The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

I want to apply for a joint honours of Scandinavian Studies and English Literature at Edinburgh. However, as you can only write one personal statement to several universities (and Edinburgh are the only ones who do this course) I am stuck as to how to write it. I've been told you should make your statement subject specific but I can't due to this problem. I also have the additional issue of having to include both my interest in cultural studies and literature in the alloted 4,000 character limit.
If there are any current undergrads who've had a similar (or maybe the exact same) problem, please help! I'm completely stumped.
I've even emailed someone at Edinburgh about this issue. I hope it will help but they haven't got back to me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carenza
I want to apply for a joint honours of Scandinavian Studies and English Literature at Edinburgh. However, as you can only write one personal statement to several universities (and Edinburgh are the only ones who do this course) I am stuck as to how to write it. I've been told you should make your statement subject specific but I can't due to this problem. I also have the additional issue of having to include both my interest in cultural studies and literature in the alloted 4,000 character limit.
If there are any current undergrads who've had a similar (or maybe the exact same) problem, please help! I'm completely stumped.
I've even emailed someone at Edinburgh about this issue. I hope it will help but they haven't got back to me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If Edinburgh are the ONLY place offering the course then write your PS for the course you're applying for elsewhere.

THEN once you've submitted your application write to ed and explain that because of the uniqueness of the course you didn't address your interest in subject xxxx in your PS and make the letter a short PS about that subject.
Reply 2
Thank you, I hope this works! It sounds like a good idea anyway. I've emailed them with my problem but I will send them a letter too.
UCL does this course as well.

Quick Reply

Latest