The Student Room Group

Biomedical Engineering 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey I'm applying to ucl, kcl, sheffield, queen marys london and aston lol
offers from sheffield and aston so far with acknowledgments from the others!
Anybody heard much from the london unis? I sent my ucas off a week ago so expect it'll take some time yet
Good luck everyone!
Reply 41
Imperial sent me an admissions exercise to do lol. I can't attend any of their interview dates so it might be Skype or telephone interview.
Reply 42
Hey!
So I'm currently looking at a (Bio)Medical Engineering degree, but I have a couple questions first, hopefully one of you could help!?
> firstly I'll explain my situation, I've finished college, but kinda flopped in my summer exams :L didn't do as well as I was predicted, so I'm doing a few retakes in my gap year and finishing a maths A level I started in my 1st year (only did AS). Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have :
Maths: A
Chemistry: A
Geography: B
(I also have Biology C)
Is it realistic I'll be accepted with these grades? And having done resits?
> secondly, I don't have physics A level. This reduces my list of possible unis to apply to as many want physics.
So far I'm thinking of applying to
- Queen Mary
- Sheffield (?)
- City university London
> Is it worth taking a 2nd gap year to do physics?? Then I can apply to more universities closer to home? (I'm from the south east) Then I could apply to Surrey, Kings and Kent perhaps.
Thanks 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
hey guys, i applied to glasgow and strathclyde for biomedical engineering. I got rejected from glasgow within a day but have mere hope with strathclyde as the guy said he has given offers to people with similar grades as me but my backup is chemical engineering. Good luck to all
Original post by Mochas&cream
Hey guys! It's nice to see that there are actually other interested in this course! :smile: I've applied for Oxford, imperial, leeds, glasgow and Sheffield. I've had offers from glasgow and Sheffield and have an interview at Leeds in January. Good Luck all! :smile:

I was told Leeds don't do interviews, only applicant visit days. Have they made you an offer yet, or is that dependant on your interview?
Original post by Kill3er
I was told Leeds don't do interviews, only applicant visit days. Have they made you an offer yet, or is that dependant on your interview?

Their applicant days consists of an interview. So in th morning you have a tour of the department and have some talks, then after lunch there's an activity and then the interview. Your offer will be dependent on the interview I'm guessing.
I haven't had my applicant day yet as it's in late January (so they gave me 3 months notice unlike imperial who only gave 2 weeks!). My friend had an applicant day for mechanical engineering and after the interview, they straight away gave her an offer and lowered the grade requirements.
Original post by Mochas&cream
Their applicant days consists of an interview. So in th morning you have a tour of the department and have some talks, then after lunch there's an activity and then the interview. Your offer will be dependent on the interview I'm guessing.
I haven't had my applicant day yet as it's in late January (so they gave me 3 months notice unlike imperial who only gave 2 weeks!). My friend had an applicant day for mechanical engineering and after the interview, they straight away gave her an offer and lowered the grade requirements.

Oh, cool! Thanks.

Hate interviews :frown:
Doubt i'd be able to enjoy the visit day knowing there would be an interview at the end.
I've applied to KCL, UCL, queen Mary, sheffield and middlesex and had offers from the last three. Really want to hear from KCL and UCL. Anyone else going to the sheffield applicants open day on the 12th?
also, are you applying for BEng or MEng?
Original post by Jadesmith1997
I've applied to KCL, UCL, queen Mary, sheffield and middlesex and had offers from the last three. Really want to hear from KCL and UCL. Anyone else going to the sheffield applicants open day on the 12th?

I got my offer from queen marys today so waiting for ucl and kcl too and yup! the 12th december sheffield thing :cool:
Original post by AhmedQureshi
I got my offer from queen marys today so waiting for ucl and kcl too and yup! the 12th december sheffield thing :cool:

awesome, see you there!!
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for biomedical engineering in 2016, and I was curious about how you decided to take this course and chose the uni you wanted to go to...
I'm worried that I might start the course and then realise it's not for me because I'm guessing it will be completely different to biology and chemistry at AS and A level. I've tried googling about it but so far all the info I've gotten is really not that helpful - any books you would suggest reading to understand what biomedical engineering is about a bit more?
To be honest, I'm completely lost about the whole uni choice and application process and my school hasn't been at all supportive with this, so any help would be very much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Tessa12345
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for biomedical engineering in 2016, and I was curious about how you decided to take this course and chose the uni you wanted to go to...
I'm worried that I might start the course and then realise it's not for me because I'm guessing it will be completely different to biology and chemistry at AS and A level. I've tried googling about it but so far all the info I've gotten is really not that helpful - any books you would suggest reading to understand what biomedical engineering is about a bit more?
To be honest, I'm completely lost about the whole uni choice and application process and my school hasn't been at all supportive with this, so any help would be very much appreciated! :smile:

Hey idk about most people on this thread but i stumbled accross biomedical engineering by accident and it just seemed really appealing, and i chose the unis based on entry requirements suited to me tbh. Id say the best place to see the content is any uni's course structure, if you like the prospects of whats stated in there, theres a good chance that the course might be for you! Also videos of uni open days for BME on youtube are quite helpful for getting an insight into the degree and what it leads to. Im pretty sure kings college london and ucl have some decent and informative videos and you can expand your knowledge from there if you wish. And i wouldn't really worry about the application process if you're at the start of year 12, just focus on good AS grades then go from there.
I hope this helps a tad :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
also, are you applying for BEng or MEng?

Doesn't matter. University decides that after your 3rd year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tessa12345

Well, obviously it is different from your biology and chemistry at A and As levels.
You can go to libraries and search for any "introduction to biomedical engineering" book, you'll find loads - that what i used to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
awesome, see you there!!

Also at Sheffield on the 12th :smile: and I'm applying for MEng
Reply 56
Anyone applying for Biomed through an Access course? :smile:
Reply 57
Applying for Biomedical Engineering but only to Glasgow and Strathclyde.

Seems like this is a mostly England applicant thread but wondered if anyone had heard back from Strathclyde, as of yet Ive only had a confirmation email and haven't heard of any one else having an offer.
Original post by Hashim3444
Doesn't matter. University decides that after your 3rd year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does for the grades when getting your offers
Reply 59
Original post by Andwat14
Applying for Biomedical Engineering but only to Glasgow and Strathclyde.

Seems like this is a mostly England applicant thread but wondered if anyone had heard back from Strathclyde, as of yet Ive only had a confirmation email and haven't heard of any one else having an offer.

hi, I've not heard back from there, I emailled the admissions person and he said he'll be looking at applications this week and looking to send some offers before the christmas holidays, hope this helps. Are you expecting an unconditional offer or conditional? I only took higher Physics this year so will get a conditional if I do get any sort of offer.

Quick Reply

Latest