The Student Room Group

Bad A-levels, which Unis can I get to with these grades?

So, I expected a CCCC on my a and AS levels, but at results day, I acheived a C in AS applied business, D in A2 maths, D in AS computing, D in A2 ICT. I've only applied to universities that accepts C's, but unfortunately I am not able to make it and I need change of plans. What is the best university that I can get to with this grade? I am looking to do course on Computer Science or Information System/technology. I am hoping to go to Canada/NZ/AUS/USA. Thank you for reading and helping in advance !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.zaky
So, I expected a CCCC on my a and AS levels, but at results day, I acheived a C in AS applied business, D in A2 maths, D in AS computing, D in A2 ICT. I've only applied to universities that accepts C's, but unfortunately I am not able to make it and I need change of plans. What is the best university that I can get to with this grade? I am looking to do course on Computer Science or Information System/technology. I am hoping to go to Canada/NZ/AUS/USA. Thank you for reading and helping in advance !

You might want to question whether uni is for you - do you really want to get into debt for so much money

However there are still loads of unis in clearing in the UK

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=computer+science&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=&SubjectCode=
Hi im from new zealand. is d considered a fail? because you need to get achieved/pass at a absolute minimum for university in NZ.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dooglebirden
Hi im from new zealand. is d considered a fail? because you need to get achieved/pass at a absolute minimum for university in NZ.

No

E and above are passes
Original post by TenOfThem
No

E and above are passes

You could probably get into some NZ unis e.g waikato but to make a competitive application d's are probably not good enough especially not the top one e.g auckland, otago, cantebury. Have you looked into polytechs though there are lots of computer sciency/ technology based courses with little requirments execpt for passing yr 12
You could probably get into some NZ unis e.g waikato but to make a competitive application d's are probably not good enough especially not the top one e.g auckland, otago, cantebury. Have you looked into polytechs though there are lots of computer sciency/ technology based courses with little requirments execpt for passing yr 12

Did you mean to quote the OP?
Original post by TenOfThem
Did you mean to quote the OP?

sorry:confused:
sorry:confused:

You seemed to be telling me how to get into an NZ university rather than telling k.zaky
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You might want to question whether uni is for you - do you really want to get into debt for so much money

However there are still loads of unis in clearing in the UK

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers?CountryCode=&RegionCode=&Lat=&Lng=&Feather=&Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=computer+science&ProviderQuery=&AcpId=&Location=&SubjectCode=

Thanks, but I am only consider the countries that I have stated !
Reply 9

Thank you!, I was considering Waikato highly. Are there any more recommendations that you could give me on universities that are on the 'level' of Waikato? I heard Waikato is one of the best new universities with great facility for CompSci, Economy and law! it is infact ranked top 150 for comp sci but 450 for overall.
Original post by k.zaky

You could try applying to Cambridge, LSE, the ANU, Princeton, MIT and Harvard.

Or Oxford, Yale, Stanford, Caltech, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth College, Chicago, UPenn, Cornell, Imperial College, Trinity College Dublin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Hulkamaniac
You could try applying to Cambridge, LSE, the ANU, Princeton, MIT and Harvard.

Yea I did the same but they chose not to accept me. Not my problem lol
Original post by k.zaky

Take a foundation year!
Original post by k.zaky
Thank you!, I was considering Waikato highly. Are there any more recommendations that you could give me on universities that are on the 'level' of Waikato? I heard Waikato is one of the best new universities with great facility for CompSci, Economy and law! it is infact ranked top 150 for comp sci but 450 for overall.

Waikato does have quite a reputation at being good at maori affairs and not much else but I think it depends on where you look. There is also some other new unis like Lincoln and Victoria. Although lincoln is very agricultural science based and victoria law and politics but they all have wide ranges of course. There is also Cantebury=engineering focused, Otago=medicine and dentistry. To get into auckland you need to be at the top though. But cantebury and otago are more managable, you would probably need the equivilent of a NZ merit endorment to get into those two.
Original post by k.zaky

Your grade are too low uni is not for you..
Reply 15
Aberystwyth? i wanna go there. They want 260-280 points but i have (in my AS year) CCE. All i want is an offer, cos i can do everything myself after that. What do u think?
Original post by k.zaky

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it:smile:
Reply 17
I think Teesside University has around 240 UCAS points as it's general entry, but through clearing, or if willing to take a foundation year then I'm sure they would drop to under 200... Something to think about.
Hello,

I received my AS results and i got AACCC. I want to go into one of these universities:
University of Reading-
BA PRIMARY EDUCATION WITH ENGLISH—280 ucas points

University of Exeter
BA English
AAB-ABB

University of Southampton
Education studies
ABB
BA English
ABB, including grade A in English Literature or combined English Language and Literature and A in Extended Project Qualification
University of Leeds
BA (Hons) English, Language and Education
ABB
University of York
BA English in Education
BBB

University of Sheffield
Education, Culture and Childhood
ABB

Do i have any chance?? :frown:

[INDENT]Hi people I would be grateful for help from someone with knowledge of LSEs selection process. I am wanting to apply for maths and Eco and /or business mathematics and stats. The entry requirements are A*AA and AAA respectively. I do double maths so we do all of maths a level in yr 12 and all further maths in year 13. In maths I got an A but the ums was very low at 81%. My c3c4 average was in the 70% range. I also got low A grades in as economics and chemistry and 90% ums in as physics. Basically do I have a chance of getting on either or both courses with these grades? I'm thinking that AAAA looks good in itself but I am not sure if LSE get access to unit grades and ums? I'm hoping they don't see my unit grades as I got B in about a third of my units which will almost certainly get me rejected. Also for maths and Eco I would need to get an A* in maths but I would have to retake c4 to get the A*, so do LSE take kindly to retakes considering I took maths in one yr ? My GCSEs are alright 5A* 4A and a btec pe distinction. Next yr I will be doing further maths physics and economics and retaking c4 in single maths.
thanks for any help and advice...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending