The Student Room Group

I'm tazarooni89, and I can't sleep; Ask me anything.

Sorry, I couldn't decide which interesting fact about myself would be best to put in the thread title. Maybe you'll find out some in this thread. Go :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazarooni89
Sorry, I couldn't decide which interesting fact about myself would be best to put in the thread title. Maybe you'll find out some in this thread, while helping me procrastinate revision. Go :smile:

Does disciplining your child by hitting them yield the best results in your opinion? What's the best way to nurture a child?
Original post by Person1001
Does disciplining your child by hitting them yield the best results in your opinion? What's the best way to nurture a child?

I would say not.

In a household, parents are superior to their children, and should be respected and obeyed; but not just because they are physically stronger and can use violence to get their way; that's how a school bully behaves.

The actual reason is because parents are doing their children a very big favour by working so hard to look after them and raise them, and children should be thankful for this. Not only that, but when a parent tells a child to do something or not to do something, it is in the child's own best interests to listen. (This is of course, assuming that you are in fact, this kind of parent).

I think the best way to get a child's respect as well as their obedience is to remind them of these favours (and if necessary, remind them that they could be withdrawn in theory), ensuring that they do not take them for granted.
Sorry, I couldn't decide which interesting fact about myself would be best to put in the thread title. Maybe you'll find out some in this thread, while helping me procrastinate revision. Go :smile:

What qualities would you look for in a possible future wife?

Is your choice of wife limited by race?
What qualities would you look for in a possible future wife?

Is your choice of wife limited by race?

My choice of wife would not be limited by race; however, if she was from a different race or background from myself, I would hope that she would be culturally adaptable enough to be able to fit in amongst my family and friends without sticking out like a sore thumb, just as I would aim to do when I was around her family and friends.

I would also prefer someone who was laid back, easy going, caring and kind, but also intelligent, educated, hard working, and when necessary, competitive. She'd have strong principles and morals, and being good looking wouldn't hurt either!

Not asking for much then :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
I wish I had a normal sleep pattern...

Do you drink any caffeinated beverages including energy drinks? And how often?

What exactly is your sleeping patten like?
Do you drink any caffeinated beverages including energy drinks? And how often?

What exactly is your sleeping patten like?

I don't drink tea or coffee at all, and I have energy drinks very rarely. I do often drink caffeinated soft drinks like Coca-cola, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Irn-Bru etc. and it usually averages about two cans per day. (Maybe that's too much :colondollar:)

When I have work I have to force myself to wake up at 8 am, which means I try to sleep at around midnight. But it usually ends up being later than that. But even if I have just a few days off work, it completely turns upside down. I end up sleeping at sunrise, and then waking up mid-afternoon, or early evening. It just feels a lot more natural for me to be awake at night, and asleep in the morning.
What job do you do?
Original post by IdeasForLife
What job do you do?

I'm a (nearly qualified) actuary, working at a consulting firm :smile:
Nice Lion King gif by the way! lol...
I'm a (nearly qualified) actuary, working at a consulting firm :smile:
Nice Lion King gif by the way! lol...

Thats nice man, will be raking in the $$$ soon!
Where did you learn to debate? You're quite good.

And thanks :biggrin:
Reply 10
No question. Just wanted to say that you're one of the best debaters and IMO the best religious debater I've seen on the board. Hope you post more in the future. :yy:
Reply 11
Someone told me about you and your debating skills :smile: I'll keep an eye out for one of your discussions

As for questions

What uni grade did you get?

What football team do you support?

Do you like curry?

Are you Muslim?

Do you like Roti or Rice?

Congrats on the job btw :smile:
Xotol
No question. Just wanted to say that you're one of the best debaters and IMO the best religious debater I've seen on the board. Hope you post more in the future. :yy:

Original post by IdeasForLife
Where did you learn to debate? You're quite good

Thank you both for saying that, it's very nice of you :colondollar:

As for where I learnt to debate; I've ended up writing an answer which is a bit longer than I expected, so click the spoiler if you're interested :p:

Debating skills have never been something that I've ever actively tried to learn. I've never been in a debating team or club. But because I studied, and was always good at Maths, I suppose I got practice at "proving" things, which requires you to provide step-by-step reasoning for whatever conclusion you're proposing, be able to identify logical fallacies, and ensure that your own argument is free from them. I think the same kinds of skills translate over into debating quite naturally.

The other thing is that, in Maths, you're always told to show your working first, and that it is more important than the answer you get. If you're in the mindset of first making sure you follow a valid process of working, you'll inevitably get to the right answer. What you can't do is first just have a guess at what you think the answer might be, and then try and fudge the working to make it look like you're right, because you probably won't be, and the error you've tried to hide will resurface eventually.

Being on a debating team or part of a debating club is hard, because you're usually told from beforehand which side's "answer" you have to argue for, with no choice in the matter. And then you have to think of reasons to support it, even if you don't genuinely agree with that side. You end up using arguments which you know are faulty, but having to eloquently hide those faults when someone else is trying to uncover them, which is a difficult skill. Politicians do it all the time, but it's not something I've ever been good at. Most of us aren't.

In real life debates, I think people often put themselves in this difficult position too, because their conclusions are sort of decided for them before they've even begun. Some people may (perhaps unconsciously) feel compelled to argue in favour of something because their religion dictates it, or because it's society's fashionable opinion at the time, or just due to gut instinct. But if they haven't gone through the working and thought from beforehand, it can be a challenging, or even impossible task to come up with a valid argument to justify it. They might, in their heart of hearts know that they're having to force the logic to fit their conclusion, even though they don't match. But like trying to force an oversized carpet to fit the floor of a small room, a kink will always pop up somewhere. And when you try to smooth it out, it will pop up somewhere else.

I find that debating is a lot easier if you make sure you do everything in the right order. Do the thinking and reasoning first, and leave the conclusion to the end. And if you find that you have made a mistake in your reasoning, have no qualms in re-thinking and potentially changing your mind. That way, you can be really honest with yourself about what your beliefs are, and why you hold them. Then arguing in favour of your point is easy. You just explain what your reasoning was, without worrying about whether it genuinely leads to the conclusion you want, or hiding the kinks to force it to do so, since you have no "preference" for any answer other than the correct one. This is the way Mathematicians are trained to go about things, so I try to do that too :smile:

ps. I do realise this post is far too long. Sorry about that :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kutta
Someone told me about you and your debating skills :smile: I'll keep an eye out for one of your discussions

As for questions

What uni grade did you get?

I got a first :smile:

What football team do you support?

I support Barcelona. Not because I'm a glory hunter (they didn't get much glory last season!). I watch Barcelona because I like watching Messi. I think he deserves to do well, and admire that he, along with many other players there, have such professionalism and humility.

Do you like curry?

Sometimes. I like having it from Indian or Pakistani restaurants, but to be honest I don't like homemade curries that much.

Are you Muslim?

Yes :smile:

Do you like Roti or Rice?

I like both. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Roti, since I often find small things in rice that I don't like e.g. those little bean things which are supposed to make it smell nice.

Congrats on the job btw :smile:

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xotol

This :yep:

I don't post in the debating forums (I tend to just lurk) but I always really enjoy reading your posts, they all raise very interesting points. :smile:

My question...what uni did you study at? :smile:

x
Original post by usycool1
This :yep:

I don't post in the debating forums (I tend to just lurk) but I always really enjoy reading your posts, they all raise very interesting points. :smile:

Thank you!

My question...what uni did you study at? :smile:

I studied Maths at UCL :smile:
Sorry, I couldn't decide which interesting fact about myself would be best to put in the thread title. Maybe you'll find out some in this thread. Go :smile:

Are you as handsome as you are smart? :wink:
Reply 17
My choice of wife would not be limited by race; however, if she was from a different race or background from myself, I would hope that she would be culturally adaptable enough to be able to fit in amongst my family and friends without sticking out like a sore thumb, just as I would aim to do when I was around her family and friends.

I would also prefer someone who was laid back, easy going, caring and kind, but also intelligent, educated, hard working, and when necessary, competitive. She'd have strong principles and morals, and being good looking wouldn't hurt either!

Not asking for much then :p:

Define 'sticking out like a sore thumb' and your opinion of good looking is what? xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T1gga92
Define 'sticking out like a sore thumb'

Being unable to gauge what is considered appropriate or inappropriate in that household or culture, not making an effort to get to know anyone well or participate in discussions and remaining an "outsider/stranger", being unwilling to try new things or do things in a way you're not used to etc.

I once went to a small family gathering at a house I had never been to before. There were two elderly parents with some children, and one of their daughters was married to a man. However, that man was so adaptable, fit in so well and seemed so at-home with the family that, for a long time, I thought that he was the son of the household, and that his wife was the daughter-in-law, rather than the other way round. I think that's a very useful kind of thing for spouses to be able to do.

and your opinion of good looking is what? xx

Average height, build and facial features, medium-long, straight-ish hair, healthy looking skin with a consistent skin tone, and good dress sense.
Reply 19
Being unable to gauge what is considered appropriate or inappropriate in that household or culture, not making an effort to get to know anyone well or participate in discussions and remaining an "outsider/stranger", being unwilling to try new things or do things in a way you're not used to etc.

I once went to a small family gathering at a house I had never been to before. There were two elderly parents with some children, and one of their daughters was married to a man. However, that man was so adaptable, fit in so well and seemed so at-home with the family that, for a long time, I thought that he was the son of the household, and that his wife was the daughter-in-law, rather than the other way round. I think that's a very useful kind of thing for spouses to be able to do.

Well I am a white western woman and I agree with this appropriate/inappropriate behaviour but for example if I came to your house as a Muslim man I would be respectful of your culture to the best of my ability. I don't fully understand the way you do things and would feel slightly an 'outsider' because of this. Also, for example, if a non Muslim woman married a Muslim man would I be expected to conform with Muslim behaviours (fasting, hijab, halal meat etc)?

Average height, build and facial features, medium-long, straight-ish hair, healthy looking skin with a consistent skin tone, and good dress sense.

So would I be considered attractive as a white woman? I'm 5"4 I'd say average build, medium brown curly/straight hair, normal dress sense and healthy looking skin (except around menstration when I tend to get slight acne).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest