinead O Connor XD.
But back on topic even though this is a unique case, everyone including femanists understand that women have advantage in the justice system but it wasn't women or femanists perpetuating the doctrine that females are WEAK and this harmless to society. That was still the mans fault.

Women being given lenient sentences is not unique to this case. This is just an obvious example of it in place, and the victims comments about if he would have glassed her even without a criminal record he would have been sent to jail seemingly obvious.

Not men of this era. Feminists who often campaign for such petty issues, whilst claiming to be for equal rights and not women>men rights, consistently ignore issues such as these. Blaming men today for women receiving lenient sentences etc. is like blaming all terrorism on Islam, ignorant,
Reply 57
Original post by JG1233
Women being given lenient sentences is not unique to this case.

Anyone, man or woman getting away with 18 violent crimes is a unique case...

Original post by JG1233
Not men of this era. Feminists who often campaign for such petty issues, whilst claiming to be for equal rights and not women>men rights, consistently ignore issues such as these. Blaming men today for women receiving lenient sentences etc. is like blaming all terrorism on Islam, ignorant,

Yes men today. With sayings like "you fight like a girl", "run like a girl" "____ like a girl", the hackneyed damsel in distress trope in tv & film, using "p*ssy" female genitalia as a metaphor for weakness, cowardice? "grow some balls" as a metaphor for bravery. I could go on...

Reply 58
Original post by Truths
Anyone, man or woman getting away with 18 violent crimes is a unique case...

As i said before, this is a case which noticeably illustrates lenient sentencing towards women, but is not limited to this case.

Yes men today. With sayings like "you fight like a girl", "run like a girl" "____ like a girl", the hackneyed damsel in distress trope in tv & film, using "p*ssy" female genitalia as a metaphor for weakness, cowardice? "grow some balls" as a metaphor for bravery. I could go on...

Whats wrong with saying "like a girl", its just a insult used by men towards other men. An average man could beat a woman in a fight, or a race, or ______,. So to say to a man you fight like a girl is a insult but it holds relevance. Are we supposed to pretend that men aren't faster, stronger etc. on average than females? Females have a higher pass rate on exams then men, have you ever heard someone say "you do your exam like a girl!", no?, because it isn't relevant. To physical activity it is, and its generally an insult so not meant to be friendly.

However how a man jokingly telling his friend he runs like a girl because hes slow has somehow influenced this woman's sentence baffles me. But then the majority of what you said did.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by JG1233

Females have a higher pass rate on exams then men, have you ever heard someone say "you do your exam like a girl!", no?,
good point. So why isn't "Like a boy" a saying in this context?

Original post by JG1233
because it isn't relevant. To physical activity it is, and its generally an insult so not meant to be friendly.
Using girl as insult as if being a female is something to be ashamed of isn't sexist to you? kk

Original post by JG1233
However how a man jokingly telling his friend he runs like a girl because hes slow has somehow influenced this woman's sentence baffles me. But then the majority of what you said did.

So you say claim that on average,women are genetically inferior (a grossly exaggerated credence), then you should understand why our culture regards women as weak and harmless thus they receive more lenient sentences. The idea of women being weak/weaker,(the idea that you believe) extends into many facets of society, like it did when women were not allowed to vote or own property... because of men. I find it both rich and predictable that you would condemn feminists/women for benefiting from the very thing that is used against them 9/10. Lemme guess you are a white male. Of course you would have no awareness of privilege. Yes I went there, and you know it's true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending