The Student Room Group

Taking Maths GCSE at college?

Hi,

I remember around Sept 2013 Gove said that if you didn't get a C in Maths or English, you'll have to keep doing it at college.

My school didn't provide us with much information, and while I'm certain I got above a C in English, I'm really panicked about Maths as I found the paper really challenging.

Do I have to take it instead of one of my options? Will it be an after school thing? If I take the November entry and pass, what will I do for the remainder of my time at college?
Reply 1
hi,
from what i have been told by my college as i will have to re-sit maths is that you take it along side your qualification. I was told i might re-do GCSE Maths or do Functional Skills Maths

Hope It Helps

Ash.
Reply 2
Original post by asbushell
hi,
from what i have been told by my college as i will have to re-sit maths is that you take it along side your qualification. I was told i might re-do GCSE Maths or do Functional Skills Maths

Hope It Helps

Ash.

Ah. Okay. Did they mention anything else?
Reply 3
Original post by sandwad
Ah. Okay. Did they mention anything else?

No, sorry. If i was you i would inquire at your college/sixth form with the admissions department as they maybe able to advise you. What exam board did your school use for your maths exam?
Hi I finished a College course in June 14 I had to do GCSE Maths and English along side my access course. The college will put you in the Maths class that fits in with your course timetable you will find it will be full of people doing various courses that are in the same position as you. You will probably find a lot of it will be self directed learning, all I can advise is do as many past papers as you can. Getting your grades at college rather than school will not effect any uni applications.

Original post by sandwad
Hi,

I remember around Sept 2013 Gove said that if you didn't get a C in Maths or English, you'll have to keep doing it at college.

My school didn't provide us with much information, and while I'm certain I got above a C in English, I'm really panicked about Maths as I found the paper really challenging.

Do I have to take it instead of one of my options? Will it be an after school thing? If I take the November entry and pass, what will I do for the remainder of my time at college?
Reply 5
Original post by pauljames111
Hi I finished a College course in June 14 I had to do GCSE Maths and English along side my access course. The college will put you in the Maths class that fits in with your course timetable you will find it will be full of people doing various courses that are in the same position as you. You will probably find a lot of it will be self directed learning, all I can advise is do as many past papers as you can. Getting your grades at college rather than school will not effect any uni applications.

thank you, how easy did you find maths at college would you have preferred to re-sit at school or at college?

Ash :smile:

Quick Reply