The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Uni worries

I don't know why but I'm really scared about starting uni and making friends ( I've just chosen my accommodation today) I wanted to be in a lively college but I'm not confident if people are very outgoing until I get to know them, therefore I've chosen a 'quiet' college but am worried after a month it's going to be boring for me. I would say I'm a fun and outgoing person with my friends and I also went volunteering abroad when I was 16 and didn't find that hard and made friends with people who I still meet up with. I think this is different as you spend 30 weeks of the year with these people
Original post by randsomeage
I don't know why but I'm really scared about starting uni and making friends ( I've just chosen my accommodation today) I wanted to be in a lively college but I'm not confident if people are very outgoing until I get to know them, therefore I've chosen a 'quiet' college but am worried after a month it's going to be boring for me. I would say I'm a fun and outgoing person with my friends and I also went volunteering abroad when I was 16 and didn't find that hard and made friends with people who I still meet up with. I think this is different as you spend 30 weeks of the year with these people

Don't worry this sounds like normal normal pre-uni worries and by how you have described your personality you will be absolutely fine! being in the quiet college doesn't mean they are your only friends....at uni(at mine anyway) everyone may live in separate housing areas but everyone mixes in at other blocks etc also youll make friends in your lectures, clubs/societies.....your college and halls aren't the only group of friends you'll have....don't stress....embrace :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by at-the-beach
Don't worry this sounds like normal normal pre-uni worries and by how you have described your personality you will be absolutely fine! being in the quiet college doesn't mean they are your only friends....at uni(at mine anyway) everyone may live in separate housing areas but everyone mixes in at other blocks etc also youll make friends in your lectures, clubs/societies.....your college and halls aren't the only group of friends you'll have....don't stress....embrace :smile:

I'm having them very early though I don't start for another month! Yeah but these are the people you meet first... I just worry a lot. I think I'll make friends easy! Like I will talk to anyone but if they seem intimidating/people that like to show off, I wouldn't feel as confident, until I knew them, and during this time they may think I am boring.. Anyway I've chosen it now can't change it!
Original post by randsomeage
I'm having them very early though I don't start for another month! Yeah but these are the people you meet first... I just worry a lot. I think I'll make friends easy! Like I will talk to anyone but if they seem intimidating/people that like to show off, I wouldn't feel as confident, until I knew them, and during this time they may think I am boring.. Anyway I've chosen it now can't change it!

i was quiet for the first few weeks and was called boring....by the end of the year i was going out more than them and had a lot more close friends than they did and socially i was happier than they were......initially uni seems like one big party and its great if you like that kind of thing but sometimes people become comfortable later than others
please please don't worry about it! everyone is anxious just like you and people will be desperate to be YOUR friend! If you don't click with people you live with don't worry there are so many other ways of finding friends - societies are a great way to make friends as well! I guarantee there will be all sorts of people living with you and you will find people to hang out with. nobody will be feeling confident and secure, everyone has just gone through a major life change!
Reply 5
You've just got to remember everyone is in the same boat as you. When you get there everyone will be looking for new friends and you'll find yourself quickly comfortable with them as you'll be with them most of freshers week. Every college has a reputation but there is a mix of people in every college from quiet to outgoing so don't worry about the 'quiet' college (I bet you've picked Alcuin). There is loads of people you'll meet through your course and societies if you don't find anyone your comfortable with in your college. You'll have a class time!
Reply 6
An important thing to remember is that there isn't actually such a thing as a 'quiet' college per se. Alcuin is the stereotypical quiet college because it's out of the way, a bit pricier, has no bar and has fewer grand events, but it's important to realise there's a difference between quiet and quieter. Every college is made up of diverse people - some will be 'quiet', some will be 'loud', most will be a happy medium somewhere in between. All run very high budget fresher's week events, most of which are similar and organised alongside other colleges, and then throughout the year every college runs regular social events. I was doing something literally every day with my friends and going out two or three times a week in my first year and I lived in a 'quiet' college (and met all of my friends in that college).

Also remember that it isn't the end of the world if you don't much like your flat. Most people will make friends in their flat, but plenty will have friends elsewhere too. Many people find their main friend groups come from societies or their course. Others find another flat in their block or college that they get on better with and spend time with them more than their own flat - in my case, I ended up becoming closer to the flat above where I lived than my own flat. There are so many ways to make friends. You'll be absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending