The Student Room Group

The double standards on Jezebeel. Why western feminism is useless.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chike
It's almost like you didn't read the thread. I have no problem with the article. I'm simply pointing out double standards. When men do it, there is so much backlash. The same people complaining then do the same thing. Hypocrisy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to examine those links.

Is there backlash? Is there really? Feminists are not angry because they are objectified, men have been objectified too. They are mad because society puts a greater value on sex appeal for women than they do for men.
Reply 21
Original post by Truths
The hint is in their name. The main agenda of Jezebel & modern feminism is sexual revolution for females. The freedom to express sexuality without shamed. The easiest example is the way Men are encouraged to brag about their sex life and multiple partners but women are encouraged to pose as Virgin Marys. That is why there is a need for feminism. But as a man, sexism hardly ever affects you negatively but you are just too blind to see it.

So you're telling me there is no sexism in the
The family courts
The divorce courts
Women getting smaller sentences for the same crime
Treatment of raped men
Treatment of homeless men
Women getting undeserved places in uni due to affirmative action.
The fact that according to UK Law, men cannot be raped.
Reply 22
Original post by Truths
Is there backlash? Is there really? Feminists are not angry because they are objectified, men have been objectified too. They are mad because society puts a greater value on sex appeal for women than they do for men.

I don't really see why that's so bad. It has enabled top female models to make a **** load of money. Any industry has anything to do with beauty usually favours women as they tend to be paid more.
Reply 23
The hypocrisy of feminism should be exposed every time to expose their self serving, anti male mindset agenda.
Reply 24
Original post by Chike
So you're telling me there is no sexism in the
The family courts
The divorce courts
Women getting smaller sentences for the same crime
Treatment of raped men
Treatment of homeless men

Women getting undeserved places in uni due to affirmative action.

I understand. But you forget these are man made issues. But lemme just play along, You treat women like babies, of course they are going to be sentenced like babies. Male rape victims get treated just fine, but if by "treatment of male rape victims" you are referring to the other men mocking their manhood... well that's not the feminists fault. Man can be raped actually, raped by another man, that is not the feminists fault. Man made those rules. Although statuary rape is non discriminate to gender.

Reply 25
Original post by Chike
I don't really see why that's so bad. It has enabled top female models to make a **** load of money. Any industry has anything to do with beauty usually favours women as they tend to be paid more.

You're a man you don't understand the cultural ramifications, no surprise there. But I'm neither a woman or a feminists so I cba to go through this with you. I'm sure someone else will be happy to. Sorry if that sounded passive aggressive and condescending, that wasn't my intention but I really cba. But I'll leave this for you:

[video="youtube;XjJQBjWYDTs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs[/video]

A little food for thought.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eric.T.Cartman
What are feminists stances on women who are promiscuous? They seem to embrace it and use the male double standards to justify it. It's not a positive trait in women or men to sleep around with as many people as possible. Sure there are times guys brag about how many women they've been with, but if someone's only been with one woman their entire life that's something to be proud of in my opinion. Modern women have become disease ridden street walkers because they've had so many sexual partners am I the only one who find's that unattractive?

I don't care how many partners anyone has had, men or women, and I don't expect my partner to care about the number I've had (he doesn't). Imo sexual partners is no one else's business.
Reply 27
Original post by Truths
I understand. But you forget these are man made issues. But lemme just play along, You treat women like babies, of course they are going to be sentenced like babies. Male rape victims get treated just fine, but if by "treatment of male rape victims" you are referring to the other men mocking their manhood... well that's not the feminists fault. Man can be raped actually, raped by another man, that is not the feminists fault. Man made those rules. Although statuary rape is non discriminate to gender.

By treatment of male rape victims, I'm referring to the fact that they are usually left out of rape statistics. Which are usually compiled by feminists. Have you seen the reactions to any of these cases, it's full of pissed off men. The men that made those rules were forced basically by feminists. If there was any move to include woman-on -man rape, feminists would quickly silence them by playing the victim card.
Reply 28
Original post by Truths
You're a man you don't understand the cultural ramifications, no surprise there. But I'm neither a woman or a feminists so I cba to go through this with you. I'm sure someone else will be happy to. Sorry if that sounded passive aggressive and condescending, that wasn't my intention but I really cba. But I'll leave this for you:

[video="youtube;XjJQBjWYDTs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs[/video]

A little food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_xSZ0HXiIU
Watch the vid
Reply 29
Original post by Truths
The hint is in their name. The main agenda of Jezebel & modern feminism is sexual revolution for females. The freedom to express sexuality without shamed. The easiest example is the way Men are encouraged to brag about their sex life and multiple partners but women are encouraged to pose as Virgin Marys. That is why there is a need for feminism. But as a man, sexism hardly ever affects you negatively but you are just too blind to see it.

Men brag about their sex life to other men. If a man bragged about sleeping around to a woman she would consider him a pig the same way a man may consider a woman a whore.

If women cannot brag to other women about their sexual encounters, then how is that the fault of men? Men don't judge and even praise other men for their sexual encounters, if women don't do the same to their own gender then i really don't see how its a relevant issue.
Reply 30

And the "like a girl" phrase is usually used by men directed towards other men. Almost all tasks their are physical tasks, and due to men being genetically stronger men are usually better than girls in almost all of those tasks in general.

The average man can throw faster than the average girl using that example, so to say to another man he is throwing like a girl doesn't really seem an offensive way to say he is not throwing as far as you would expect.
Reply 31
Original post by JG1233
And the "like a girl" phrase is usually used by men directed towards other men. Almost all tasks their are physical tasks, and due to men being genetically stronger men are usually better than girls in almost all of those tasks in general.

The average man can throw faster than the average girl using that example, so to say to another man he is throwing like a girl doesn't really seem an offensive way to say he is not throwing as far as you would expect.

PRSOM
Reply 32

I don't see how the clips being marketing campaigns make the message any less valid. This man in this video rebukes the authenticity of the ads and the motives of the corporation but not the strength of argument the message presents.
Original post by Algorithm69
They also find domestic violence against men funny:

http://jezebel.com/294383/have-you-ever-beat-up-a-boyfriend-cause-uh-we-have
Wow, that's horrific. And the comments are even worse.
Original post by Chike

Yes, they can.
Yes, they can.

I knew what I was saying the first time. Admittedly it's a relatively recent development (the law was changed in 1994), but yes men can be raped under UK law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by anarchism101
Yes, they can.

I knew what I was saying the first time. Admittedly it's a relatively recent development (the law was changed in 1994), but yes men can be raped under UK law.

Find me a case from the UK where a woman has raped a man. I've never seen or heard of one, as a woman cannot rape a man as by law a penis must be inserted into a vagina, anus or mouth, considering a woman doesn't have a penis by definition she can't rape anyone.

Men could be raped by other men, but not women.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nor can a woman be raped by a woman under UK law. The claim "Men can't be raped" is a rather different one than "Women can't rape".

The reason why women (generally, see below*) can't rape men in UK law is because rape is defined as forced penetration of someone with your penis. You could redefine it simply as forced penetration, i.e. being forced by someone to penetrate them would constitute rape, but that would still mean there was no such thing as woman-on-woman rape. And there are those who argue that being forcibly penetrated is more traumatic and has a greater feeling of violation than being forced to penetrate, though I admit I don't know enough to give an informed opinion on the matter.

I should also say that I really don't want to diminish the experiences of male rape and sexual assault victims; in fact I have a lot of sympathy, and I do think it's a difficult problem for feminism to avoid marginalising male rape victims.

* NB: Technically a woman can rape a man under UK law, as the law does not require trans people to have SRS to change their legal gender. So a pre-op transwoman penetrating a man would be legally considered to be a case of woman-on-man rape, though I do recognise this is a legal technicality and not really the point.
Original post by JG1233

Men could be raped by other men, but not women.

So you admit that your original claim, that men cannot be raped, was incorrect?
Reply 39
Original post by anarchism101
So you admit that your original claim, that men cannot be raped, was incorrect?

My initial claim? I did not claim that anywhere, if you are going to suggest i did i'd appreciate some sort of proof.

It seemed obvious the point you person you quoted, which im guessing your presuming was me, was attempting to make was about a man being able to be raped by a woman. Everyone else who has commented has taken it he implied that except you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending