The Student Room Group

The DSA bullying thread

It's come to my attention that a lot of you think you don't 'deserve' dsa, or don't 'need' it!

Well, this thread is to bully you into taking affirmative action.

Why you SHOULD apply for DSA!

DSA will help you in two main ways (for MH difficulties):

The first is equipment, you may get an audio notetaker and dictaphone so you can record your lectures and focus on them, whilst not having to take notes
The second is a non medical helper, which will help you a few hours a week to cope with uni.

What's the process like? Is it stressful?

No, it's pretty straightforwards. Initially you should contact your uni disability services, and ask them if you can get a ed psych assessment. Additionally a doctors letter confirming depression/ed/anxiety etc can help.

After you contact the uni they should help you fill in the DSA application form, which will then go off to student finance.

You'll then receive a letter asking you to go for a needs assessment. Don't worry, it's not an inquisition! It's just an informal chat to discuss the support you might need.

They'll then recommend your support and SF will send you an entitlement letter.

You'll get the equipment through a supplier, and the Uni will arrange your non medical help.

Why is it critical to do this NOW?

After this year, the DSA funding changes, and is being reduced massively. So you need to get the ball rolling now, and get the support in place for the beginning of the year.

flyyoufools
x

Think you did get it done, but making sure? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep, had my assessment yesterday! TO ANYONE WORRYING ABOUT THAT: it was chilled out, informal and really helpful for me. The guy himself was dyslexic so completely understood 'not always visible illnesses/disabilities' and didn't make me feel stupid or anything which I was a little worried about. The stuff they had on offer were really useful too, I'm probably getting a taxi allowance, printing allowance, informal drop-in academic help/proof-reader and extra time/breaks in exams then if I find the lectures difficult once I get there I can get a recording thing to take in with me :smile:

Quick Reply