The Student Room Group

Need Jobseeker's Allowance - Help please? URGENT!

Long story short, after not liking my university course (Accounting), I want to switch to an English degree. But I don't have an English A-Level and would have to get it. I plan to go back to college to get it and study 2 other subjects (for a total of two years). The fee would be £1600 and I'm unable to pay this. However, I was told by the college that if I could get a Jobseeker's Allowance then I would be able to go for free.

The conditions for Jobseeker's Allowance are as follows:

be 18 or over but below State Pension age - there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17

not be in full-time education

be in England, Scotland or Wales

be able and available for work

be actively seeking work

work on average less than 16 hours a week

go to a JSA interview

The only requirement that I worry about is "not be in full-time education". Technically, I'm not because I left the university to get my A-Levels (but I would be in a few weeks). So how do I explain the situation to them during the interview?

Next, It may seem kinda "douchey" but I COULD pretend that I want to work for a year before going to to College for A-Levels and then change my mind a few weeks later. What do you think about this?

On another note, the final date for enrolment at the college is 30 Aug which gives me very limited time. The college requires me to show "evidence" (in a form of a letter) which shows that I WILL be getting JSA.

Thanks for reading and helping me out!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?? Help?
Studying A-Levels counts as full time education. Only way around it is if you could sit exams as an external candidate and not be taught by the college. I don't see why (assuming you've done A-Levels/Btecs) just sitting English A Level and self studying wouldn't work?

I don't recommend lying about something like this. Imagine you were banned from claiming benefits in the future, when you might really need it.
Reply 3
Original post by Comeback
Studying A-Levels counts as full time education. Only way around it is if you could sit exams as an external candidate and not be taught by the college. I don't see why (assuming you've done A-Levels/Btecs) just sitting English A Level and self studying wouldn't work?

I don't recommend lying about something like this. Imagine you were banned from claiming benefits in the future, when you might really need it.

Thanks for your reply! But people do change their decisions! Imagine were I was genuinely wanting to look for work but then decide to attend a college instead.

Actually, in my position, it makes quite a bit of sense to work, go back to studying, then university. Well, financially it is less stressful. Of course, this would mean that extra years are wasted but it seems like a perfectly viable route to take.
Original post by novaboi24
Thanks for your reply! But people do change their decisions! Imagine were I was genuinely wanting to look for work but then decide to attend a college instead.

Actually, in my position, it makes quite a bit of sense to work, go back to studying, then university. Well, financially it is less stressful. Of course, this would mean that extra years are wasted but it seems like a perfectly viable route to take.

That is fine but from the moment you start full time education I imagine your money will stop being sent to you as you no longer meet the conditions.

Is there no way you can borrow money from family/friends to hold you over until you get the A Level?
Reply 5
That is fine but from the moment you start full time education I imagine your money will stop being sent to you as you no longer meet the conditions.

Is there no way you can borrow money from family/friends to hold you over until you get the A Level?

All the college is looking for is just a simple letter that says I'm going to receive Jobseeker's Allowance. With that evidence, I will be able to study for free. This is hilarious because I'm not after the money directly from the JSA but rather the letter itself!

My family.... there's no chance considering that they are very disappointed that I left university.....
Original post by novaboi24
All the college is looking for is just a simple letter that says I'm going to receive Jobseeker's Allowance. With that evidence, I will be able to study for free. This is hilarious because I'm not after the money directly from the JSA but rather the letter itself!

My family.... there's no chance considering that they are very disappointed that I left university.....

Oh I see, I thought you were trying to get money to pay for the A Level! :tongue:

That makes sense. I'd advise you just research it a bit online first before you do anything though.
Reply 7
Oh I see, I thought you were trying to get money to pay for the A Level! :tongue:

That makes sense. I'd advise you just research it a bit online first before you do anything though.

YUUUUP! I should have my interview within 2 days and I'm reading up on EVERYTHING that will help me receive that letter!
Reply 8

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1548085

THIS
THIS
THIS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending