The Student Room Group

Can you turn gay?

Scroll to see replies

Sexuality is fluid. I wouldn't call it 'turning gay' though because that suggests that there might be an obvious choice in the matter but no, I fully believe that everyone has a fluid sexuality to a point, some more than others, and some certain situations in life cause us to shift or explore it further. Some people never, ever get put in a situation that shifts their sexuality which is fine but some do.

Being completely turned off women as quickly as it sounds in what you've written though does not sound normal. If it is as sudden as it sounds, have you been taking something along with your weight training or something else that could be ****ing with your libido as a side-effect?
Original post by Rosie786
Thanks.
I don't know. I'm 20 and all these years. I haven't been attracted to a girl romantically or sexually. Even though I might find girls hot. But its different with guys. I am both romantically and sexually attracted to them.

I'm not saying you are definitely going to fancy another girl one day, I'm just saying that, for quite a lot of people, sexuality is fluid and flexible and it is possible that things can change.

I said earlier in the thread, I kind of went the other way. I identified as exclusively lesbian for 6 or 7 years, but my attractions did change.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
OP said can you turn gay, not can you choose to be gay so this logic does not follow.

That's funny. I don't recall stating the word "choose" in my reply.

I was asking the OP for feedback. Not you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hitashami
To my mind. If you can "turn" gay. Then you can "turn" straight. When people say they are gay, it's often very uncivilised if people say something like "why are you gay" or "that's disgusting" and its easy for such minded people to say those things because they think the other person can help it/they deranged their own sexuality.

Therefore if you assume you can turn gay then you can also assume you can turn straight and so all these unfounded criticism I just mentioned would be more widespread and applicable to many people's view on gay people.

let me know what you think of this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to be looking at it in very black and white terms. Its not a case of choice, its not a case of making a concerted effort to "turn" gay or straight, but from my experience, for some people, sexuality isn't set in stone and the way they feel, and who they find attractive can change. It can be fluid.

I really don't think it makes much difference whether people are born gay or not, whether its a choice or not, whether it is something that is a permanent state or whether its fluid and changeable. There is going to be some propaganda on both sides, some people will see the extremes. There are people who insist its a choice and deny the possibility that some people might be born gay, there are some gay people who deny bisexuality or the possibility that sexuality might be fluid for some people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're posting on a public forum, anyone is free to reply to you so please don't be rude.
(edited 9 years ago)

But if they aren't choosing then I don't see how your argument holds any sort of relevance?

& no need to be such a douchebag about it lol.
Reply 25
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I'm not saying you are definitely going to fancy another girl one day, I'm just saying that, for quite a lot of people, sexuality is fluid and flexible and it is possible that things can change.

I said earlier in the thread, I kind of went the other way. I identified as exclusively lesbian for 6 or 7 years, but my attractions did change.

Ohhh. That's cool lol. Well you learn new things everyday. :h:
You seem to be looking at it in very black and white terms. Its not a case of choice, its not a case of making a concerted effort to "turn" gay or straight, but from my experience, for some people, sexuality isn't set in stone and the way they feel, and who they find attractive can change. It can be fluid.

I really don't think it makes much difference whether people are born gay or not, whether its a choice or not, whether it is something that is a permanent state or whether its fluid and changeable. There is going to be some propaganda on both sides, some people will see the extremes. There are people who insist its a choice and deny the possibility that some people might be born gay, there are some gay people who deny bisexuality or the possibility that sexuality might be fluid for some people.

You're posting on a public forum, anyone is free to reply to you so please don't be rude.

Wow. Reading your second paragraph really opened my mind to the issues surrounding sexuality.

oh, and I didn't mean you turn gay using effort. I mean if you do turn gay (as in sexual fluidity) naturally later on in life then some homophobic (actually many of them) people would use that as an example of 'hope' for homosexuals that they too could naturally (or if it is possible naturally then they could induce it/help it by doing certain things) turn straight later on in life if they were born that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow. Reading your second paragraph really opened my mind to the issues surrounding sexuality.

oh, and I didn't mean you turn gay using effort. I mean if you do turn gay (as in sexual fluidity) naturally later on in life then some homophobic (actually many of them) people would use that as an example of 'hope' for homosexuals that they too could naturally (or if it is possible naturally then they could induce it/help it by doing certain things) turn straight later on in life if they were born that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, some people probably would react in that way, but I don't think it would make a massive amount of difference. Luckily, people are slowly becoming more aware and open to more diverse sexuality, but I think there will probably always those who hold the opinion that this is somehow morally wrong, I also think its unlikely that there will be any concrete proof of the cause of different sexualities any time soon. Like I said, I don't think it matters too much, but of course, I could be wrong and I'm sure society and varous communities will deal with it if and when it comes.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
But if they aren't choosing then I don't see how your argument holds any sort of relevance?

& no need to be such a douchebag about it lol.

Well it's not nice being told I misunderstood the OP and my comment is illogical :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't remember if I posted this in the LGBT chat thread, BUT I think judging by that post, you may be interested in doing this;
http://www.youngsouthampton.org/children-and-young-people/advice/relationships/sexuality/klein-sexual-orientation-grid-quiz.aspx
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Can't remember if I posted this in the LGBT chat thread, BUT I think judging by that post, you may be interested in doing this;
http://www.youngsouthampton.org/children-and-young-people/advice/relationships/sexuality/klein-sexual-orientation-grid-quiz.aspx

I appreiciate the thought, and I've done similar things in the past. But I'm not particularly interested at this point in my life. My sexuality doesn't define me so having it analysed is a bit pointless to me. Though having a quick look at the setup this does seem rather flawed, noticably to me in that it assumes an ideal and doesnt account for the possibility that you just might not really care...

A somewhat interesting tool though is suppose
Reply 31

Lol I scored 0.57

Yes. Why yes you can.
Original post by Rosie786
Lol I scored 0.57

Mine is bang on 3. Officially that means I am bi, tbh I knew I was bi, but always believed I was more on the gay side whilst still being open to straight.
Yh I'm a Pakistani lesbian. I met this indian girl at uni an fell in love and I'm look her now
If you fancy guys then I'd say that qualifies as bi or gay.
Original post by Glockenspiel
Yh I'm a Pakistani lesbian. I met this indian girl at uni an fell in love and I'm look her now

What will you tell your parents when they are about to get you married? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 0.6...Interesting!

OP. It does sound more like just a natural lull in your sex drive than being gay. If you're not sexual attracted to males and don't particularly want to have sex with them then you sound pretty straight to me. However as others have mentioned sexuality is very fluid, for example you can be straight and find the same sex attractive, even think about having sex with them but never actually want to make it a reality.
Perhaps. That's how many bi people have described their discovery of their bisexuality to me.

But as someone pointed out, there is some fluidity in sexuality.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes it's scaring me a lot because I don't want to be gay :/

Why? Being gay is fine there is no difference other than the obvious
:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending