The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

frowned upon or seen as keen??

is applying to durham twice through ucas with different courses something you think durham would like, as it seems you are very keen to go there or do you think it could be frowned upon as you're not dedicated enough to one course?

do departments confir in their applicants as well so that they would know. i.e. if i applied for politics and sociology, and then just sociology?

thankyou!
Reply 1
i think they would definately know that you applied twice to durham, i heard that even though uni's say that they don't know where else you applied, they actually do... i think they would definately know if you applied for both those courses as it's two applications for sociology courses. but i don't know how much this would affect you, personally i wouldn't though as they probably wouldn't think you were dedicated.
but hey this is just what i think, don't know for sure
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I think Talya applied for both Physics and Natural Sciences last year. She definitely got a place for Physics, I'm unsure about the Nat Sci though.
Reply 3
I applied for both Physics and NatSci having run up beforehand to check. They didn't seem to mind. I hoped to perhaps get a lower offer for physics, but in the end both were AAA. A weird thing happened though. I applied for both at grey, and whereas for Physics I got a place there, for natsci they moved me to St Mary's. By talking to someone there on an open day I was able to suggest that they may as well give me a place for Natsci at Grey, since I was only going to accept one offer anyway (!) and then they did. So I'm glad I applied for both.

It's definitely not frowned upon. Applying for similar subjects particularly shows desire to go to durham which can only help. If you can't think of another uni to put on your choices, then go for it :smile:.
Reply 4
I applied twice and got two offers :smile:.
Reply 5
loggins
I applied twice and got two offers :smile:.

Me too.
Reply 6
I applied twice to Durham, for the MEng and BEng. They didn't bother giving me an offer for the BEng, which was a bit of a waste of an application but I suppose it doesn't matter now! :smile:
My friend applied for 2 different courses at durham and got offers for both of them.
I applied for MMath at Hatfield and MPhys at Castle and got an offer for both :biggrin:
I didn't, but apparently a lot of people do. So I guess that is query answered.
I applied for MMath at Hatfield and MPhys at Castle and got an offer for both

Surely colleges wouldnt like this (If they know?) ?? Did your offers from your first choice colleges?
Why did you apply to both Hatfield and Castle? You do know that they hate each other, don't you?
Reply 12
That's probably why lol :biggrin:
Mattmoy_2000
Why did you apply to both Hatfield and Castle? You do know that they hate each other, don't you?

Yup :biggrin: I thought if one accepted me and another didn't I'd have an additional reason to hate the other college. I got places at both so I guess that plan didn't work :rolleyes:
Reply 14
:rolleyes:

people think WAY too much into their uni apps.
Reply 15
Remembering back I actually applied to Castle twice by accident, hehe. Whenever filling out the form I just put in anything and forgot to change it before I sent it off.

Got offers from Trevs/Cuths though.
Reply 16
mol345
i think they would definately know that you applied twice to durham, i heard that even though uni's say that they don't know where else you applied, they actually do... i think they would definately know if you applied for both those courses as it's two applications for sociology courses. but i don't know how much this would affect you, personally i wouldn't though as they probably wouldn't think you were dedicated.
but hey this is just what i think, don't know for sure

Rubbish - firstly why would they say that if it wasn't true? Someone could easily find out if they wanted and then everyone would know that it wasn't true. The fact they've said that for years now and there isn't any major argument against it means it's true.

Secondly, probably a better argument, is that I've seen some application forms (with my buddy Adam Holden who's an admissions tutor in Geography) and there are big black blocks over all of your choices except Durham. So I'm assuming if you've applied twice to Durham they can see both choices there, but then maybe not - as the ones I saw only showed one Durham course so for all I know there could've been other Durham ones blacked out!

:smile:
Reply 17
Your buddy Holden? :p:

Latest