The Student Room Group

GCSE: year 11 revision and study tips

I'm going into year 11 in September and I want to get As and A*s. I already sat a few exams in year 10 but I feel like my revision and study techniques weren't very effective as I procrastinated too much. I don't want to waste anytime this year and so I want the most effective revision and study techniques. Also, if anyone has any ways that will help me stick to my revision without procrastinating please share. All suggestions will be highly appreciated 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi, I got 11A*s in GCSE, and am now selling my IGCSE Eng Lit Pride and Prejudice, A View From the Bridge and OCR Food and Nutrition Notes. If you are interested, please private message me!! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I barely did any revision and gave up revising by the end so I'm not great for advice but I still managed to get 9A*'s and 1A which is getting remarked as it's only 1 mark off an A*.

But anyway, I did consistent homework throughout the year and always went up to my teachers if I didn't understand something so by revision time, even though I did barely any (none actually for some subjects) I still did well because I actually concentrated in all the lessons throughout the year.
Reply 3
Original post by strawberrysnow
I barely did any revision and gave up revising by the end so I'm not great for advice but I still managed to get 9A*'s and 1A which is getting remarked as it's only 1 mark off an A*.

But anyway, I did consistent homework throughout the year and always went up to my teachers if I didn't understand something so by revision time, even though I did barely any (none actually for some subjects) I still did well because I actually concentrated in all the lessons throughout the year.

Thanks!

So concentrating throughout the year makes revision easier and less stressful.

Did you do any extra work at home after school to go over the lesson and what you learnt or did it just stick in your head first time round?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Turn off and hide any electrical devices (phones, laptop, tablet) when working or revising and you'll find it much easier to concentrate. I got 11 A*s at GCSE and this is my main piece of advice for not procrastinating! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lucyx
Turn off and hide any electrical devices (phones, laptop, tablet) when working or revising and you'll find it much easier to concentrate. I got 11 A*s at GCSE and this is my main piece of advice for not procrastinating! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW! 11 A*s! Thats amazing! :smile:

I try my best to do that but sometimes i need my laptop and the internet and i get very distracted and tend to go off track. Any advice on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kauther99
Thanks!

So concentrating throughout the year makes revision easier and less stressful.

Did you do any extra work at home after school to go over the lesson and what you learnt or did it just stick in your head first time round?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha well I tried to make notes at home at the end of every topic but that didn't work too well xD but by easter time/study leave, try to have all your notes written out so in study leave, you can just memorise your notes and do a load of past papers :smile:

But seriously, teachers are your best friends. If you have anything you need help with, most of them won't mind spending a couple of lunchtimes etc doing work with you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I recommend flash card when learning definitions of certain words and processes. Write the process and word on one side and then the definition or process on the other side and just keep going through all of them until you do not have to turn it over to read the back. Revise these flashcards every single day if you can so it is stuck in your head!

However this is just one technique which I used!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Kauther99
WOW! 11 A*s! Thats amazing! :smile:

I try my best to do that but sometimes i need my laptop and the internet and i get very distracted and tend to go off track. Any advice on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thanks :biggrin:
That's fair enough... I'd recommend being really strict with yourself and just telling yourself that you won't get side-tracked by Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr...
Also, try to use books and textbooks whenever possible as then you won't have the distraction problem! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest