The Student Room Group

small question regarding integrals

Through the integration process I am going over on a worksheet, in the integral of

cos(x)(2+sinx)\dfrac {cos(x)}{\sqrt{(2+sinx)}}
I'm told that cosx is not part of the integrand because it is the derivative of 2+sinx, may I ask why this would be the case?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kolasinac138
Through the integration process I am going over on a worksheet, in the integral of

I'm told that cosx is not part of the integrand because it is the derivative of 2+sinx, may I ask why this would be the case?

There's a rule:

f(x)f(x)dx=lnf(x)+c\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx= ln|f(x)| + c

Do you think you'll be able to do it now - or rather get why this would be the case?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kingaaran
There's a rule:

f(x)f(x)dx=lnf(x)+c\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx= ln|f(x)| + c

Do you think you'll be able to do it now - or rather get why this would be the case?

Well the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x or 2/2x or etc etc, but I don't understand how that helps here.
Well the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x or 2/2x or etc etc, but I don't understand how that helps here.

The way I've been taught is that if you have a function, say 2xx2 \frac{2x}{x^2} and you integrated it with respect to x, you can use that formula, since the derivative of the denominator is equal to the numerator. But also, if let's say we had 4xx2 \frac{4x}{x^2} and integrated that, I could still use that principle, but all I would do is have two lots of 2lnx2+c 2ln |x^2| +c , because the numerator is two lots of the derivative of the denominator. Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way I've been taught is that if you have a function, say 2xx2 \frac{2x}{x^2} and you integrated it with respect to x, you can use that formula, since the derivative of the denominator is equal to the numerator. But also, if let's say we had 4xx2 \frac{4x}{x^2} and integrated that, I could still use that principle, but all I would do is have two lots of 2lnx2+c 2ln |x^2| +c , because the numerator is two lots of the derivative of the denominator. Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I mean, the answer here is 22+sin(x)\sqrt{2+sin(x)} or something similar and the main point is that cos(x) isn't in the integrand but still not sure why.

I mean, I understand integration by substitution but this is meant to be done without that knowledge.
u=sin(x)u=sin (x)
dudx=cos(x)\frac{du}{dx}=cos(x)
dx=dx=ducos(x)\frac {du}{cos(x)}
cos(x)(1+sin(x))\int \frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt(1+sin(x))}ducos(x)\frac {du}{cos(x)}
so cos (x) cancels out
1(1+u)\int \frac{1}{\sqrt(1+u)}

this is sort of the proof of the rule that kingaaran said :smile:
when you have derivative of denominator in numerator substitution always works like this
though in this case needs a little bit to be played around with
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, I mean, the answer here is 22+sin(x)\sqrt{2+sin(x)} or something similar and the main point is that cos(x) isn't in the integrand but still not sure why.

I mean, I understand integration by substitution but this is meant to be done without that knowledge.

Oh, I overlooked the square root sign in your first post - I was just referring to if you had cos(x)/(2+sin(x). With this one, it might have something to do with the cos(x) cancelling out when you use the integration by substation formula, but if not, I'm not really too sure :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh, I overlooked the square root sign in your first post - I was just referring to if you had cos(x)/(2+sin(x). With this one, it might have something to do with the cos(x) cancelling out when you use the integration by substation formula, but if not, I'm not really too sure :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I'm not too sure either.

Stating that cos(x) is the derivative of 2+sin(x) therefore meaning cos(x) is excluded from the integrand doesn't make a whole load of sense to me.

A derivative multiplied by the integral of that derivative is ... :biggrin:

What you have written above doesn't make much sense as the cosx\cos x certainly is part of the integrand, since its value depends on the variable of integration. (it's not a constant that can be taken outside).

However, the observation essentially indicates the correct substitution to make: u=2+sinxu = 2+\sin x .

You do not seem to understand what Integrand means - it is the function to be integrated - so Cos(x) is certainly part of the integrand

This is an inverse chain rule question

Consider what happens when you differentiate 2+sinx\sqrt{2+\sin x}
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TenOfThem
You do not seem to understand what Integrand means - it is the function to be integrated - so Cos(x) is certainly part of the integrand

As has been explained this question uses f(x)f(x)dx=lnf(x)+c\displaystyle \int \dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx = ln|f(x)| + c

In your case - if you differentiate the denominator of your integrand you get a multiple of the numerators you have an integral of this format

But the integrand isn't of this form, due to the square root.
Original post by atsruser
But the integrand isn't of this form, due to the square root.

corrected :biggrin:
Reply 12

Either you, or the person who's advising you, seems to be confused about terminology.

As TenOfThem has pointed out, integrand just means "the thing what you are integrating" so it definitely includes the cos x.

There is an obvious substitution that will sort out this integral for you (and once you've done a few similar ones you can probably spot the answer by recognition).
This is the fype of integral you can do easily by inspection once you spot it-
just consider the derivative of 2f(x) 2\sqrt{f(x)}
Original post by atsruser
What you have written above doesn't make much sense as the cosx\cos x certainly is part of the integrand, since its value depends on the variable of integration. (it's not a constant that can be taken outside).

However, the observation essentially indicates the correct substitution to make: u=2+sinxu = 2+\sin x .

:smile: That is what I thought, personally, so was a little confused.

I suppose it's of the form g(x)f(g(x))g'(x)f(g(x))

Although I'm supposed to be able to do this without knowledge of integration by substitution.

Given the derivative of 2+sin(x)\sqrt{2+sin(x)}
would be

cosx22+sinx\dfrac{cosx}{2\sqrt{2+sinx}} but I still don't see how it's relevant.
(edited 9 years ago)

Given the derivative of 2+sin(x)\sqrt{2+sin(x)}
would be

cosx22+sinx\dfrac{cosx}{2\sqrt{2+sinx}} but I still don't see how it's relevant.

You cannot see that it looks JUST LIKE your question apart from a factor of 2?
You cannot see that it looks JUST LIKE your question apart from a factor of 2?

No, I do understand that :biggrin: and therefore the integral is 22+sinx2\sqrt{2+sinx}+c but still, just from basics I didn't understand why cosX was excluded.

I didn't understand why cosX was excluded.

excluded from what?
excluded from what?

Well, from the workbook I'm using it says 'cos(x)' is not included in the main function of the integrand, anywhom, I suppose you could say this is in the form

f'(x)f(g(x)) right?
This question has been complicated far too much; using a substitution of u=2+sinxu = 2 + \sin x will get you the answer pretty easily.

I don't understand what you mean when you say cosx\cos x is not part of the integrand, you're integrating that whole function so it is.

Quick Reply

Latest