The Student Room Group

Any one resitting A2 Modules?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misteltain
Hey guys. I'm having a bit of trouble when it comes to note taking, something I've always struggled with due to perfectionism and being overwhelmed by a lot of content vs. very little time. I'm currently trudging through my chemistry textbook and worrying because it's already the end of Feb! Exams start in 3 months for me.

My question is when do you think is a good time to finish your notes for your subjects? I'm only making them for bio and chem as those are the two grades I need to improve (3 chem 2 bio exams) so it's manageable I should think. I plan to do past papers afterwards and go through a couple other short revision guides. But please do give me any tips you have on making notes and managing time. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've given up on the note taking as it's too time consuming... I'm just doing past papers even when I don't know the answers, because then I see what the mark scheme requires and just memorise it/ repeat the question again and again until I've memorised the answer. I find that more effective than just reading the textbook, although I do make brief notes to understand a particular answer in the mark scheme. I'm doing Bio and Chem too :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by coolerthanbeans
I've given up on the note taking as it's too time consuming... I'm just doing past papers even when I don't know the answers, because then I see what the mark scheme requires and just memorise it/ repeat the question again and again until I've memorised the answer. I find that more effective than just reading the textbook, although I do make brief notes to understand a particular answer in the mark scheme. I'm doing Bio and Chem too :smile:

This. i feel like last year i neglected the past paper side of things and so i knew the knowledge but not neccessarily how the examiner wanted to see it. i guess they want a certain structure, so what i am doing is using my unit revision guides to answer past paper questions but also looking at the mark schemes afterwards. i have started to spot patterns and common denominators and now see that there is a structure which will net me a minimum amount of marks. hopefully this year will be better
Original post by neal95
This. i feel like last year i neglected the past paper side of things and so i knew the knowledge but not neccessarily how the examiner wanted to see it. i guess they want a certain structure, so what i am doing is using my unit revision guides to answer past paper questions but also looking at the mark schemes afterwards. i have started to spot patterns and common denominators and now see that there is a structure which will net me a minimum amount of marks. hopefully this year will be better
same, last year I had the knowledge but not the technique so I am doing same as you. So revising and doing past papers at the same time and looking at mark schemes and examiners reports. same i hoping this year will be better too :smile:
Hi Guys!
I have made a facebook group for all the hull 2015-2016 firmers and freshers. It is run by me and I want a few admins to help me run it! It is run by REAL people who ARE going to Hull University in September 2015! So if you want the latest news, nights out, get to know people and feel comfortable before you go to university, why not join the group!
Here's the link:
www.facebook.com/groups/800830706619343/
Good luck everyone, see you in the group!
Original post by Lost_hope
same, last year I had the knowledge but not the technique so I am doing same as you. So revising and doing past papers at the same time and looking at mark schemes and examiners reports. same i hoping this year will be better too :smile:

Sorry for the late reply! It definitely seems to be helping me so far, I now think that because of this I should be able to go up a minimum of one grade per subject (bcc to abb) at a minimum (hoping) haha but want as high as possible really
Original post by neal95
Sorry for the late reply! It definitely seems to be helping me so far, I now think that because of this I should be able to go up a minimum of one grade per subject (bcc to abb) at a minimum (hoping) haha but want as high as possible really
yh same, exam technique makes a huge difference
yh same, exam technique makes a huge difference

It does! Have you made any decisions about your firm and insurance choices?
Original post by neal95
It does! Have you made any decisions about your firm and insurance choices?

nope not yet, wbu? and how is revision going?
Original post by coolerthanbeans

Same here I realised I was literally just rewriting the whole thing anyway (save for a few sentences here and there) so I found it better to just study from the textbook and focus on past papers (also bio and chem here :smile:).
nope not yet, wbu? and how is revision going?

Yeah I've firmed Birmingham and insured Sheffield :smile: it's going quite well, gonna do another past paper in a min might aswell lol
Original post by TheStoryteller
Same here I realised I was literally just rewriting the whole thing anyway (save for a few sentences here and there) so I found it better to just study from the textbook and focus on past papers (also bio and chem here :smile:).

the thing is with essay subjects like sociology and politics it requires so much knowledge..note taking is needed?
Original post by xxvine
the thing is with essay subjects like sociology and politics it requires so much knowledge..note taking is needed?

I think it depends on the person's revision methods; I used to write down all my notes in class (some were dictated) so when it came to studying I always found my notes ready so I never really found it necessary to make my own notes again. But my friend does and he studies better like that so yeah, it all depends on the person :redface:
Original post by neal95
Yeah I've firmed Birmingham and insured Sheffield :smile: it's going quite well, gonna do another past paper in a min might aswell lol
oh congratz they r brilliant uni's :biggrin:
oh congratz they r brilliant uni's :biggrin:

Thanks so much it is nice of you to say that and it was kind of an easy decision to make as I was rejected from Manchester and Leicester and I guess Birmingham was always gonna be my first choice along with Sheffield being equally good for the course and so my second choice due to logistics issues .
Hi guys!
I'm starting my past papers and I'm not really sure I trust myself marking my own essays - my question is what are your methods self-marking and how do you answer questions by the mark schemes etc? Are any of you hiring tutors to mark your past papers or essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Hi guys!
I'm starting my past papers and I'm not really sure I trust myself marking my own essays - my question is what are your methods self-marking and how do you answer questions by the mark schemes etc? Are any of you hiring tutors to mark your past papers or essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about emailing your practice essays to a previous teacher in that subject to see what they think? It would be cheaper than hiring a tutor :wink:
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Hi guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi, I hired tutor to mark my essays but you can email your old teachers to see if they will mark it
hi, I hired tutor to mark my essays but you can email your old teachers to see if they will mark it

hows revision going

mine is going awful and less than two months left:frown:
Original post by xxvine
hows revision going

mine is going awful and less than two months left:frown:

When do your exams start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest