The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatPerson
I might be being a bit dense, but what does it mean to "solve the equation" but not solve for x?

Can you give me an example?

Sorry, I had a brain-fart just then. I take back what I said. How embarrassing. I agree it means to solve the equation for x.

Apologies >.< :colondollar:
The STEP questions that I've done tend to have fairly nice solutions, although I probably haven't done enough to say that this is always the case. However I'm anticipating that the solutions to this equation will be messy.

I had a go at solving it. I've simplified it as much as I can, but I'm finding it hard to rearrange into a form that I can actually solve. Is there a trick to this?

I believe there are multiple solutions for x. If there is a trick to solving this, I don't have it. :colondollar:
Original post by SamKeene
Sorry, I had a brain-fart just then. I take back what I said. How embarrassing. I agree it means to solve the equation for x.

Apologies >.< :colondollar:

haha, it happens to everyone.

Original post by Arieisit
I believe there are multiple solutions for x. If there is a trick to solving this, I don't have it. :colondollar:

I'm curious now as to how you would solve this. It might be worth posting it on the main forum to see if anyone else can think of a method. Where did you find it?
haha, it happens to everyone.

I'm curious now as to how you would solve this. It might be worth posting it on the main forum to see if anyone else can think of a method. Where did you find it?

Maybe.

Where did I find it? LOL

Its on a meme circulating around social media. I tried to solve it. Decided to ask you guys.
Reply 744
Original post by Arieisit
Is this question STEP quality?

Solve the equation, reducing xx to its simplest form.

(3x227)(8x2)64(93x)(x2+3x)=tan(x+4)log(x+14)\dfrac{(3x^2-27)(8x^2)6}{4(9-3x)(x^2 +3x)} = \dfrac{\tan(x+4)}{\log(x+\frac{1}{4})}

The LHS reduces to -2x if that helps.
I have no idea how to solve it other than using numerical methods/graphically though.
Original post by Gawain
The LHS reduces to -2x if that helps.
I have no idea how to solve it other than using numerical methods/graphically though.

maybe use series???. might tidy up the rhs.
it probably wont though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dunno where to post this but if you get an offer then do you take for example, both AEA and step (do they pick the best or do you give them the best result?- because its not like an a level so its not a qualification so i dont know whether you have to put it down..) Let's say you get a cam offer then should you take all 3?
Thanks
Reply 747
Original post by MathMeister
Dunno where to post this but if you get an offer then do you take for example, both AEA and step (do they pick the best or do you give them the best result?- because its not like an a level so its not a qualification so i dont know whether you have to put it down..) Let's say you get a cam offer then should you take all 3?
Thanks

If you get an offer from Warwick, you need either a 2 in any STEP or distinction in AEA. You can do all three STEP papers and AEA if you want to cover all your bases, but Warwick only require one.
If you get a 3 in STEP but a distinction in AEA then you still get in. Same if you get a 2 in any STEP and a merit/pass in AEA.

For Cambridge, they don't look at AEA. They only look at STEP II and III. If you miss your offer slightly, I think a good mark (1/S) in STEP I may improve your chances of getting in anyway or being pooled.

Warwick and Cambridge automatically get all AEA and STEP grades.
From which year is the current specification of step been started from. Is it 2004?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smartest people on TSR chill on this thread. Just thought I'd add that in.
Original post by Kabulkid
Smartest people on TSR chill on this thread. Just thought I'd add that in.

Ukraine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 751
Original post by physicsmaths

I would not want to chill in Ukraine even if I got to chill with smart people.
Original post by 0x2a
I would not want to chill in Ukraine even if I got to chill with smart people.

lol i was supposed to write ikr but spell check changed it to Ukraine lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 753
Original post by physicsmaths
lol i was supposed to write ikr but spell check changed it to Ukraine lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao :tongue:
Does anyone know of any step questions that only require C1 knowledge and maybe a bit of C2 (we've done factor/remainer theorem, logs and circles)? (or perhaps questions involving only m1/s1 knowledge) I feel like trying a step question :biggrin:

Original post by BBeyond
Does anyone know of any step questions that only require C1 knowledge and maybe a bit of C2 (we've done factor/remainer theorem, logs and circles)? (or perhaps questions involving only m1/s1 knowledge) I feel like trying a step question :biggrin:

Off the top of my head have a look at STEP I 2000 Q1,2 (Q2 needs knowledge of binomial expansions) and STEP I 2001 Q1.
Original post by BBeyond

STEP I 1994, Q5 (a good question, requiring only a little calculus, coordinate geometry, and thought).

STEP I 1999, Q1 and Q9 (the latter is a mechanics question). Q1 is very much a sort of maths challenge vibe.
Off the top of my head have a look at STEP I 2000 Q1,2 (Q2 needs knowledge of binomial expansions) and STEP I 2001 Q1.

Thank you, I will have a look at these :biggrin:

Original post by Krollo
STEP I 1994, Q5 (a good question, requiring only a little calculus, coordinate geometry, and thought).

STEP I 1999, Q1 and Q9 (the latter is a mechanics question). Q1 is very much a sort of maths challenge vibe.

Thanks :biggrin: But how do I find the STEP papers from before 1998? It only goes back to 1998 on their website :frown:
Original post by BBeyond
Thank you, I will have a look at these :biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: But how do I find the STEP papers from before 1998? It only goes back to 1998 on their website :frown:

You can get all of them here. Excellent website, has a load of MAT papers too (which only require C1 and C2, so it may be worth checking them out).
Original post by Krollo
You can get all of them here. Excellent website, has a load of MAT papers too (which only require C1 and C2, so it may be worth checking them out).

Cheers :biggrin: I just looked at the questions, and they are sooooo hard? At the moment I don't even really know where to start :eek: It's quite a shock really because I usually find the work we do easy :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending