The Student Room Group

5th Uni Choice

Hi guys!
I am applying for history for 2015 entry...I have decided on four universities to apply to: Cambridge, Durham, Glasgow and York...but I can't decide a fifth one! My grades are good (all A1s in my Highers) and so I want a uni that's top 20 (at least for History anyway), in a historic setting and, preferably, in England. I would also prefer a town with a fairly large population (although Durham obviously is quite small, so this is not a priority).

Any ideas? Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mjr23
Hi guys!
I am applying for history for 2015 entry...I have decided on four universities to apply to: Cambridge, Durham, Glasgow and York...but I can't decide a fifth one! My grades are good (all A1s in my Highers) and so I want a uni that's top 20 (at least for History anyway), in a historic setting and, preferably, in England. I would also prefer a town with a fairly large population (although Durham obviously is quite small, so this is not a priority).

You don't have to put all your choices in when you first apply - you can add additional choices (up to 5) up until the 15th January without any problems.
Original post by mjr23
Hi guys!

You've got enough time to decide, have you been on any open days?
What about St Andrews? It's not in England but it meets all your other requirement.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You don't have to put all your choices in when you first apply - you can add additional choices (up to 5) up until the 15th January without any problems.

I know, I just wanted some ideas so I could do some further research :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JanitaTwain
What about St Andrews? It's not in England but it meets all your other requirement.

St Andrews was always a uni I considered, but I have visited it a good few times (I live in Edinburgh so it is fairly close) and I always find, after a few hours, it gets a bit boring...I'm just not sure I could survive three years there. But thanks for the suggestion, it certainly does fulfil my criteria :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Solivagant
You've got enough time to decide, have you been on any open days?

The only open days I have been to/are going to are ones that I am sure I am applying to I.e Cambridge and Durham...living in Scotland it*is quite difficult to just pop down to England and visit a uni without taking into account petrol costs, accommodation etc. So I have to be really interested in a uni to visit it. But fair enough in regards to me having plenty of time, I was just seeing if anyone had suggestions from their own experience :smile:
exeter or bristol maybe? they're both russell group universities in lovely areas that are regarded highly for their history courses :smile:
Original post by mjr23
The only open days I have been to/are going to are ones that I am sure I am applying to I.e Cambridge and Durham...living in Scotland it*is quite difficult to just pop down to England and visit a uni without taking into account petrol costs, accommodation etc. So I have to be really interested in a uni to visit it. But fair enough in regards to me having plenty of time, I was just seeing if anyone had suggestions from their own experience :smile:

If you want somewhere historic what about Bath?
Reply 9
Original post by tanyapotter
exeter or bristol maybe? they're both russell group universities in lovely areas that are regarded highly for their history courses :smile:

Yeah I have heard that they are great for history, but I wasn't sure how nice they were as towns. I'll research them a wee bit more now with your recommendations :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Solivagant
If you want somewhere historic what about Bath?

I don't think Bath actually do History...which is a bit odd, but my friend loves Bath and desperately wants to go there so I won't say anymore negatives
Original post by PQ

Hi, when you say 'first apply' do you mean filling the form out or actually submitting it? I thought that once you press the submit button that was it, and you couldn't change anything (apart from choosing firm/insurance some months later).

Just checking, as that would be useful if I could apply to certain courses (such as an AAA course) see if I get an offer and if not adjust my chances to lower courses and send out subsequent applications. If that makes sense.
Original post by PQ

So you can choose 5 universities? I've heard that some people say you only have 2-3 that you've to choose from.
Reply 13
Newcastle?
Original post by Comeback
Hi, when you say 'first apply' do you mean filling the form out or actually submitting it? I thought that once you press the submit button that was it, and you couldn't change anything (apart from choosing firm/insurance some months later).

Just checking, as that would be useful if I could apply to certain courses (such as an AAA course) see if I get an offer and if not adjust my chances to lower courses and send out subsequent applications. If that makes sense.

Yep

You can't change things but if you don't use up all 5 choices then you can add more (up to 5) at any point.

So if you're applying early to oxbridge you can put down just 2 of your 5 choices then come back and decide on the other 3 once you've had interviews etc.
Reply 15
Original post by Maths94
Newcastle?

Hmm yeah Newcastle sounds pretty decent, I'll go have a further look. Thanks for the suggestion :smile:
Reply 16
Why haven't you applied to Edinburgh?
Warwick, Exeter, UCL, King's, Bristol, Birmingham etc.

Have a look at this:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=history
Reply 18
Original post by C-Rooney
Why haven't you applied to Edinburgh?

Because I live there and I want to go somewhere a bit different
Reply 19
Original post by lilixxx1000
Warwick, Exeter, UCL, King's, Bristol, Birmingham etc.

Have a look at this:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=history

I liked Warwick but have now been put off by the actual place rather than the University...I have seen that list but do not know many of the towns/cities well I.e Bristol or Exeter...I wanted to see if any people on here thought such places fulfil my criteria :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending