The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Physics at QM 2014 entry

So I'm about to start physics at queen Mary and was wondering who else is? Really nervous so far :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh I'm down for Physics Msc :smile: I am looking forward to it but as I got in through clearing, I'm kinda clueless about the university itself.

No I don't have any accommodation yet I'm just on the waiting list. What's your situation? I know the prices are ridiculous I might end up there though it's too far for a commute

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your advice :smile: everywhere seems so expensive so far it's daunting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing MSc physics too! Looking forward to it too :smile:
Reply 4
Hey fellow physics person! It's so hard to find others :smile: where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah I've noticed the same thing! My closest friends so far are in reading universities, so it'll be a completely solo experience :smile: should be interesting

Not yet, apparently they kept places for clearing students like me and they only asked me to apply for accommodation 3 days ago, so surely they can't do that without having some available, right?! I have had a look at private but they still seem too expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
That's really unfair! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh Stratford one is one of the few I was looking at if the accommodation doesn't work out! :smile: it's between £125 and £190 roughly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Danielle2009
So I'm about to start physics at queen Mary and was wondering who else is? Really nervous so far :smile:

Hey,
I'm also doing physics and I too are looking for a place to stay. If you are interested in finding a place together let me know! Many thanks

Elias
Reply 9
I had an email about accommodation just yesterday sorry, although there is a Facebook group you can join to find others who need roommates :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I will be studying Physics at QM as well..so excited! :biggrin: I'm trying to log on to MySIS to select the optional modules but it won't let me choose them as a red message appears saying something about no SSN records can be found...is anyone else having this problem? :s-smilie:
Original post by Charlular
Damn how much are you having to pay for the campus accommodation? I was hoping to pay much less than what I'm booked in for but I guess I might've got sick of being on campus so much anyway.

I was just typing about that when I got the alert that you've posted :tongue:

I'm getting this:

I emailed them about it anyway.

Yeah, that's exactly the same as mine :frown: I emailed Jessica Henry back today but got an automated reply saying she's out of office until the 8th but says to contact Lucie Bone if it's urgent so I might try that. It's frustrating cause I know the option I want to pick but just can't do it. I am really curious to find out my timetable :smile: when did you email?
Less than £130 a week :smile:
(Sorry my app won't let me quote for some reason.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh that's really nice of your mother, my parents tried saying the same but they give money with strings attached. (Sorry for overshare)
Those are the same reasons I wanted on campus accommodation, have you looked at gym prices?
I did look at that option to quote but it seemed to mess up the app, thank you though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I emailed Jessica yesterday and forwarded the email to the other two as well but I expect everybody is having the same problem so I wouldn't worry. I haven't had a proper look yet but is it basically just picking between the C++ or the universe optional modules? I'll probably go with the C++ one if so.

What have you done about accommodation BTW?

Yeah it's just picking between the two :smile: I'm gonna commute as I live in Dagenham so it's only a few stops away on the district line. Would have liked to move out but I barely get anything for maintenance loan and I won't be eligible for the uni accommodation anyway...might as well save money up :tongue: wbu?
Strings attached? I take it you mean like a loan :frown:

I don't really want to leech off my mum so hopefully I can get a job to pay for myself anyway.

I've had a quick look at gyms and hopefully I can get a membership at somewhere in the Olympic park for pretty cheap. Otherwise there're UoL ones like QMUL's. I'm not worried about finding a gym; just the cost and convenience of it. :tongue:

Oh no I mean they would use it as leverage as they helped me I should act a certain way, of course I'd hate to leech off them and would pay it back but it wouldn't be worth it.

Well there must be one close as some accommodation comes with a 12 month gym pass :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't get what you mean about your parents having leverage and you having to act a certain way but whatever; you've got the cheap accommodation now anyway. :smile:

Yeah I think I read somebody posting about Unite maybe giving deals for gyms on the Facebook group for my accommodation but that's just speculation of speculation. I'm not really sure what's actually in the Olympic park but I'd guess it's likely that there are gyms there. What do you mean by "close" though lol? Just because there's a gym close to some other accommodation which provides a free 12 month pass doesn't mean it's close to mine; close for me is a short walk, not a half an hour ride on the tube :tongue:

Yeah it doesn't matter.
Oh well 'close' to me is clearly a bit further than yours haha. I'm just planning on going for a walk the first few days to see what is exactly within walking distance of any use and then planning my activities around this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I live in Staffordshire in the Midlands so staying at home wasn't really an option for me, I wanted a London uni so I could move out though. I'm staying at Stratford ONE which should be okay but it's costing me £189 per week for a full 51 weeks so it uses up my entire maintenance loan and maintenance grant :frown: my mum is giving me some money though and I'm going to try to get a job anyway; I'm not sure whether weekends or evenings are best though. I take it you already know your way around London then? I've only been a couple of times so I don't rely know of Dagenham but I think the name is familiar.

Regarding the modules stuff one of the people emailed me back to say that lots of people have been having problems and that it's being worked on so you should just keep checking to see if it's working and if not by the end of the week then to email them back.

I haven't properly read through it but other than the optional modules do you have to choose how many credits are from certain modules or something? Which optional module are you taking BTW? The universe one is probably interesting but I'd like to know some C++ so I'm pretty sure I'll go with that; I take it there are details of the modules somewhere?

Also are you down for a BSc or MSc? I'm down for a BSc and was just wondering if the first year is the same anyway; too lazy to check this stuff on my phone :tongue:

Oooh that's a lot :s-smilie: what sort of job are you looking at? I currently have a part time job at Greggs but that is just on the weekend so fits in nicely :smile: Although I would like to tutor kids for GCSE and A-level for a bit of extra cash, been looking into it and it seems really good. You can charge whatever you like and it's flexible around uni :biggrin: Haha Dagenham is in Greater London/Essex but I've been to Central London many times before, although I wouldn't say I'm 100% confident with finding my way round :tongue: I tried selecting the modules yesterday and it worked...I took Our Universe :biggrin: The credits are already sorted on there (I think they were like 15 credits each) so you just select the one you want. I tried to look for a more in-depth description for each module on the website but couldn't find it :s-smilie: I'm down for BSc but, if I can I would like to change to Msci :tongue: but the first 2 years are the same I think so it'll give plenty of time to change if I'm allowed to. Was you thinking of changing?
Reply 18
Good evening, fellow physicists!
I think my accommodation is next to Westfield Stratford City so I'll probably try to look for a job anywhere there because of the convenience. Tutoring sounds like a great idea and people have told me to consider it before but after bombing A2 (due to laziness) maybe it wouldn't be so viable for me haha. I'm not sure how competitive it is in London either but if you can do it then I think you can just rake in the cash :biggrin:

Thanks for the information about the modules; I'd imagine many people wouldn't even consider programming so it's an easy decision for them but I still can't decide what to take :frown:

I'm down for the BSc and have absolutely no idea whether I'd like to switch to the MSci or not but it's something I'll take into consideration. I'll have to make sure I can even last three years first though :tongue:

BTW I take it you already have an Oyster Card? Do you know if we sign up for a student one through the university or something? I think I'll be able to walk to the campus from my accommodation in about half an hour or something which I'll probably do but for getting around otherwise I imagine an Oyster Card will be convenient.

Yeah that'll be ideal, there should be loads of vacancies in Westfields so you should have no problem :biggrin: ooh I see haha. Well I would like to give it a go, I worked hard in A-levels but most of my exams did go as expected so I don't know if anyone would want me to tutor them but we'll see :tongue: Yeah that's like me, I picked the universe one straight away cause I barely know anything about programming :L do you know what sort of job you'd like in the future? Yeah I have a 16-18 oyster which expires on the 30th Sept so I will use that until I get an 18+ one (which can only be applied for after enrollment is completed unfortunately :frown:). QMUL website has some info on it: http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/students/finances/discounted-travel/ but you could always look at the transport for london website as well :smile: I would recommend getting an oyster card cause they're easy to use and can save money. I'm getting a monthly one rather than an annual cause of I won't be using trains and buses as often in the holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending