The Student Room Group

Verbal Reasoning - UKCAT!!!

Hey guys,

I have approximately one month until my UKCAT exam and I am REALLY struggling on the Verbal Reasoning section.

After the first two passages I feel my concentration declining and my eyes get tired and I'm just like in my head ''ah fudge this!'' I usually get 40%-60% of the questions I do correct (rarely 60 in some cases) and I'm starting to lose hope and panick.

My question is can improve this in a month? I have been doing some revision two months beforehand but not as intense as the past week. Isit maybe that I'm not use to reading such big chunks in such a small amount of time and can't concentrate as intensely and get sloppy? so practise will help?

Also for the Decision Analysis section, translating english to codes? Any tips to quickly figure out which option is correct? I'm always getting these wrong because I try to rush them and translating each takes too much time!!

Please also recommend any websites that test your graph/table reading skills (required for quantitative reasoning?)

Tell me about your experiences and best tips and tricks during your revision and the strategy /revision mistakes you made- Thank you for your time :smile:

Scroll to see replies

bump
Original post by TheNextAmyLee
Hey guys,

I have approximately one month until my UKCAT exam and I am REALLY struggling on the Verbal Reasoning section.

After the first two passages I feel my concentration declining and my eyes get tired and I'm just like in my head ''ah fudge this!'' I usually get 40%-60% of the questions I do correct (rarely 60 in some cases) and I'm starting to lose hope and panick.

My question is can improve this in a month? I have been doing some revision two months beforehand but not as intense as the past week. Isit maybe that I'm not use to reading such big chunks in such a small amount of time and can't concentrate as intensely and get sloppy? so practise will help?

Also for the Decision Analysis section, translating english to codes? Any tips to quickly figure out which option is correct? I'm always getting these wrong because I try to rush them and translating each takes too much time!!

Please also recommend any websites that test your graph/table reading skills (required for quantitative reasoning?)

Tell me about your experiences and best tips and tricks during your revision and the strategy /revision mistakes you made- Thank you for your time :smile:

You're doomed. I got 720 in DA, 680 in AR, 670 in QR but 430 in VR.

VR is the cancer of all UKCAT med/dent applications.

On a serious note, you can't even prepare for ukcat other than do practice papers and then yolo swag 420 blaze the real thing,
Reply 3
Hi I've got my ukcat tomorrow and also suck at this VR. In the test this year is it mostly the true/faulse questions with a few of them comprehension ones or is there quite a lot of comp ones?
Original post by iare teh lejend
you're doomed. I got 720 in da, 680 in ar, 670 in qr but 430 in vr.

Vr is the cancer of all ukcat med/dent applications.

On a serious note, you can't even prepare for ukcat other than do practice papers and then yolo swag 420 blaze the real thing,

looool jesus christ dude what a way to make me feel
Original post by Exx
Hi I've got my ukcat tomorrow and also suck at this VR. In the test this year is it mostly the true/faulse questions with a few of them comprehension ones or is there quite a lot of comp ones?

Theres alot of comp ones thats why im freaking out!
looool jesus christ dude what a way to make me feel

looool some things gotta be said the way they are babes.
Reply 7
What is a good strategy for the VR comprehension questions? :confused::confused:
Original post by RR97
What is a good strategy for the VR comprehension questions? :confused::confused:

Read the answers first and then skim read the text to determine the answer :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by oompa_loompa
Read the answers first and then skim read the text to determine the answer :smile:

Hi! Thanks for replying by the way! :biggrin:

I've tried doing just that but I find that the statements are so long to remember whilst skimming. On top of that, the passage tends to have things all over the place so I miss quite a bit. Shall I try picking up keywords from each statement and then skimming the passage for that?

I hate these comprehensions since it's so difficult to do a set in 2 minutes.

Also, the questions where it asks 'what's the author's tone' and 'what would the author think' are absolutely catastrophic towards my timekeeping considering that I really have to dig into the passage to get a feel of what the author is conveying - what are your thoughts?
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
looool some things gotta be said the way they are babes.

When did you do yours? This summer?
When did you do yours? This summer?

I'm a year 2 dental student.

Hope that answers the question. :smile:
I'm a year 2 dental student.

Hope that answers the question. :smile:

LOL well that was not expected
You still got into dentistry?! How? Was your ukcat average high enough?
LOL well that was not expected
You still got into dentistry?! How? Was your ukcat average high enough?

UKCAT isn't everything you know ? LOOL.

I got 635 average.

I got 635 average.

Aw well congrats im really happy for you! 😊 420 blaze it 😂😂
Aw well congrats im really happy for you! 😊 420 blaze it 😂😂

Thanks girl! Yhh man that's the motive, 420 blaze it! 😂
😂 I suggest you get that book with loads of questions, it'll prepare you well.

I got 635 average.

Is that 420 blaze it offer still available? 😂😂 kiddingg but im ****ting myself for my ukcat now
Is that 420 blaze it offer still available? 😂😂 kiddingg but im ****ting myself for my ukcat now

yeahh it still available, come to my place in plymouth right now for free 420 blazing sessions. i pmed you. Was asleep when u messaged zzz.
yeahh it still available, come to my place in plymouth right now for free 420 blazing sessions. i pmed you. Was asleep when u messaged zzz.

LOL shame on you, what kind of high dentist are you
LOL shame on you, what kind of high dentist are you

LOOOL I don't actually blaze ok. Pffft. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest