The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krollo
I was given a STEP II paper at the prep class I go to, and decided to have a crack, for better or for worse. My STEP 1 is far from perfect, but I can generally speaking get 5 or 6 questions sorted on most papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well thats an S grade right there. i would keep thos paper for now as you will probably need them for your offers next year(assuming your gna apply for maths at cambridge/warwick/imperial). i would do the old oxford step papers which you can find on mathshelper and do all mat and stuff and step 1. do loads of bmo1 as you have tonnes of time to play with!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Quick question. I started STEP II today, and was pleased to pretty much complete questions 1 and 3 on STEP II 2008. However, I absentmindedly forgot to check a spurious set of results at the very end of question 1. Am I right to think I'd only lose a couple of marks? I appreciate no-one really knows, but it'd be nice to have a bit of an idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that I have much experience, but I think you'd only lose 2-3 marks. :smile:
Original post by physicsmaths
well thats an S grade right there. i would keep thos paper for now as you will probably need them for your offers next year(assuming your gna apply for maths at cambridge/warwick/imperial). i would do the old oxford step papers which you can find on mathshelper and do all mat and stuff and step 1. do loads of bmo1 as you have tonnes of time to play with!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! Now I've finished S2, I was thinking of studying another module for the banter - would getting D1 out of the way be useful or should I have a crack at FP3 perhaps?

Original post by Zacken
Not that I have much experience, but I think you'd only lose 2-3 marks. :smile:

Cheers. Regrettable, but not armageddon then :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Thanks for the advice! Now I've finished S2, I was thinking of studying another module for the banter - would getting D1 out of the way be useful or should I have a crack at FP3 perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

d1 is a load of crap. do fp3. uve got plenty of time for modules though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have to do D1 then I would get it out of the way ASAP because it's useless for STEP and you'll presumably be sitting STEP II,III next year, so you wouldn't want to waste your time with D1.
d1 is a load of crap. do fp3. uve got plenty of time for modules though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ThatPerson
If you have to do D1 then I would get it out of the way ASAP because it's useless for STEP and you'll presumably be sitting STEP II,III next year, so you wouldn't want to waste your time with D1.

I don't want to do it, but I'll need to do it at some point as my school makes it compulsory for further mathsters. I might leave it for the summer, when at least I have warmth and sunshine to distract me from bin packing algorithms.

For now I'll probably do STEP and MAT for a bit before learning any more new material, maybe I'll start D1 in a month or so. We'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I don't want to do it, but I'll need to do it at some point as my school makes it compulsory for further mathsters. I might leave it for the summer, when at least I have warmth and sunshine to distract me from bin packing algorithms.

For now I'll probably do STEP and MAT for a bit before learning any more new material, maybe I'll start D1 in a month or so. We'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn my school lets us do any modules we want in a2 year for further maths people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do not start MAT prep yet. Way too early. Aren't enough papers. I started after summer and I ran out of papers way too quickly.

Unless you're doing the old, old version which is much like STEP.

Oh and with regards to modules, do FP3 now. It is so interesting, we've done FP2 and half of FP3 so far (Vectors & Planes and Groups) and it's great. In my opinion, D1 is a piece of piss, you just need to learn a few algorithms and practice tem. Surely you'd want to have easy modules next year when you've got STEP prep to do, rather than something like FP3 which would require more revision...
(edited 9 years ago)
Damn my school lets us do any modules we want in a2 year for further maths people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your school must be big then. Ours is strict.
Original post by DomStaff
Do not start MAT prep yet. Way too early. Aren't enough papers. I started after summer and I ran out of papers way too quickly.

Oh and with regards to modules, do FP3 now. It is so interesting, we've done FP2 and half of FP3 so far (Vectors & Planes and Groups) and it's great. In my opinion, D1 is a piece of piss, you just need to learn a few algorithms and practice tem. Surely you'd want to have easy modules next year when you've got STEP prep to do, rather than something like FP3 which would require more revision...

Fair enough. Ill leave MAT till later, and have a crack at FP3 perhaps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He could work through the Dr. Frost MAT & Olympiad Worksheets though. If he is learning another module to do the exam, I'd go with D1, otherwise FP3 is the better unit.
Original post by Krollo
Fair enough. Ill leave MAT till later, and have a crack at FP3 perhaps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exam board are you? If you're OCR I'd say start with Groups, they're interesting :smile:

I haven't done the De Moivre stuff though and that does look even better.

You can do the old MAT though, by all means. The one that is 3 hours long and has more of a STEP style.
What exam board are you? If you're OCR I'd say start with Groups, they're interesting :smile:

I haven't done the De Moivre stuff though and that does look even better.

You can do the old MAT though, by all means. The one that is 3 hours long and has more of a STEP style.

Edexcel alas. Hyperbolics and further integration to look forward to, I believe. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Edexcel alas. Hyperbolics and further integration to look forward to, I believe. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done Hyperbolics and OCR's version of further integration (minus complex numbers) in our FP2. Some integrals I did, they literally took like 2-3 substations, haha, one at least being hyperbolic. Yeah, they're interesting and just extend your grip of calculus.
Your school must be big then. Ours is strict.

Na they didn't used to. My school had two Cambridge kids last year for the first time in like ever. One if them did a few modules himself and got 100s so they trust he 'outstanding' students and let them do whatever they want basically. There's only 8 people in my further maths class anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done Hyperbolics and OCR's version of further integration (minus complex numbers) in our FP2. Some integrals I did, they literally took like 2-3 substations, haha, one at least being hyperbolic. Yeah, they're interesting and just extend your grip of calculus.

You do groups in a level?! Wtf edexcel is bull****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You do groups in a level?! Wtf edexcel is bull****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't do much. Do like the axioms, proving and disproving if things are groups, subgroups, lagrange's theorem, isomorphisms and the types of groups, e.g. Klein-V or cyclic etc (for groups of order 4).
We don't do much. Do like the axioms, proving and disproving if things are groups, subgroups, lagrange's theorem, isomorphisms and the types of groups, e.g. Klein-V or cyclic etc (for groups of order 4).

Damn. I've had to learn all that crap at home from some books haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 958

Just trying to compare what my book covers to what is still on MEI, do you do isomorphisms, Cayley's theorem and isometries of planes as well?
Reply 959
These are the contents of the book I am using to learn/revise linear algebra. Other than some stuff at the end I do not think it varies much from the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending