The Student Room Group

can't boot from USB device.

KB I've got Kapersky rescue disk 10 on my USB stick and i've managed to get it to work on on PCs at work.

I'm trying it on my laptop at home and I can't select to boot from USB. If i change the boot priority to USB it boots straight to windows. If I bring up the boot menu to select as a one off all i get is the windows boot manager as an option. I've tried disabling secure boot but that didn't do anything. I don't want to change too much in the BIOS screen because i'm still a bit of a novice.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't choose to boot from USB.

I'm using a Packard Bell EasyNote TE69KB - windows 8.
Original post by blue n white army
KB I've got Kapersky rescue disk 10 on my USB stick and i've managed to get it to work on on PCs at work.

I'm trying it on my laptop at home and I can't select to boot from USB. If i change the boot priority to USB it boots straight to windows. If I bring up the boot menu to select as a one off all i get is the windows boot manager as an option. I've tried disabling secure boot but that didn't do anything. I don't want to change too much in the BIOS screen because i'm still a bit of a novice.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't choose to boot from USB.

I'm using a Packard Bell EasyNote TE69KB - windows 8.

Find the option that lets you reset your BIOS to default settings, then go have a play! :yep:

Is there only one type of USB device in the BIOS option? On my PC I can select USB or USB UEFI. The latter doesn't seem to work for most USB bootable disks.
On Windows 8 you'll have to disable UEFI to boot from anything other than the primary disk. It's a pain, but as always it's convenience vs security, and security won.
Not all motherboards enable you to boot from USB, just bare that in mind.
Reply 4
Solution as follows:1 After turning on (with USB boot disk inserted) tap del key until entering setup appears2.Turn of secure boot3. Change hard disk priority so that USB is selected4. Press f10 to save
Reply 5
I had this issue, I disabled UEFI I'm pretty sure and just kept messing around with it until kali would boot.
Original post by PCDRDAve
Solution as follows:1 After turning on (with USB boot disk inserted) tap del key until entering setup appears2.Turn of secure boot3. Change hard disk priority so that USB is selected4. Press f10 to save

Hi there,

As pointed out above, this thread is from 2014. Please check thread dates in future.

Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending