The Student Room Group

Highlighting & contouring.

Tips for beginners, anyone?
(Including what products you personally like to use etc!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by colourpurple
Tips for beginners, anyone?
(Including what products you personally like to use etc!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sleek highlight and contouring pallette is good for beginners and is fairly cheap too.
I usually use a revlon concealer 2 shades lighter under the eyes and forehead, then use then contour with the sleek pallette.
Apologies for hijacking your thread but i need advice on this. No matter how hard i try to highlight and contour my face, it never turns out the way i want it to. I have watched countless youtube tutorials on highlighting and contouring and can't seem to achieve the look they all achieve.
I am using the following products:
Smashbox photo finish primer
MAC Studio fix fluid NW25
MAC Studio fix powder, NW25
MAC Pro Longwear concealer, NW20
MAC prep and prime highlighter in the shade radiant rose
Benefit Hoola Bronzer
I am using a variety of real techniques brushes to blend everything out. The main problem is that my makeup tends to look too caked on in the 'highlighted' areas under my eyes. I am considering not using the concealer in order to make it less 'cakey' looking, although i find that the mac pro longwear concealer is the only one that actually covers my dark under eye circles. In addition, i always feel like my 'contour' isn't visible at all, should i apply more bronzer? can anyone give any advice?
Original post by lisam191
Apologies for hijacking your thread but i need advice on this. No matter how hard i try to highlight and contour my face, it never turns out the way i want it to. I have watched countless youtube tutorials on highlighting and contouring and can't seem to achieve the look they all achieve.
Benefit Hoola Bronzer
I am using a variety of real techniques brushes to blend everything out. The main problem is that my makeup tends to look too caked on in the 'highlighted' areas under my eyes. I am considering not using the concealer in order to make it less 'cakey' looking, although i find that the mac pro longwear concealer is the only one that actually covers my dark under eye circles. In addition, i always feel like my 'contour' isn't visible at all, should i apply more bronzer? can anyone give any advice?

Wow, you have really high-end products there - I'm jealous!

Maybe you're putting too much on straight away? I put a very small amount dotted up my cheekbones, and then blend, blend, blend! I then repeat this a few times, layering the highlight and contour alternately so there's not so much of a 'lined' look. Hope this helps!
Benefit Hoola Bronzer

Is your concealer a stick or a liquid? If it's the stick/solid kind try a liquid one. Also don't smear it on over the whole area, put a few dots on and dab it in with your finger. Again with contouring build it up slowly, layer by layer. I generally put it on in quite a harsh line with an angled brush then blend it out really well with just a blusher type brush. On your cheeks always blend the bronzer downwards, don't go back up to your cheek bone. Don't know if any of that helps! ^.^
Sleek contour kit is very good and blendable. It's a powder form, and they do different shades (light, medium, dark). It's £6.99 on Amazon :smile:
I just use a standard bronzer for contouring, I think it's maybeline. And for highlighting I use benefit watts up. I always do the contouring first, under my.cheekbones, along my jawline and hairline and the sides of my.nose. and then highlight the middle.of.my nose, forehead, under eyes, chin and under eyebrows. Then I just add publisher to.my cheeks. Took ages the first few times but now it's super quick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I use either the bourjois chocolate bronzer or benefit hoola and for highlighting I use benefit girl meets pearl - absolutely amazing! Also, make sure to use a tapered brush for the contouring - Real Techniques blush brush is a really good affordable option :smile:
Benefit Hoola Bronzer

Hmm, contouring takes practice and I'm still learning too but I found using a concealer that's 2 shades lighter and a foundation a shade darker works best for me. My powder is always the right shade as I use it to set. I don't use bronzer so I wouldn't know what to do with that. So here's how I do it: highlight under eyes, bridge of nose, chin and forehead with concealer. I make sure that I blend it really well before I start contouring. I use the Real Techniques blending sponge for this. To contour I just shadow the highlight and blend. I set with powder. I wish I could upload a video of my attempts lol, so much easier than explaining it in writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending