The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds '14 Accounting and Finance

Hey guys !

I haven't seen a thread for this course so thought I would start one as I was too impatient to wait for someone else to lol. If there us one already open please someone send me the link and shut this down (?)

I just thought this could be our general chat area to help each other out and just...chat?

I'll start off - does anyone have any idea how the discovery modules work??

GMS x
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone ?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by givemestrength
Anyone ?

going into 2nd year A&F, i've never heard of a 'discovery module'
Hey guys !

I haven't seen a thread for this course so thought I would start one as I was too impatient to wait for someone else to lol. If there us one already open please someone send me the link and shut this down (?)

I just thought this could be our general chat area to help each other out and just...chat?

I'll start off - does anyone have any idea how the discovery modules work??

GMS x

I emailed the uni regarding discovery modules (basically a new word for electives), they said you can enrol onto any module as your discovery module, it doesn't have to be a module from the business school! It's only 20 credits so I guess it's just an opportunity to study something else if you have further interests in different departments/parent schools, although I chose 2 from the business school :colondollar:

Also you have to check your timetable with the module timetables to make sure there's no clashes, and enrol soon otherwise the courses will be full!
Still deciding on what modules I want to take as discovery modules... >.< A few are already full and I'm getting anxious...Any advice on how to make it easier to choose? lol
Original post by roselle.orleans
Still deciding on what modules I want to take as discovery modules... >.< A few are already full and I'm getting anxious...Any advice on how to make it easier to choose? lol

I just looked at the content, and if I'm interested then consider it, check if it fits in with your timetable, and also look at the assessment method.. I chose some with group projects and one without an exam because the compulsory modules all have exams :colondollar:
Aah thankyou so much !! So only need to take 20 credits worth? I'll probably do a history or French.
Original post by tomj2all
going into 2nd year A&F, i've never heard of a 'discovery module'

Do you have any wisdom to pass down about the course ? 😊
Reply 8
Do you have any wisdom to pass down about the course ?

First of all I thnink you guys are talking about Elective modules? I have no idea why you're referring to them as 'discovery modules'

Some insight into the course (if it stays the same):

The maths module is ridiculously easy in semester 1 (like seriously) - and the exam is even easier
however in semester 2 they teach stats and that does get harder

Economics most people found hard and confusing but the exam is multi choice and is quite easy

Finance is also quite hard but everyone likes the lecturer

Accounting is probably the hardest

Overall there is probably no need to attend most lectures in the first year as you can just read through the powerpoint online and no one will know although its a bad habbit to get into

NOTE: If I was to restart my first year I would not buy ANY of the books for ANY module because they're expensive and I never even used them (nor did anyone else tbh). but you could buy them to be safe and then just sell them onto first years in a years time
I would take advantage of draft deadlines more
I would do more of the seminar work as a lot of it does come up in the exams
DO NOT JOIN FABSOC - TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY

apologies if i make the course sound pointless but this is the honest truth, afterall it is only the first year
Original post by tomj2all
First of all I thnink you guys are talking about Elective modules? I have no idea why you're referring to them as 'discovery modules'

Some insight into the course (if it stays the same):

The maths module is ridiculously easy in semester 1 (like seriously) - and the exam is even easier
however in semester 2 they teach stats and that does get harder

Economics most people found hard and confusing but the exam is multi choice and is quite easy

Finance is also quite hard but everyone likes the lecturer

Accounting is probably the hardest

Overall there is probably no need to attend most lectures in the first year as you can just read through the powerpoint online and no one will know although its a bad habbit to get into

NOTE: If I was to restart my first year I would not buy ANY of the books for ANY module because they're expensive and I never even used them (nor did anyone else tbh). but you could buy them to be safe and then just sell them onto first years in a years time
I would take advantage of draft deadlines more
I would do more of the seminar work as a lot of it does come up in the exams
DO NOT JOIN FABSOC - TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY

apologies if i make the course sound pointless but this is the honest truth, afterall it is only the first year

Thanks a lot for all that ! :smile: Wish I'd read it before I spent £45 buying a text book :/ ...Goodluck with your next year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest