The Student Room Group

How many hours should one study for doing subjects in Alevels?

Say if we wanted to get 3As
How much for AS and how much for A2? Should duration be increased before exams?
Reply 1
As many as you can!
Reply 2
It depends, I am in the same boat as you :smile: I have just done my GCSES and I am going onto alevels, and ill just say that I will be doing alot! I am aiming for 4A's .. so thats a lot of work. Each night I will be doing quite a bit of revision and reading ahead!
I started during the Easter holidays for AS and I roughly did 5-6 hours of revision per non-school day either doing past papers, making notes or watching video's online to understand concepts. I'd say I spent about 80% of my revision time doing past papers and my hours started bumping up to 6-7 during exam period.

For reference I take maths,further maths, biology and chemistry and got AAAB with the B in biology, getting it remarked though since I was certain I got a high A after coming out the exam. This will differ from person to person, my friend got 4 A's and he did half the amount of time I did so you'll just have to find the amount of hours which works best for you and allows you to be the most productive. Going above 7 hours for me just made me exhausted while my other friend could do 8 hours and feel fine. Hope this gave you some insight :smile:
Reply 4
20 hours a day approx. for top grades
Reply 5
You must revise precisely 17.5 hours per subject per week. No more or no less.
I didn't do too much and only really started about 2 weeks before the exams going through the past papers and I got 4A*'s. So I guess it depends on the person really. Would you feel comfortable walking in to your exam knowing you'd done as little as me?

Quick Reply

Latest