The Student Room Group

Are these the only Universities worth going to for law?

A survey by Chambers Students shows the representation of students from Universities across the UK at top law firms.

So this begs the question, are these 30 odd Universities the only ones worth studying law at?

In no particular order the survey concluded these to be strong institutions:
Exeter
SOAS
Birmingham
Manchester
Bristol
King's

Cambridge
Nottingham
UCL

Durham
Oxford
Warwick

LSE
Sheffield
York

Cardiff

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends entirely on what you want from your law degree, but if what you want is a TC/P at a good firm/chambers which will open doors for the future then it seems so; for that this list could even do with a trim depending on your ambitions.
If you want to be a lawyer at a top city firm then yes. As Birkenhead mentions above, the list is too long if your ambition is, say, to work at a top US firm.
Original post by tengentoppa
If you want to be a lawyer at a top city firm then yes. As Birkenhead mentions above, the list is too long if your ambition is, say, to work at a top US firm.

Probably something like 0.0001 of law graduates from 'top ten' universities end up at a 'top US firm.

Pointless benchmark.
As far as I'm aware, St Andrews doesn't offer law.

If we're considering scottish universities which do offer law, then Glasgow is worth a mention.

If we're considering other UK universities which don't offer law, then Imperial is notably absent from the list.
Original post by liarpoker
Probably something like 0.0001 of law graduates from 'top ten' universities end up at a 'top US firm.

Pointless benchmark.

Questionable maths aside (that would mean less than one UK graduate a year goes to any US law firm) I think you're missing the point. Of that minuscule number of law graduates going to US firms, most will have gone to the top UK universities for law.
Original post by tengentoppa
Questionable maths aside (that would mean less than one UK graduate a year goes to any US law firm) I think you're missing the point. Of that minuscule number of law graduates going to US firms, most will have gone to the top UK universities for law.

they should have been studying law in the US anyway if they want a job in a US law firm. Seeing as in the UK they'l be learning British law lol.
Original post by ChickenMadness
they should have been studying law in the US anyway if they want a job in a US law firm. Seeing as in the UK they'l be learning British law lol.

Not sure if serious
A lot of law graduates don't end up working at top firms. Plenty will even end up in careers not directly related to law.

Yes, top law firms are interested in the university you went to. They'll generally want you to have gone somewhere old and prestigious, and some will even like you to have done a different degree and a law conversion later on.

However, there are plenty of options for people who haven't studied at the most prestigious universities. Not everyone who studies law might want to work at a top firm. Some may prefer to work for a smaller solicitors, or work in a capacity where law knowledge is useful such as HR, or maybe teach, or even go in a totally different direction entirely.

I'm going to speculate that Imperial isn't on the list because it mostly focuses on STEM subjects, and transfers from these subjects to law at postgrad level are rarer than from the humanities.

Also, don't forget that you do have to live at and study at your chosen university for 3 (or more) years. Don't pick somewhere you aren't keen on purely because of the graduate prospects. If you're miserable, then you won't get the best grades, which are also important.
Reply 9
This thread will open a can of worms.

I'm in agreement with the others, that list can be culled. I certainly didn't expect UEA to be on there, or Royal Holloway. I'm assuming unis that are on there that don't offer law are on there because people from those unis have taken the GDL. Though, Royal Holloway will be offering law in 2015.
Reply 10
As said above, Glasgow is worth a mention as it ranks 6th in the UK for law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
A lot of law graduates don't end up working at top firms. Plenty will even end up in careers not directly related to law.

Yes, top law firms are interested in the university you went to. They'll generally want you to have gone somewhere old and prestigious, and some will even like you to have done a different degree and a law conversion later on.

However, there are plenty of options for people who haven't studied at the most prestigious universities. Not everyone who studies law might want to work at a top firm. Some may prefer to work for a smaller solicitors, or work in a capacity where law knowledge is useful such as HR, or maybe teach, or even go in a totally different direction entirely.

I'm going to speculate that Imperial isn't on the list because it mostly focuses on STEM subjects, and transfers from these subjects to law at postgrad level are rarer than from the humanities.

Also, don't forget that you do have to live at and study at your chosen university for 3 (or more) years. Don't pick somewhere you aren't keen on purely because of the graduate prospects. If you're miserable, then you won't get the best grades, which are also important.

Connections = easy mode. Only thing that matters rofl.
Connections = easy mode. Only thing that matters rofl.

How?
Original post by Birkenhead
How?

you only need a friend in a decent law firm to get you a job. Then after that it's just easy to get a job anywhere.

your grades and uni just don't matter in comparison to that. Experience is more important.
you only need a friend in a decent law firm to get you a job. Then after that it's just easy to get a job anywhere.

your grades and uni just don't matter in comparison to that. Experience is more important.

Okay now you're just trolling.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

While this is true it doesn't justify its omission. It's one of the UK's best and most competitive universities and provides some of the best students of STEM subjects which are often useful in law - e.g. chemical engineering in pharmaceuticals - an expert edge that humanities grads couldn't hope to imitate.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Original post by TurboCretin
Okay now you're just trolling.

nope.

Original post by Birkenhead
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

you're a solicitor then?
you're a solicitor then?

You haven't even started university, but I don't need to be a solicitor to understand that the start of a glittering legal career does not consist of giving a QC a handjob. Your education is supremely important...speaking as someone whose parents are both barristers let me tell you from experience that it means absolutely nothing. The most you'll get out of even the closest of connections in this industry is a day or two informally shadowing a barrister so that you can see what it's like for yourself.
nope.

If you're being serious, then I'll say this: connections will help you become better informed, and perhaps to gain some informal work experience. Beyond that, they are of no real advantage. Law firms have become very aware of this notion of old boys networks and that it doesn't make them look good. Some of the most elite firms have gone so far as to ban students from applying to them if a relative already works there.

Quick Reply