The Student Room Group

Moving into a house this September....when do I sort out bills?

I'm going into second year and will be moving into a house at the end of September. Our lease starts September 1st, though the earliest any of us is moving in is 18th September.

One of my housemates wants us to meet before moving in to create a joint account for bills and to call up the providers to switch the bills to our name.

I don't really want to be doing a train journey just for this and I feel like this is something that can wait until we move in....my question is can it? Do most people sort it out once they move in? How long should you leave it for?
Original post by Naami
I'm going into second year and will be moving into a house at the end of September. Our lease starts September 1st, though the earliest any of us is moving in is 18th September.

One of my housemates wants us to meet before moving in to create a joint account for bills and to call up the providers to switch the bills to our name.

I don't really want to be doing a train journey just for this and I feel like this is something that can wait until we move in....my question is can it? Do most people sort it out once they move in? How long should you leave it for?

Don't agree to a joint account whatever you do, because your credit ratings will be tied to each other for a few years then. Getting your names on the bill can be done by phone at home without ever needing to be in the house.
Reply 2
Joint account was my idea - it's just the 3 of us and we're friends from the first year. I think it's easier than putting a name on each bill and more fair. We'll be putting 3 months worth of utilities in at the beginning of each term.
Reply 3
We sorted it all out after we moved in. Can all be done on the phone anyway

But srs, don't get a joint acc. Make a new bank acc in one of your names and just use that
What we did is we all have our names on the bill but it comes out of one person's account and we all set up a standing order to her that went in a few days before the bills were due to leave.
Original post by Naami
Joint account was my idea - it's just the 3 of us and we're friends from the first year. I think it's easier than putting a name on each bill and more fair. We'll be putting 3 months worth of utilities in at the beginning of each term.

definitley not, if someone defaults on a payment (im not just talking bills in your current houseshare) all your credit records get a blot on them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending