The Student Room Group

Government and Politics required textbooks?

I'm self-studying Government and Politics A-Level in a year. My plan is to complete half the AS, then do the A2 and finally return to the second part of the AS. I'm also doing A2 Philosophy, so I reckon this year will be a challenge, so I want to be as organised as possible. Last year, when studying AS Philosophy, I didn't find out about the Lacewing textbooks (which were 100% better than the AQA 'recommend' textbook) and had to spend half of what should have been revision time getting to grips with some of the more complicated ideas when I should have just been revising. Anyway, I'm taking the following modules: Unit 1: People and Politics, Unit 2: Governing the UK; Unit 3 is Representative process in the USA and Unit 4 Governing the US.

The only prescribed textbooks as far as I know are:

Edexcel Government and Politics for AS by Neil McNaughton (covers Unit 1 and 2)
American Politics and Society by David McKay

The latter has some less-than-glowing reviews. Basically, just wondering if there are any textbooks for AS and A2 that Politics students would recommend as superior to the prescribed ones - or as supplementary readings that may help. I'm keen to only stick to around two reading sources for AS and A2 - I don't want to end up drowning in information. But equally I'd like to do my reading as I go along this time, rather than as last-minute stressful cramming.

So, if you have any recommendations for either of the courses please let me know. Would be very grateful as it's sometimes hard to know where to start when self-teaching!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by The Nightingale
I'm self-studying Government and Politics A-Level in a year. My plan is to complete half the AS, then do the A2 and finally return to the second part of the AS. I'm also doing A2 Philosophy, so I reckon this year will be a challenge, so I want to be as organised as possible. Last year, when studying AS Philosophy, I didn't find out about the Lacewing textbooks (which were 100% better than the AQA 'recommend' textbook) and had to spend half of what should have been revision time getting to grips with some of the more complicated ideas when I should have just been revising. Anyway, I'm taking the following modules: Unit 1: People and Politics, Unit 2: Governing the UK; Unit 3 is Representative process in the USA and Unit 4 Governing the US.

The only prescribed textbooks as far as I know are:

Edexcel Government and Politics for AS by Neil McNaughton (covers Unit 1 and 2)
American Politics and Society by David McKay

The latter has some less-than-glowing reviews. Basically, just wondering if there are any textbooks for AS and A2 that Politics students would recommend as superior to the prescribed ones - or as supplementary readings that may help. I'm keen to only stick to around two reading sources for AS and A2 - I don't want to end up drowning in information. But equally I'd like to do my reading as I go along this time, rather than as last-minute stressful cramming.

So, if you have any recommendations for either of the courses please let me know. Would be very grateful as it's sometimes hard to know where to start when self-teaching!

Well of you're from South East London I'm selling two Phillip Allan books for US government and politics, which were very helpful to me. Also it's cheap!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending