The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Newark and Southwell Halls - Jubilee Campus

Hey guys, I just got my offer of accommodation a couple days ago; a room in Southwell Hall. Anyone moving into Newark or Southwell hall? I didn't find a thread for these halls and I'd love to meet new people!

I'm studying BSc Psychology. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I got a room in Newark Hall and I love meeting new people! I have been trying to find some people before hand as well but I have only managed to find one other person who is not even in the same hall but is doing the same course as me. Looking forward to Notts! Hoping to make awesome new friends at a fantastic new place :biggrin: When does your course start?

Oh and I'm doing Physics with Theoretical Physics BSc :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ezio-usama
Hey! I got a room in Newark Hall and I love meeting new people! I have been trying to find some people before hand as well but I have only managed to find one other person who is not even in the same hall but is doing the same course as me. Looking forward to Notts! Hoping to make awesome new friends at a fantastic new place :biggrin: When does your course start?

Oh and I'm doing Physics with Theoretical Physics BSc :smile:

Awesome! I'm in Southwell but I hear Newark and Southwell share an atrium anyway so we will all be mixing. :biggrin: Didn't think I'd get an ensuite whilst being on the insurance waiting list so I am pleased I am on Jubilee. Course teaching starts on the 29th I think.. haven't checked properly but I am excited for freshers the week before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlissaNB
Awesome! I'm in Southwell but I hear Newark and Southwell share an atrium anyway so we will all be mixing. :biggrin: Didn't think I'd get an ensuite whilst being on the insurance waiting list so I am pleased I am on Jubilee. Course teaching starts on the 29th I think.. haven't checked properly but I am excited for freshers the week before!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! I was kinda worried cause I didn't find many people in Newark but this is good news :biggrin: Yeah I'm really glad I managed to get the ensuite too I though they were going to run out so fast. The jubilee campus itself is a beautiful campus :smile: Aye I will probably be there on the 21st. Hahaha yeah freshers!! WOOO! I'm so excited too! New people, partying having fun. Going to be awesome :smile:
Reply 4
Great! I was kinda worried cause I didn't find many people in Newark but this is good news :biggrin: Yeah I'm really glad I managed to get the ensuite too I though they were going to run out so fast. The jubilee campus itself is a beautiful campus :smile: Aye I will probably be there on the 21st. Hahaha yeah freshers!! WOOO! I'm so excited too! New people, partying having fun. Going to be awesome :smile:

I'm so glad to have found someone, haha! I have never been to visit the Jubilee campus so I cant say much about the feel of it but I have seen plenty of pictures and it looks very striking and pleasant, so all in all I am pleased. The school of psychology is on the closest side of the university park campus so I dont think it'll be a long trek on the bus. Yes, I'm moving in on the 21st too. I literally have no idea what to expect for freshers but I think that in itself is quite exciting, haha! I hope I dont come down with freshers flue though. :')
Hahaha you and me both! Well everyone has their own opinions but from my perspective it's really wonderful. It doesn't have ad muchgreenery as uuniversity park but all the buildings are pretty new and different which adds to the variety, there is also many places near the lake to just lie down on the grass during summer time, also it has a nice overall view :smile: Aye that's good, the school of physics is in university park as well and I think it's about 20 mins walk so probably 5-8 mins on the bus. I love walking but if I'm late then the bus it is :L YES! I have no idea what to expect and I think the exact same thing. It's like an unknown adventure in a new place Allons-y (pardon the geekiness but I'ma lpretty odd mixture of going out being social and a geek it's kinda funny :L). Hahaha nope you'll be fine hopefully, tbh being in the same hall does mean everyone looks out for each other so I'm sure with many of us there if anyone does come down with it they will be better in no time :smile:
I'm so glad to have found someone, haha! I have never been to visit the Jubilee campus so I cant say much about the feel of it but I have seen plenty of pictures and it looks very striking and pleasant, so all in all I am pleased. The school of psychology is on the closest side of the university park campus so I dont think it'll be a long trek on the bus. Yes, I'm moving in on the 21st too. I literally have no idea what to expect for freshers but I think that in itself is quite exciting, haha! I hope I dont come down with freshers flue though. :')
Reply 6
Hahaha you and me both! Well everyone has their own opinions but from my perspective it's really wonderful. It doesn't have ad muchgreenery as uuniversity park but all the buildings are pretty new and different which adds to the variety, there is also many places near the lake to just lie down on the grass during summer time, also it has a nice overall view :smile: Aye that's good, the school of physics is in university park as well and I think it's about 20 mins walk so probably 5-8 mins on the bus. I love walking but if I'm late then the bus it is :L YES! I have no idea what to expect and I think the exact same thing. It's like an unknown adventure in a new place Allons-y (pardon the geekiness but I'ma lpretty odd mixture of going out being social and a geek it's kinda funny :L). Hahaha nope you'll be fine hopefully, tbh being in the same hall does mean everyone looks out for each other so I'm sure with many of us there if anyone does come down with it they will be better in no time :smile:

Yes, I quite like that there is variety! Besides, if I ever feel like immersing myself in greenery, as you say, it's only a several minutes on the hopper bus. Lying down on the green during summers on Jubilee sounds so lovely though. I'll probably be getting the bus mostly to my lectures as I think the hopper buses are free? - gosh, that makes me sound so lazy! To be honest, I'm just relieved to have gotten a single room in what looks like a pretty decent and exciting hall. Do you know if Newark and Southwell have many events arranged? I have heard they've had a formal event recently. I'm a sucker for the occasional dressing up and going out but not so much the clubbing every night type. :colondollar: No no, don't apologise, I love geekiness. Besides, I'm pretty much the same, in that respect! I'm going to make a big effort and go all out during freshers and try and get involved as much as I can. n_n
Yes, I quite like that there is variety! I love just lying down with friends relaxing having like a mini picnic thing :L Besides, if I ever feel like immersing myself in greenery, as you say, it's only a several minutes on the hopper bus. Lying down on the green during summers on Jubilee sounds so lovely though. I'll probably be getting the bus mostly to my lectures as I think the hopper buses are free? - gosh, that makes me sound so lazy! To be honest, I'm just relieved to have gotten a single room in what looks like a pretty decent and exciting hall. Do you know if Newark and Southwell have many events arranged? I have heard they've had a formal event recently. I'm a sucker for the occasional dressing up and going out but not so much the clubbing every night type. :colondollar: No no, don't apologise, I love geekiness. Besides, I'm pretty much the same, in that respect! I'm going to make a big effort and go all out during freshers and try and get involved as much as I can. n_n

Good, then you should love Jubilee! :smile: Hahaha good to know, i Yup true, buses or walking. Tbf I may sound overly active here but unless I'm going to thegym or the ooccasional walk I'm a lazy bum :L Yup I was scared of not getting any accommodation whatsoever never mind a good one! Yeah they have many events arranged in the past but I don't think they have organised that many for the new undergraduates yet but they should do later on. It's very exciting actually! Hahaha I'm the same in that :-[ I only go clubbing if certain people go and it's like once everyone 2 months or something :L Yayyy! Grekiness for the win! You seem like an aweso me person, this is exactly why I like meeting new people! Even more excited for uni now :biggrin: aye can definitely say the same for me, going to make sure it's an awesome time and make the most of it :') hopefully others will too
Reply 8
Good, then you should love Jubilee! :smile: Hahaha good to know, i Yup true, buses or walking. Tbf I may sound overly active here but unless I'm going to thegym or the ooccasional walk I'm a lazy bum :L Yup I was scared of not getting any accommodation whatsoever never mind a good one! Yeah they have many events arranged in the past but I don't think they have organised that many for the new undergraduates yet but they should do later on. It's very exciting actually! Hahaha I'm the same in that :-[ I only go clubbing if certain people go and it's like once everyone 2 months or something :L Yayyy! Grekiness for the win! You seem like an aweso me person, this is exactly why I like meeting new people! Even more excited for uni now :biggrin: aye can definitely say the same for me, going to make sure it's an awesome time and make the most of it :') hopefully others will too

I feel you! Today I got up at 12 in the afternoon - that in itself is quite bad for my daily routine standards though, to be fair. I still have yet to accept my accommodation offer; I did receive an email which provided a link but the portal seems to ask me to state my preferences again, rather than let me accept the offer I already have, which is quite odd. I've contacted the accommodation department about it so hopefully it'll be sorted out soon; I dont want to miss out on it! Oh great! I look forward to any events that may be arranged for our halls then. I particularly love evening events, strolling outside with a few drinks, talking to peeps. Definitely my idea of a crazy night out. Aaaw thank you, you seem awesome too! It feels good when you meet someone who seems similar in a few respects. Definitely looking forward to start Uni more now, too.
Hahaha I got up at 01:30 oops! I like staying up late here cause it's more peaceful and I go out for a walk at 3ish it's really great! Oh and stargazing keeps me up till late. Then the sun comes out so it's hard to sleep so I end up staging awake :L Oh dear that's worrying, but I'm sure they will sort it out soon. They have already finalised the people and accommodations more or less so you shouldn't lose your place. Hahaha yup peaceful walks with friends and drinks and meeting people sounds amazing :smile: Thank you! Yeah it does! Where are you from btw? I'm from blackburn
I feel you! Today I got up at 12 in the afternoon - that in itself is quite bad for my daily routine standards though, to be fair. I still have yet to accept my accommodation offer; I did receive an email which provided a link but the portal seems to ask me to state my preferences again, rather than let me accept the offer I already have, which is quite odd. I've contacted the accommodation department about it so hopefully it'll be sorted out soon; I dont want to miss out on it! Oh great! I look forward to any events that may be arranged for our halls then. I particularly love evening events, strolling outside with a few drinks, talking to peeps. Definitely my idea of a crazy night out. Aaaw thank you, you seem awesome too! It feels good when you meet someone who seems similar in a few respects. Definitely looking forward to start Uni more now, too.
Reply 10
Hahaha I got up at 01:30 oops! I like staying up late here cause it's more peaceful and I go out for a walk at 3ish it's really great! Oh and stargazing keeps me up till late. Then the sun comes out so it's hard to sleep so I end up staging awake :L Oh dear that's worrying, but I'm sure they will sort it out soon. They have already finalised the people and accommodations more or less so you shouldn't lose your place. Hahaha yup peaceful walks with friends and drinks and meeting people sounds amazing :smile: Thank you! Yeah it does! Where are you from btw? I'm from blackburn

That sounds really relaxing actually; I love stargazing but I dont get to do it that often because the stars don't appear very frequently. Oh crikey, do you get any sleep, at all? :') Yeah it's sorted now. I got a reply from the accommodation department and I just have to sign the hard copy version of the contract and send it back by post. Phew! I worry way too much. I'm from Leicestershire, so I'm pretty close to the Uni. That'll be handy for visiting family and moving out during holiday periods. :smile:
Also, sorry for the late replies. I tutor some GCSE people and today I was ringing them to tell them that I won't be available any longer cause of uni. :frown:
That sounds really relaxing actually; I love stargazing but get to do it often because the stars don't appear very frequently. ey, do you get any sleep, at all? :') Yeah it's sorted now. I got a reply frothe accommodation department and I just have to sign the hard copy version of the contract and send it back by post. Phew! I worry way too much. I'm from Leicestershire, so I'm pretty close to the Uni. That'll be handy for visiting family and moving out during holiday periods. :smile:

Yeah it is, it feels lovely :smile: I have been stargazing for a long time now and tbh england is too cloudy sometimes and too much light. I used to live in pakistan and stargazing was amazing then! I will probablybe doing a lot of it at uni too. 5ish hours hahaha :smile: That's great!! Wooop! Haha I usually don't worry much about myself atleast :L Good :smile: I'm like 2.5 hours away so ihave tkto think of what to do about movement later :frown:
But still can't wait :biggrin:
Speaking of stargazing, do you know if there is a rule that we have to be back in our rooms by a certain time?
Reply 14
Also, sorry for the late replies. I tutor some GCSE people and today I was ringing them to tell them that I won't be available any longer cause of uni. :frown:

No worries!

Speaking of stargazing, do you know if there is a rule that we have to be back in our rooms by a certain time?

Honestly I don't know. I don't think so.. I mean I've heard of no end of uni students going clubbing and staying out all night/morning. I really have no idea to be honest.
[QUOTI]No worries

Thank you :smile:

Honestly I don't know. I don't think so.. I mean I've heard of no end of uni students going clubbing and staying out all night/morning. I really have no idea to be honest.

aye, i hope they do. But my clubing is gonna be looking up at the night sky hahaha
Reply 16
[QUOTI]No worries

Thank you :smile:

aye, i hope they do. But my clubing is gonna be looking up at the night sky hahaha

Sounds much better to me! I'll join you on the green whilst everyone gets off their head, haha. I'm not a huge drinker. I like the occasional Kopparberg cider and the sorts but apart from that I dont have a huge taste for alcohol. So I hope I dont become subject to peer pressure with drinking. :redface:
aye,ope they do. But my clubing is gonna be looking up at the night sky hahaha

Sounds much better to me! I'll join you on the green whilst everyone gets off their head, haha not a huge ker. I like the occasional Kopparberg cider and the sorts but apart from that I dont have a huge taste for alcohol. So I hope I dont become subject to peer pressure with drinking. :redface:

Great! Gopd company is always welcome, looking forward to it :biggrin: That's good! I like Kopparberg just cause of the taste :smile: I also enjoy the occasional exquisite whiskey too(cause it makes me feel like a cool businessman when drinking from a glass decanitiser thingy) but definitely not a heavy drinker. I tried drinking a lot once and now my friends have a video of me doing pushups in the middle of the road so never happening again! xD aww don't worry I'm sure their is so much more interesting things we can do that peer pressure shouldn't be a problem :biggrin: hopefully there will be more people who want to avoid getting hammered a lot as well so should be fine :smile:
Reply 18
Great! Gopd company is always welcome, looking forward to it :biggrin: That's good! I like Kopparberg just cause of the taste :smile: I also enjoy the occasional exquisite whiskey too(cause it makes me feel like a cool businessman when drinking from a glass decanitiser thingy) but definitely not a heavy drinker. I tried drinking a lot once and now my friends have a video of me doing pushups in the middle of the road so never happening again! xD aww don't worry I'm sure their is so much more interesting things we can do that peer pressure shouldn't be a problem :biggrin: hopefully there will be more people who want to avoid getting hammered a lot as well so should be fine :smile:

It's so good to meet someone who can have a good time without feeling the need to get wasted! Kopparberg is definitely my favourite alcoholic drink; I only drink it for the taste too. Can't resist their strawberry and lime cider, oh my. I also love the taste of Bailey's Irish Cream in a small class; makes me feel very fancy. Haha, that sounds like an eventful first experience getting drunk! I've actually never been full on drunk, per say. I've only been a little merry a few times. But to be honest, chilling under the stars talking about random stuff sounds so much better. n-n
I know! I'm so relieved myself. It's so hard to find anyone here like that I was kinda worried it might be the same at Uni, so thankyou :smile: YES! ststrawberry and lime fore the win! I tried summer fruits but it was meh, so I always get strawberry instead :L I havemt tried that but sounds like my whiskey thing haha. Yeah I've only been like that once, it was funny for others but I didn't remember much and the next day wasn't good so I don't plan on doing that again. That's kinda good tbh. Having a few is okay but too much be bad, I only did it cause I gave into curiosity, I like trying out new things :smile: Yeah it is definitely better! I'm used to going alone and even then it is an amazing experience but with like minded company it will be awesome! I don't know if you like reading young adult books but there is this book called The fault in our stars by john green, I read it under the stars in candle light. Reading a book like that in such a breathtaking atmosphere is one of the best experiences I've had! :biggrin: Blackburn is usually filled with so called "gangsters" and "Lads" that no one can here ever liked such activities but I didn't stop cause hey that's just me :smile:

Quick Reply