The Student Room Group

Why are second hand books so cheap on amazon?

For example I am looking to get this book;http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1845280857/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

The full price is £10 but when you click 'used' there are several selling for 1p.
I don't understand, how do they make a profit then? Is this legit or is it a scam to get your details or something? Most of the sellers have positive reviews and thousands of ratings.What am I not seeing?

Any help appreciated !
Reply 1
Books are cheap! And it also depends on the condition. I'm not sure, maybe there'll be scraps/flaws but its a good price.
Reply 2
I always get the 1p books, it's no scam! :smile:

In fact, I have no problem with it being used. I love second hand books because I love the nostalgic look they have, and the idea that somebody read it before me :smile:
Reply 3
A lot of them are 1p plus £2.80 for postage, so not exactly as cheap as they seem. Still a good deal, but perhaps mildly underhanded since the P&P isn't particularly visible on Amazon and a lot of the time you'd expect free delivery since Amazon themselves don't charge anything for most orders.
2 weeks before my unit 2 AS History in June (HIS2B) I ordered the Tudor Years, a textbook by Lotherington (get it anyone reading this if you're doing this paper). The book was 1p and the express delivery was £8.98- obviously I needed it quick. They are legit, but remember to factor in the cost of postage.
Reply 5
Because nobody wants them anymore and I'd rather have a little money for something I didn't want than no money at all.
Thanks for all the replies! And there's me always paying so much for books lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending