The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

the imperial prospectus states all applicants must sit the mat or step papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjpneed1
I sent off my UCAS application on the 30th, was I supposed to have an email about filling out the SAQ? Deadline is fairly soon

And does anyone have a source saying I don't need to sit the MAT for Imperial if I'm sitting all three STEP papers

From what I understand, if you apply before the MAT registration deadline, you must sit the MAT. However, if you apply after, and therefore you cannot sit the MAT, Imperial will consider giving you an offer on the basis of STEP.

As you're applying to Cambridge, and therefore before the 15th October, you'll fall into the former category.

In any case, I'd recommend that you email Imperial to get information directly from them.
I sent off my UCAS application on the 30th, was I supposed to have an email about filling out the SAQ? Deadline is fairly soon

And does anyone have a source saying I don't need to sit the MAT for Imperial if I'm sitting all three STEP papers

Plus preparing for the MAT won't hinder you at all in the long run. It's a different type of maths. Perhaps it will help with interview prep?

and step is much easier then step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
and step is much easier then step.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
damit i was meant to say mat is much easier then step
damit i was meant to say mat is much easier then step

Yeah I know, just messing with you. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough, may as well sit it I guess, questions aren't hard compared to STEP but I expect the pressure will change my view of that in the exam
guys. Im starting siklos's booklets(thought id save it till now)which one should i do first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys. Im starting siklos's booklets(thought id save it till now)which one should i do first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The "core" one, since it is aimed at STEP I and II.
Original post by tiny hobbit
The "core" one, since it is aimed at STEP I and II.

Thanks alot

Posted from TSR Mobile
How well does STEP performance correlate with university mathematics performance (at top unis like Oxbridge and Imperial)?
Original post by Godel_Mark
How well does STEP performance correlate with university mathematics performance (at top unis like Oxbridge and Imperial)?

There is quite a high correlation between performance in STEP II, III and performance in the Cambridge IA tripos. See here.
Original post by arkanm
Another one, inspired by a problem I solved recently.

Consider a circle has center O and radius one. Cut off the chord AB on the circumference of the circle and let AOB=θ\angle AOB=\theta. By considering triangle AOB and the arc AB, show that θ2>sinθ2\frac{\theta}{2}>\sin \frac{\theta}{2}, and deduce x>sinxx>\sin x where x is a real number.

i) Consider regular hexagon ABCDEF which is inscribed in a circle radius one and centered at O. By summing the area of triangle OAB and the five other similar triangles in ABCDEF, show that the area of ABCDEF can be written as 3sinπ33\sin \frac{\pi}{3}, and hence show that 2+3=2cosπ12\sqrt{2+\sqrt{3}}=2\cos \frac{\pi}{12}.

ii) Prove that π>9622+2+2+2+3\pi>96\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{3}}}}}}.

x>sin(x) for all real numbers?
Thats not true.
For strictly positive reals if you want to be 100% accurate. 😊
Why are A Level Maths syllabuses set the way they are, if they don't prepare you for university level mathematics - at most Russell Group universities?
Why are A Level Maths syllabuses set the way they are, if they don't prepare you for university level mathematics - at most Russell Group universities?

Because they are all idiots. The syllabuses are way too easy nowadays. Its so they get more entries hence more money!!! then every once in awhile they mess up an exam hence all these people will resit!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not entirely sure what you're asking but note that:

Historically, Maths A level has to prepare both students intending to do Maths degrees AND students intending to do degrees where Maths is a "supporting element" of the course e.g. sciences, engineering, economics.

More recently, governments have become obsessed with demonstrating that their educational policies are "successful" and one of their key measures of this is how many people pass exams (in various subjects). So as far as the Government is concerned it's better to have 80,000 people studying A level Maths who don't know what they're doing than 50,000 people studying a tougher A level Maths and getting a decent foundation in Maths!
I need help for Siklos 'Advanced Problems in mathematics' Question 23:

For part(i), he says the answer is 1/(2n1) 1/(2^{n}-1) but shouldn't it be 1/((2n2)) 1/(\binom {2^{n}}{2}) as (2n2) \binom {2^{n}}{2} is the number of ways of picking 22 element subset from a set of 2n2^{n} elements, and only one of these subsets will be {P1,P2} \left\{P_{1}, P_{2}\right\}

where P1 P_{1} and P2 P_{2} are the two players.

Also note that he says 'Two players are drawn at random', therefore I'm assuming that the players are drawn at the same time, not sequentially.
I need help for Siklos 'Advanced Problems in mathematics' Question 23:

For part(i), he says the answer is 1/(2n1) 1/(2^{n}-1) but shouldn't it be 1/((2n2)) 1/(\binom {2^{n}}{2}) as (2n2) \binom {2^{n}}{2} is the number of ways of picking 22 element subset from a set of 2n2^{n} elements, and only one of these subsets will be {P1,P2} \left\{P_{1}, P_{2}\right\} No. Your solution gives the probability that two players meet in a particular match in the first round. But there are actually 2^(n-1) matches in the first round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending