The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Help! Eliot college

Hi
I've just got an offer for Eliot college south block, but I originally chose packwood as my first choice.
I heard that the kitchens in Eliot college aren't suitable for cooking meals, should I accept their offer or apply for accommodation off campus?
Reply 1
Hey there!

The kitchens in Eliot college, if you're in catered accomodation, only have a microwave - so if you're looking at cooking your own meals all the time, it's not the place for you.

Why don't you ring up the accomodation office, or email them - and ask if you can swap? They have move lists you can get onto as people change their minds and things in other colleges become free :smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi thanks the reply! I don't really mind not cooking my own meals, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough money to buy the rest of my meals, especially as I don't know how the prices are on campus :s
My advice is to stay on campus: it's far cheaper than being off campus! Live in Eliot for a few weeks and then ask to swap and it's usually doable (well try emailing now but last year they said try living there for 3 weeks first and then come back to ask). Eating on campus isn't too bad - there's deals and quite a wide variety and you will have a microwave in the kitchen. (And you can just always make friends who are living elsewhere and ask them to let you cook at theirs)
Reply 4
Original post by APersonCalledClara
My advice is to stay on campus: it's far cheaper than being off campus! Live in Eliot for a few weeks and then ask to swap and it's usually doable (well try emailing now but last year they said try living there for 3 weeks first and then come back to ask). Eating on campus isn't too bad - there's deals and quite a wide variety and you will have a microwave in the kitchen. (And you can just always make friends who are living elsewhere and ask them to let you cook at theirs)

Thanks for the advice, I might actually accept my offer then :biggrin: also, how many societies do you recommend joining, i've seen lots that I like, but my parents keep warning me about having enough time to study :s
Original post by GeeNuABO
Thanks for the advice, I might actually accept my offer then :biggrin: also, how many societies do you recommend joining, i've seen lots that I like, but my parents keep warning me about having enough time to study :s

Yeah it's much better than having to deal with the hassle of finding off campus accommodation! People who didn't get accommodation on campus would kill for your place! (Last year quite a few students were even placed in the Medway Campus and had to commute!

What will you study? As most subjects have 8 hours contact time a week - I tried all the ones I wanted to try during the first few weeks and then committed to 3 in my first year, during second year I didn't join any (but that's cos I was in the committee for 6 so rather join I was helping running them haha)

But seriously, have fun during your first year! Then concentrate on studies in second and final year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending