The Student Room Group

Any English students to help me with my English?

I don't know what has happened over the past couple of years but my English skills seem to have washed down the drain as I went to college and now on to University. It seems a petty thing to be bothered about but I find that when I speak the syntax sometimes gets jumbled and the right word often doesn't manifest itself in my brain. It's irritating beyond belief as I used to be eloquent and this has never been a problem before. I think it is probably be due to the fact that I have not studied English for ages (I study medicine and studied sciences at college) and as a result, my grammar and everything else with it is slowly falling apart. It doesn't help that my university's grammar is appalling. I don't want this to continue and it's irritating me beyond belief.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get back on track with it all? It can get extremely embarrassing in conversations and I need to be able to speak smoothly in the future for my career as a doctor. No flames please...
Original post by xxSherlockxx
I don't know what has happened over the past couple of years but my English skills seem to have washed down the drain as I went to college and now on to University. It seems a petty thing to be bothered about but I find that when I speak the syntax sometimes gets jumbled and the right word often doesn't manifest itself in my brain. It's irritating beyond belief as I used to be eloquent and this has never been a problem before. I think it is probably be due to the fact that I have not studied English for ages (I study medicine and studied sciences at college) and as a result, my grammar and everything else with it is slowly falling apart. It doesn't help that my university's grammar is appalling. I don't want this to continue and it's irritating me beyond belief.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get back on track with it all? It can get extremely embarrassing in conversations and I need to be able to speak smoothly in the future for my career as a doctor. No flames please...

Hey, I'm guessing English is your second language...? (I couldn't tell from your written English, as it's spot on!)

Where are you at university? Are you in the UK?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey, I'm guessing English is your second language...? (I couldn't tell from your written English, as it's spot on!)

Frustratingly English isn't my second language. I probably wouldn't be so annoyed with myself if it was...I'm studying in London and have spoken/read/listened to English all my life. When I was at school I was always in the top set for English and there was never any trouble finding the correct word to use. It's only something that's happened recently and the only change I can pinpoint is that I have stopped studying the language and have moved to a uni where their standards of English (even in the lecture slides) are shockingly appalling. I just can't figure out how to revert back to how I was before...do I need to read more or write more...?

I'm also starting university and I'm going to law school eeeek! I'm generally really fascinated by the law that takes place in our everyday life, but also have an issue with my comma usage. My grammar was fine until I studied BTEC Business Studies at 6th form, and from then onwards my grammar stinks. Mostly, commas are what I'm concerned about. This is actually breaking my heart; I love the thought of going to law school, but I have lost all my confidants in comma usage. I get anxiety too, so that makes things ten times worse. Help me please; I have researched all rules regarding commas, yet I feel stupid and go blank when wanting to use one.

when using a subordinate clause at the start of a sentence, I am quite aware that I will need a comma.

When an independant clause started and a subordinate clause follows the commas is not necessary, but sometimes I feel the need to add a comma in this instants.
(edited 9 years ago)
Frustratingly English isn't my second language. I probably wouldn't be so annoyed with myself if it was...I'm studying in London and have spoken/read/listened to English all my life. When I was at school I was always in the top set for English and there was never any trouble finding the correct word to use. It's only something that's happened recently and the only change I can pinpoint is that I have stopped studying the language and have moved to a uni where their standards of English (even in the lecture slides) are shockingly appalling. I just can't figure out how to revert back to how I was before...do I need to read more or write more...?

:lol: Well, the best thing you can do is practise, practise practise! Maybe even in front of a mirror? Read out loud? Record yourself?

Reading is an excellent way to improve your vocabulary :smile: Writing is also super useful. :yy: Just post more on TSR, eh? :wink: Actually I always find doing crosswords is a great way to improve my vocab, it helps a lot with learning new words and remembering nuances between words. :smile:

What do you mean by finding the correct word...? :smile: What syntax errors are you having..? :smile:

Original post by Highfiveyou
I'm also starting university and I'm going to law school eeeek! I'm generally really fascinated by the law that takes place in our everyday life, but also have an issue with my comma usage. My grammar was fine until I studied BTEC Business Studies at 6th form, and from then onwards my grammar stinks. Mostly, commas are what I'm concerned about. This is actually breaking my heart; I love the thought of going to law school, but I have lost all my confidants in comma usage. I get anxiety too, so that makes things ten times worse. Help me please; I have researched all rules regarding commas, yet I feel stupid and go blank when wanting to use one.

when using a subordinate clause at the start of a sentence, I am quite aware that I will need a comma.

When an independant clause started and a subordinate clause follows the commas is not necessary, but sometimes I feel the need to add a comma in this instants.

Your comma usage seems great to me. :smile: I think there's even a correct usage of the demon semi-colon in there! :smile: I really wouldn't worry too much about this, to be honest. :smile: Your grammar is fine for Law school, and I'm sure that you will improve more as you study! :smile:
:lol: Well, the best thing you can do is practise, practise practise! Maybe even in front of a mirror? Read out loud? Record yourself?

Reading is an excellent way to improve your vocabulary :smile: Writing is also super useful. :yy: Just post more on TSR, eh? :wink: Actually I always find doing crosswords is a great way to improve my vocab, it helps a lot with learning new words and remembering nuances between words. :smile:

What do you mean by finding the correct word...? :smile: What syntax errors are you having..? :smile:

Your comma usage seems great to me. :smile: I think there's even a correct usage of the demon semi-colon in there! :smile: I really wouldn't worry too much about this, to be honest. :smile: Your grammar is fine for Law school, and I'm sure that you will improve more as you study! :smile:

Thanks you have made me feel a tad bit better about myself! Thumbs up to you!!

Do you use a comma when a subordinate clause follows the independent clause. Some say you can and some say you can't! So irritating....

It's hard to explain but when I describe something the correct adjective doesn't appear in my brain and the sentence trails off. I know what I want to say but the sentence never gets finished. I could be describing a person, or trying to describe his personality and I could say "He's just so... (right word never comes)...anyway" and then just ignore the gap and continue the conversation. It's annoying me terribly but I'm not sure what to do about it...

I'm not sure whether the syntax errors are always the same but I do often say something and then stop and think "Well that wasn't the right order". I'm aware that it's wrong and I know exactly why it's wrong, the problem is not to do it in the first place...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending